• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Project

ropewalker1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2005
texas
Brothers, I'm contemplating a build. I have an M-24 stock, that's been in the safe,for years. It's for a Remington,
Long Action. Present plan, subject to changes. Stiller
TAC-300 Action, Badger .250 Lug, Jewell trigger, Badger
1913 Picatinny Rail , Badger 30mm Rings , USO SN-3 Optics ,
Bartlein Barrel , 1-11 5R LH twist , 1.250 no taper X 26", Heavy Fluting for weight.
Tight .298 , Tight Chamber , Target Crown , Remington Finish ,
Caliber 30 06 , Match ammo. Give it to Me straight , changes
and why. I know You Guys speak Your minds. I'll listen and
offer no arguments. Thanks

Re: Rifle Project

I'd go 300WM if I was you. 30-06 isn't used in military applications anymore because the 338LM and the 300WM are better ranged rounds.

Good Luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

And I don't know about those tight chambers for tactical rifles. I would get more feedback before you go that route. 30-06 is not a bad round but I probably would go.300 WM since you have the long action. Thats what I have but I wish it was a WSM. Good luck in whatever route you go.

I'm hearing ya, Roseberry and B1B. I guess I'm too sentimental.
I was influenced by legends. The venerable 06 served it's nation
of origin with some distinction and honorably for 60+ years.
Then there was a country boy,turned Marine Sniper. I read in
something He wrote once, on His second RVN tour, the 06 had been
replaced with the 08 and He wasn't happy about it. I also read
somewhere that with the proper load, the 06 was right on the
heels of the 300. I have two Remy's. One in 300WM and one 300RUM.
They are both punisher's. Another reason for that selection was
because, I have a Cobb MCR in 06 and thought the M24 in 06 would
be unique and a good platform for load development. It's not like
I'm a one gun shooter. I'm still not arguing, just splaining.

.30-06 is fine, but .300WM will be more versatile.

Tight chambers are bad unless this is going to be a fair weather bench gun. Take it out in the rain and you will be beating on the bolt handle.

The Jewel trigger is also not something I would put on a down and dirty gun. Dirt and grit has caused problems with them before.

I shoot a 30-06 about 75fps off the common speeds guys get from 300's with the 208gr Amax bullets. If you want a reproduction rifle, then the 300 WM would be the current choice for an M24. From a cost of ownership standpoint, the 30-06 is a little cheaper in both loaded ammo and reloading components. It's also more common to find in some backwater store if you lose/ruin your ammo out on a hunt.

The 30-06 will do well to 1500yd, some people shoot it further. It is actually a better ballistics option than a 338 LM with 250 SMK's in it, you need the 300gr SMK's to beat out the 30-06 when you run it hard with 208gr bullets.

The case head on the 300WM can take more pressure than the 30-06 can take, really, it's a toss up for the large majority of the shooting you probably would be doing.

If you're not slaved to a 30 caliber, IE, you don't care too much about the reproduction of an M24 then look into a 7mm round, especially a 280 Rem. The ballistics of the heavy 7mm bullets out there surpass anything till you get to the heavy 338's. My 7mm/270 will fly a little flatter than a 338 LM with 300 SMK's in it to a mile. The cost to reload with the Bergers is about $0.65/round depending which powder I use.

I agree with LoneWolf on both aspects of the tight chamber and the jewel trigger. If you want a bench rest rifle or a range queen then there isn't much better than a jewell trigger, but they have a high failure rate in the field from what LowLight has said.

I have an old style Rem trigger that is safely adjusted to about 2.25lb, it hasn't failed me in dirty/crappy conditions and it's easy to shoot.

My 30-06 has a min spec + 0.0005" headspace chamber. When it gets very warm it becomes hard to chamber the rounds. It's mostly a range queen, I don't have any plans to drag it through the mud just to try it out.

I cut the 7/270 chamber to min spec + 0.002" because the plan for the rifle is tactical competitions, I want to make sure it chambers all the time, every time. It shoots in the 0.1-0.2 100y groups with 162 Amax's. I'm still working on a load for Bergers so I can't tell you how it will do yet with them.

All in all, if you're not tied to the 30 calibers then a 7mm would suit you well.

For the cost of a Stiller you might also look at the Surgeon actions. Just to keep your eyes open for actions.

hey guys good site , this is my first post and i am starting to turn a Turkish Mauser into a nice long range shooter .
i personally have not heard of any one using the original 8x57
chambering , witch dont mean anything . i have rifles in
30-06 , 6.5x55 , 7x57 , 308 , 303 , and they all do fine for what there used for . i just like the old mausers .
and my long is 600 - 800 yards . any and all advice or info would be welcomed thanks

I would really suggest you start a new thread so as not to derail the OP's thread.

Also a friendly suggestion to fill out your profile before you get reamed by the other members. It's kind of a courtesy thing here. Guys don't think to put much effort into helping you if you don't put much effort into identifying yourself to us.

you wanted it straight well here it goes the barrel is just too freakin big for a tactical rifle. I would say with no taper at 1.25 it will be really barrel heavy and will be really hard to shoot in any position other than prone. If it were me i would taper the barrel down to .900 at the largest, even that will be a big bitch if we are talking straight taper. i also agree with everyone else no go on the tight chamber, it will prove alot more finicky than a standard chamber. Lastly I would consider going with a 10 twist in case you deciede you would like to shoot the really heavy bullets like the 210 bergers or 220smk's.

I'm a hearin ya Diggler. Your advise seems spot on. You didn't
comment on Caliber. 06 or 300 ?

I'm with Diggler. I would go even smaller. .830-.850. You're going to have to carry it. Really with 30-06 or 300wm, a Sendero contour will be more than adequate. 1 in 10 twist for the heavy pills that are available now and the ones that may pop up in the future. Never know what companies like Berger and Hornady will turn out next. Though I've never owned a 30-06, I would go 300wm if your set on one or the other. The 06 may be on the heels of the 300 but it's not out front. Get all you can out of your choices, and I'm just a 300 nut. Can't say much about the trigger. I have a jewell and really like it. No issues. I only wish the trigger itself had a wider footprint. For what it's worth, I have a Remington trigger on a rifle tuned by GAP and it's perfect.

sorry for leaving that part out, it might not be as popular but i would vote for the 06 rather than the 300wm if you don't have a 308 currently, however if you do then a why not roll with the 300wm. These are the choices I would make if were buying factory ammo or wanted a replica type rifle. however I think if you reload I would take a look at a few of the 7mm's like, 284, 280, 280ai, 7mm rem mag. for the handloader i just think their is a better selection of target bullets for the 7mm.

Just so you understand my bias i am currently shooting a 284 on a rem 700 la with badger m5 dbm and it feeds flawless. checkout the ballistics on the 162 amax that i am pushing at 3030fps with under 55gr of powder. you can get similar results with any of the other 7mms also.

for the record i have nothing against the 06 or 300wm they are both great calibers. I do favor the 06 over the 300wm since it shoots about 20grs less powder and has similar velocities.