• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle/Pistol shooters and Shotgun Fitting.... an interesting experience!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Yesterday, dropped my Boss project off at a gunsmith/stockmaker in Michigan and for the first time ever, got measured on a try stock and some 'professional' instruction in the English Instinctive Style of Shotgun shooting. Picked up a lot of interesting info and tips... but also learned something that I would pass on to my fellow rifle-shooters. Because it was surprising but, I guess, not surprising.

The gun I am having restocked is the Boss in another thread. It fits me nicely but is too long. Lots of cast. And cracked at the sidelocks, necessitating replacement. Stocker had a try gun, so that's where we started... in case the Boss was way off. I had also brought my Purdey with me (the one I put the new buttplate on). Because that fits me like a glove and I never miss with it.

We started with some mounting exerciese and the 'smith/instructor adjusted my 'style' a bit. Some Very good tips, like pivot the gun at the muzzle, not the hinge pin when coming up (brilliant). And roll your head onto the stock as you come up. Also brilliant. Above, I mention 'style' in quotations because I honestly have no shotgun shooting style. I grew up shooting a shotgun only at grouse, pretty much. And when you hunt grouse with no dog, the only style is 'get your gun up fast, while the thunder chicken scares the beejeebers out of you and always launches when you have one foot in the air and your gun tied up in a moose whip." If you want to hit anything, all you do is get on a blur fast and slap the trigger. Later, when I started to shoot some clays and skeet, I sort of did the same thing. Always shooting from low gun... And did ok. But never had any training or 'style.' But I did mention that I had a lot of formal training with rifle and pistol and a lot of round count on both... at which point he said "This could get interesting." And left it at that.

So we head out to the patterning range with the full-choke try gun. He set it with 'about' the same dimensions as my Purdey as I never miss with it. And I fire my first three shots. All are low and left, but right on top of each other, leaving a softball patch blasted out of the paint on the patterning target. So he adjusts the stock. I fire three more and... Three shots right in exactly the same place, right on top of each other. So he adjusts the stock again... adding a lot more comb and cast. And I fire three more shots... basically in exactly the same place. I am missing every shot, but missing very consistently!

So at this point, he suggested I get my Purdey and try that. Using his 'coaching' and tips I learned... three shots were patterned absolutely perfectly around the patterning target. So he went back and reset the try gun... and three shots, low and left. At this point he sort of lets me on the hint he gave earlier (???!!!???) Which is that try guns and rifle/pistol shooters often don't mix. Even though we may be using the right 'style' for pointing and head placement, etc. we are so conditioned to use 'sights' and not just look over a bead, that he can move the try gun stock virtually anywhere and we'll consistently hit where we hit. And adapt to the gun, stock dimensions be damned.

Next, we tried the Boss, which is still about 1/4" long, but ok. I can mount it fine. And... three shots dead nuts in the center of the patterning target. One on top of the other. He tries both guns... both of them shoot almost a foot high for him. Regulated way up! He put the measuring stick on both guns and they are both very close in dimensions (coincidence, really) and both have a lot of cast off. Almost identical except for LOP, in fact. So the 'new' Boss stock will be about the same dimensions as the 'old' Boss stock. And the two guns will match almost perfectly.

The moral of the story is that if you are an experienced rifle shooter and thinking about getting into a 'vintage' shotgun... be really conscious of what you are buying. Because fit means a lot... Also if you are ordering something special, before trying to rely on a fitting or a try gun, maybe find a shotgun that fits you and bring it to help with the fitting. It was an interesting revelation, but something the gunsmith hinted at before we started. Folks who shoot rifles and pistols a lot are often great shotgun shooters. But shoot in a very different way and may struggle with some of the 'classic' teaching techniques, especially the 'English' styles.

Figured this would more interesting to us Vintage folks... Thus the post here.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Bonehead move of the year. Got all done after about 4 hours. Loaded up my stuff and case and left the Boss for its restock. And took off. About 2 hours away, I got a call from the gunsmith. "You left your Purdey on my bench." DOHHHHHH!! I'm on my way bird hunting on the other side of Lake Michigan. Dammit! Turn around and 4 hour round trip backtrack to get my gun. I'd put an empty case in my truck. Carrying so much stuff I didn't notice that the weight was not right. If I live to be 100, that's going to be one of my biggest bonehead moves of all time. And, of course, it is UP Leaf Peeping season... so a 90 mile each way trip is about 2.5 hours... not 2. $%$#@ing %$# Holy %$@#!!!! But all's well that ends well. Good thing the 'smith noticed my gun on his bench when he did. Because if I'd gotten to the West side of the lake without my gun... I'd have been pissed! Did I mention Bonehead?

Yesterday, dropped my Boss project off at a gunsmith/stockmaker in Michigan and for the first time ever, got measured on a try stock and some 'professional' instruction in the English Instinctive Style of Shotgun shooting. Picked up a lot of interesting info and tips... but also learned something that I would pass on to my fellow rifle-shooters. Because it was surprising but, I guess, not surprising.

The gun I am having restocked is the Boss in another thread. It fits me nicely but is too long. Lots of cast. And cracked at the sidelocks, necessitating replacement. Stocker had a try gun, so that's where we started... in case the Boss was way off. I had also brought my Purdey with me (the one I put the new buttplate on). Because that fits me like a glove and I never miss with it.

We started with some mounting exerciese and the 'smith/instructor adjusted my 'style' a bit. Some Very good tips, like pivot the gun at the muzzle, not the hinge pin when coming up (brilliant). And roll your head onto the stock as you come up. Also brilliant. Above, I mention 'style' in quotations because I honestly have no shotgun shooting style. I grew up shooting a shotgun only at grouse, pretty much. And when you hunt grouse with no dog, the only style is 'get your gun up fast, while the thunder chicken scares the beejeebers out of you and always launches when you have one foot in the air and your gun tied up in a moose whip." If you want to hit anything, all you do is get on a blur fast and slap the trigger. Later, when I started to shoot some clays and skeet, I sort of did the same thing. Always shooting from low gun... And did ok. But never had any training or 'style.' But I did mention that I had a lot of formal training with rifle and pistol and a lot of round count on both... at which point he said "This could get interesting." And left it at that.

So we head out to the patterning range with the full-choke try gun. He set it with 'about' the same dimensions as my Purdey as I never miss with it. And I fire my first three shots. All are low and left, but right on top of each other, leaving a softball patch blasted out of the paint on the patterning target. So he adjusts the stock. I fire three more and... Three shots right in exactly the same place, right on top of each other. So he adjusts the stock again... adding a lot more comb and cast. And I fire three more shots... basically in exactly the same place. I am missing every shot, but missing very consistently!

So at this point, he suggested I get my Purdey and try that. Using his 'coaching' and tips I learned... three shots were patterned absolutely perfectly around the patterning target. So he went back and reset the try gun... and three shots, low and left. At this point he sort of lets me on the hint he gave earlier (???!!!???) Which is that try guns and rifle/pistol shooters often don't mix. Even though we may be using the right 'style' for pointing and head placement, etc. we are so conditioned to use 'sights' and not just look over a bead, that he can move the try gun stock virtually anywhere and we'll consistently hit where we hit. And adapt to the gun, stock dimensions be damned.

Next, we tried the Boss, which is still about 1/4" long, but ok. I can mount it fine. And... three shots dead nuts in the center of the patterning target. One on top of the other. He tries both guns... both of them shoot almost a foot high for him. Regulated way up! He put the measuring stick on both guns and they are both very close in dimensions (coincidence, really) and both have a lot of cast off. Almost identical except for LOP, in fact. So the 'new' Boss stock will be about the same dimensions as the 'old' Boss stock. And the two guns will match almost perfectly.

The moral of the story is that if you are an experienced rifle shooter and thinking about getting into a 'vintage' shotgun... be really conscious of what you are buying. Because fit means a lot... Also if you are ordering something special, before trying to rely on a fitting or a try gun, maybe find a shotgun that fits you and bring it to help with the fitting. It was an interesting revelation, but something the gunsmith hinted at before we started. Folks who shoot rifles and pistols a lot are often great shotgun shooters. But shoot in a very different way and may struggle with some of the 'classic' teaching techniques, especially the 'English' styles.

Figured this would more interesting to us Vintage folks... Thus the post here.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Bonehead move of the year. Got all done after about 4 hours. Loaded up my stuff and case and left the Boss for its restock. And took off. About 2 hours away, I got a call from the gunsmith. "You left your Purdey on my bench." DOHHHHHH!! I'm on my way bird hunting on the other side of Lake Michigan. Dammit! Turn around and 4 hour round trip backtrack to get my gun. I'd put an empty case in my truck. Carrying so much stuff I didn't notice that the weight was not right. If I live to be 100, that's going to be one of my biggest bonehead moves of all time. And, of course, it is UP Leaf Peeping season... so a 90 mile each way trip is about 2.5 hours... not 2. $%$#@ing %$# Holy %$@#!!!! But all's well that ends well. Good thing the 'smith noticed my gun on his bench when he did. Because if I'd gotten to the West side of the lake without my gun... I'd have been pissed! Did I mention Bonehead?

Bryan Billinski's place?

Could you please be a little more of a poor lol. I like this section, but I feel like I’m too poor to even read y’alls posts.
Just for you, I will go out later and buy a Hi Point!!!

LOL!! Hey, through the miracle of sweat-equity, you don’t have to be rich to enjoy nice things. You just have to be patient and have attention to detail! It’s what “restoration” is all about!

Sirhr

Just for you, I will go out later and buy a Hi Point!!!

LOL!! Hey, through the miracle of sweat-equity, you don’t have to be rich to enjoy nice things. You just have to be patient and have attention to detail! It’s what “restoration” is all about!

Sirhr
I know, I’m just giving you shit.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Ok... so here's what poors get up to...

My first shotgun. Bought with my own money. A whopping $7! From a guy who worked on the farm named Tom. It had a broken-to-fragments stock. Barrels were/are about 22 inches. No choke of course. It's actually a pretty high-grade sidelock by a company called Tobin Arms. They were a legit L.C. Smith competitor. Moved to Ontario in the '20's but started in Connecticut.

Oh and one firing pin was broken.

It became one of my first 'restorations.' I know I had to be at least 15 because I drove several places to get 'help' fixing it. And had a farm license here at 15. So would have been summer '80 or so.

tobin 1.jpg
tobin 2.jpg
tobin 3.jpg

The stock is a piece of Walnut I got at a local mill. It's not really good 'stock' walnut. But it was cheap. Maybe even free. I think the Lemire's took pity on me when I showed them the project. Anyway, it was walnut. And relatively straight. With the help of a local gunsmith named Herb Parkhurst, we carved and inletted the stock. He did the inletting. I did rough shaping and then the final sanding and oil finishing. Later it cracked again and shrank, so I did my first epoxy bedding job. And it hasn't cracked since.

The firing pin was made in school metal shop. I still remember the shop teacher, Brent Hoskings. (Hoskins?). Big blonde afro and missing a finger. Really. He gave my my first lathe lesson and we turned the firing pin from a piece of mild steel then heated it and quenched it in oil. It broke. So we made another one and heated it and put it in Kasenit. It's still working to this day.

Later, I got into scrimshaw and made the duck inlay out of beef bone and inlet it in the stock. I was styling!!! I had a sidelock double with an ivory (!?!) inlet scrimshaw duck on it!

No chokes. It simply blasted out lead. But was and is (I have not shot it in 25 years!) deadly on birds. Just a massive spray of lead downrange. I killed a lot of grouse with this gun!

In 1992, I bought my first 'good' double at the Houston Gun show. A c. 1935 Browning Superposed Lightning 12 ga, choked Sk Sk. A few months later, I bought a DelGrego Restored Parker Trojan... and it was the finest gun I ever had in my life. Killed a ton of geese and ducks with that gun! Those three are what started it all! Including, in part, my love of restoring things.

So that's what poors get up to. And how it begins. It also gives one an appreciation of why you should work your ass off so you can collect fine things... while having an appreciation of how much hard work went into making them into... fine things! And it's far more fun than just handing over cash and having no clue what you are now entrusted with!

I joined the Cult of Precision at a very young age! Drank deep of the Kool-Aid! Everyone should!!!! Fine guns, cars, watches, clocks, furniture, optics, models... You name it! It's a great path to follow!

Cheers,

Sirhr