• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Recommendation New To Long Distance Shooting

C130

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2023
    Magnolia, TX
    First post and I'm pretty much clueless on long distance shooting so I apologize. I shoot pistols quite a bit, almost weekly, and AR15's a decent amount and prefer nice stuff. I shoot mostly Atlas and Staccato's pistol wise and Noveske, KAC, and Geissele AR's. All of my rifles are .223/5.56 or 300BLK and I've shot bolt actions very little in my life (55 years old).

Long story short I recently joined a range with distances up to 1100 yards. I have been shooting my AR's there and trying to learn the basics of longer distance shooting and work my way out to 500 yards. Each time I've been to this range someone has offered to let me shoot their bolt action rifle at 1100 yards. So, now I'm hooked as they warned me I would be before shooting them.

I'm most likely about 3-4 months, maybe less, from buying something for long distance, out to 1100-1200 yards at least. Both guns I shot were 6.5CM and is what they recommended. I want a very nice scope, willing to spend up to around $4,000 and leaning towards a Nightforce since I am familiar with them on one of my AR's. Gun wise, I'd say around $5,000. Saying that, I don't want to waste money or spend any unnecessarily but I do like nice stuff. The Barrel MRAD has caught my attention, any thoughts on that or can I get a much better rifle for the money? I'm open to any and all suggestions on scopes, rifles, etc. I just joined this forum a day or two ago but have been searching and reading lots of threads also. Thanks

There’s a thousand ways to go.

1 do you reload?

2 do you want to buy a rifle built or buy parts and have a smith assemble it?

What the same $9000 got me

ZCO 527 with ZCO ring base

TL3 left bolt right eject

Bartlien barrel

Manners adjustable carbon fiber stock with a mini chasis

Trigger Tech Diamond

Area 419 Hellfire Match

Send It level

Gunsmith fees

I am very happy with this decision but it may take a few months to assemble parts and have the work done. I did it this way because I wanted exactly what I wanted.

Alamo Precision usually have some ready to ship in your price range.

As stated above, check out Alamo precision rifles. They did a barreled action for me in 6 dasher and I dropped it in a chassis. Topped it with a razor gen 2. The rifle is a tac driver. Sounds like you have a bigger budget than I did, maybe check out their “range boss” rifle. Pick a caliber, top it with a ZCO or TT and have fun.

Just my .02

Thanks, don't reload, might do it in the future but it would be at least a couple of years or more most likely. I'm leaning towards buying a rifle already built but certainly open to anything. While I certainly don't need anything that great with my current long range skills I'd rather buy something on the higher end scale now rather than want to upgrade in a year, probably less, with my history.

Also, my son is left handed, I'm right, not sure if that matters much or there are any options where one gun might be beneficial over another. He's 22 and shoots with me when he's home from college. He's going to law school within the next year and will be closer so hopefully we'll get to shoot together more.

As stated above, check out Alamo precision rifles. They did a barreled action for me in 6 dasher and I dropped it in a chassis. Topped it with a razor gen 2. The rifle is a tac driver. Sounds like you have a bigger budget than I did, maybe check out their “range boss” rifle. Pick a caliber, top it with a ZCO or TT and have fun.

Just my .02

Thanks, I certainly don't want to waste any money and prefer to spend less, rather than more, but want to get something where I won't want to upgrade in the near future also. I've had a bad habit of that in the past so trying to avoid that for now.:ROFLMAO:

I do want to take my time and do plenty of research before making any decisions. Most everyone I have met at the range has been more than willing to help but I'm so new to it I don't know enough to really ask much but I'm reading and trying to learn as much as I can for now. Appreciate all of the info.

I live in Magnolia, looks like you're in Houston. Just joined CCC in Navasota.

I also shoot left handed. Shooting an off handed rifle from the bench is easy money and often easier. Shooting it prone is who other ball game.

I was just looking at this lefty from Alamo that meets your (sons) requirements.

In fact I was looking at that before you mentioned your son.

Reactions: C130
    Awesome. I’ve done a couple matches at CCC and have taken my dad out there a couple times. Tons of fun shooting there

Thanks, don't reload, might do it in the future but it would be at least a couple of years or more most likely. I'm leaning towards buying a rifle already built but certainly open to anything. While I certainly don't need anything that great with my current long range skills I'd rather buy something on the higher end scale now rather than want to upgrade in a year, probably less, with my history.

Also, my son is left handed, I'm right, not sure if that matters much or there are any options where one gun might be beneficial over another. He's 22 and shoots with me when he's home from college. He's going to law school within the next year and will be closer so hopefully we'll get to shoot together more.
    Our son is also left handed and I’m right handed. Our experience is that while it is possible, its definitely not preferable. Almost better to purchase two rifles. Both GAP and MPA produce rifles in the $2500 range, leaving a good bit on the table for scopes and accessories. Add another 1000 to your 9 and you should have plenty to get decent scopes and accessories. Not the best, but even in today’s market, pretty darned good.

Better go that way, if you both want to shoot.

6.5 or 6 Creedmoor gives you plenty of factory options. I’d choose the 6 CM but that said, I own two 6.5’s and a 6GT.

Reactions: Savageman2506
    Thanks, don't reload, might do it in the future but it would be at least a couple of years or more most likely.

Remember when those guys told you you'd get hooked on long range?

I'll give you another prediction: you'll start reloading within 6 months of getting your rifle.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
    I would recommend getting an action such as a lone peak, impact or many of the others that they make prefit barrels for. Find someone to spin you up a prefit barrel of your caliber choice. You can have barrels made and sent to you and screw them on to the action yourself with very few tools. Then find you a good chassis (mdt or xlr) or mini chassis stock like a manners so you don’t have to worry about bedding. Then a triggertech trigger and put it all together and you’ll have yourself a very capable rifle that you won’t need to upgrade anytime soon. This way if you want to switch calibers or get another barrel Any competent gunsmith can spin you up a barrel and you don’t have to send the whole rifle in.
    Chassis $1000-1500
    Barrel $7-800
    Action $800-1500
    Trigger $150-300

6-6.5 creedmoor
    6gt
    6dasher
    6br
    All popular choices but some might require custom ammo if you don’t reload.

Last edited:
    What about the AI AT-X? Multi caliber and competition ready with quick change barrel feature.
    Or if you want to change barrel for magnum caliber, can build your own using the Long action version of the Terminus Zeus action(magnum or Lapua bolt face bolt), the rest(chassis, trigger, barrel and scope with ring or mount) you can buy online and put all together within 15minutes. Just order an additional bolt in 308 bolt face, then you are good for most of the calibers.

Lot's of different ways you can go, with that budget, what I ended up going with was the AIAT and a ZCO 5-27x scope. Had a Surgeon build for a while with a Nightforce ATACR, worked fine, much happier with the ZCO glass and the AIAT as I could switch really easily between 6.5CM/6CM/.308 just by switching the barrel.

Then as time went on, sold that and moved to an AXSR, once 1k yards is not enough, switch the barrel and bolt and move to .300 NM, .300 PRC etc. Fun stuff!

Reactions: CSTactical
    rifle: GA Precision with heavy-contoured Bartlein barrel. NO FLUTING. this is a range rifle, you want the weight.
    scope: March, Nightforce, vortex razor, any number of top end scopes with Japanese glass.

Last edited:
    Thanks for all of the info, I'll be looking at all of the suggestions and doing some research on them.

If your going to be shooting factory loads I would get a barrel tuner. Won't make it perfect but i'll help
    Me personally I would go 6.5 prc.
    It has plenty of options out there especially if your ordering online.

Reactions: Joemidd
    A premium rifle system is a great way to go; AI, TRG, Cadex. The AI can be a bit modular if you want to step up to some larger cartridges in the future

But if you want the ultimate in flexibility choose a custom action with replaceable bolt heads and have pre-fit barrels available. Then all you need to do is disassemble your firearm Lego kit and re-assemble it however you want

I’ll also beat the reloading drum. There is decent factory ammo available but reloading is a good way to tighten your groups up.

Another option would be a MPA built rifle. Here's what I would recommend.

Matrix Pro, color of your choice, right hand, 6.5 creedmoor, heavy varmint, polished or black barrel finish, 26 inch barrel, no glass bedding, Impact 737 action. It's already got a Triggertech Diamond, which is a superb trigger.

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-matrix-rifle-rifle/

Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 mrad. If you qualify for a LE/MIL or first responder category, Euro Optic has some pretty phenominal discounts.

https://www.eurooptic.com/eurooptic-industry-le-military-ffl-vip-accounts.aspx

I am well past a Tikka but it’s hard to argue when they win. I know we have a lot of serious competitors on here but everyone is not in that boat. I see a guy with a CTR and a SS 5-20 take home money everywhere he goes. He’s less than $2500 all in buying both used then adding accessories. Sometimes it’s the Indian.

Reactions: carbonbased
    AI AT-X 6.5 CM if you want out of the box or buy an Impact and whatever flavor of chassis and barrel you want.

I wouldn't split your budget to build a second rifle for your kid. If all you're doing is casual LR shooting or matches he can run a RH rifle just fine, if he gets serious about LR shooting and wants to go shoot matches and have every advantage then yes he'll want a LH rifle but theres no reason to cross that bridge now.

Would not be a Snipershide thread without at least one, get a tikka get a tikka :)
    For the $$$ budget he mentioned, it's the smartest way to get TWO good rifles, scopes, and kits for his LH son and his RH self.

If he only wants one rifle, he can build on a custom Terminus Zeus QC action, Bartlein, Krieger, Brux barrel, and one of the full ambidextrous chassis that are available. A quality one piece mount topped with a NF ATACR F1 or ZCO.

Reactions: CSTactical
    I’m thinking this gun is going to be all about me:ROFLMAO: He‘s already ripped me off enough taking two or three pistols and always trying to take an AR or two back to college. I do have him sent up on my trust so he gets to use the suppressors, SBR’s, etc. We shoot sporting clays also and he‘s wanting a left handed shotgun (blames the shotgun for getting beat) so that might be his next gun. He did get to shoot one of the guys rifle at the range so I’m sure he’ll get hooked on long distance shooting also, he really liked it.

Appreciate all of the advice, looking at all of the options!

Another option would be a MPA built rifle. Here's what I would recommend.

Matrix Pro, color of your choice, right hand, 6.5 creedmoor, heavy varmint, polished or black barrel finish, 26 inch barrel, no glass bedding, Impact 737 action. It's already got a Triggertech Diamond, which is a superb trigger.

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-matrix-rifle-rifle/

Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 mrad. If you qualify for a LE/MIL or first responder category, Euro Optic has some pretty phenominal discounts.

https://www.eurooptic.com/eurooptic-industry-le-military-ffl-vip-accounts.aspx

yes I’m eligible for a military discount, thanks for the info.

Reactions: stevieb92
    Now, this build has my attention. I'm not sure of the costs but know it's not cheap looking at the components.

Now, this build has my attention. I'm not sure of the costs but know it's not cheap looking at the components.

https://diprecision.com/ put it together, in brenham so not far from you.

pretty standard build, impact barreled action, mpa chassis and a leupold scope.

Go to Texas Precision Matches club match in navasota on June 10th, there will be many variations of similar rifles on the line, theyll all let you get a feel for em and probably talk your ear off about what they do and dont like about their set ups.

Personally I dont like a push feed and prefer controlled round feed so I dont like that build for myself. About half the builds on the line will be that same thing though so clearly many do. Thats why I suggest going and feeling them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Schütze and C130

Great components:

- Impact action: ~$1500
    - MPA Matrix Chassis: ~$1500
    - Barrel: ~$500 - you can get a prefit for a couple hundred more
    - Triggertech Diamond: ~$300
    - Bipod: Take your pick: ~$300 - $500 - $^^^
    - Brake: If you reload, you don't need a tuner/brake. Many good ones for ~$150 - $250

I'll leave the scope and mount out and just focus on the rifle. These components would put you somewhere in the ~$4500 range. Then, either you could put it together yourself, or have someone do it for you. If you do it yourself, you want a torque wrench, a barrel vise, and an action wrench. Prices vary on having someone do it for you.

Reactions: Schütze and C130
    Thanks, I'll try and make it to the event at CCC on the 10th and think my son will be home to go also.

I know a lot of the components were already mentioned so appreciate all of the info. Being clueless on most of them I'm now beginning to understand it all a little more. I have an Atlas bipod, not sure it's the best one for this type of rifle or not as I can't remember the exact model.

Just wait until some asshat suggests a savage. Then this rodeo’s gonna really kick off
    Ohhh.....I`m pretty certain that anyone who might suggest evaluating a Savage rifle has been well run off this board by now ( unless it`s someone new to the board that`s accustomed to civil debate and discussion as is found on other sites ).

I have an Atlas bipod, not sure it's the best one for this type of rifle or not as I can't remember the exact model.

Atlas makes a very good bipod. For basic shooting, I have an Atlas CAL with a Really Right Stuff head that will go onto either Arca or Pic rail. If memory serves, the bipod was about $300 and the head was like $250. For longer ranges (1 mi+), I currently use a Phoenix, but I am looking at getting something a little more compact.

Reactions: matt33
    Ohhh.....I`m pretty certain that anyone who might suggest evaluating a Savage rifle has been well run off this board by now ( unless it`s someone new to the board that`s accustomed to civil debate and discussion as is found on other sites ).
    They’re still around but they don’t slither out from their rocks very often

I would suggest you do some thinking on the primary purpose of this rifle build. Is it for PRS comps? The rifle you see in the video is built primarily for PRS. Most PRS shooters would be happy with a half-MOA rifle—you are primarily trying to hit a 1-3 MOA steel plate at various distances. For PRS you need a rifle with a magazine, has to be relatively light enough to move quickly between stations, well balanced, and easy to get back on target after shot. There are many good PRS shooters on this forum that can guide you in that direction.

On the other hand, if you will be shooting out to 1000-1200 yards as you say, and accuracy is your only concern, and you will be shooting paper targets for score, then you may want something else. In that case, look at what F-class guys use.

Heres a good thread that covers this difference:

Reactions: JulianD and C130
    Wonder why the mods don`t just install a filter that eliminates any post with the word " Savage " in it? I mean, what worthwhile information could POSSIBLY be imparted by such obviously sub-human cretins??

Wonder why the mods don`t just install a filter that eliminates any post with the word " Savage " in it? I mean, what worthwhile information could POSSIBLY be imparted by such obviously sub-human cretins??
    That’s easy. Just do the exact opposite of what they’re suggesting

That’s easy. Just do the exact opposite of what they’re suggesting
    Yea, brother! That`s inciteful wisdom! However, I think that even though they are wretches that wander aimlessly in a desolate firearms wasteland, to be pitied certainly, they should be silenced! Who knows? With their bleating pronouncements of out of the box accuracy they might sway some uninformed, naive neophyte, not yet endowed with the glories of the Lord God Tikka, to the dark side. Even as they shoot countless bug hole groups and harvest Lord only knows how many deer with one shot heart hits at 300 yards.......they are to be dismissed....shamed......and forever outcast!.......Amen !.......Hallelujah!...........and a.....Boom Shaka Laka!!

Based on what you
    I like @Milf Dots idea!

Ignoring the lefty/righty conundrum, for an already built rifle that you won’t have to fuss with, it’s going to be hard to beat an Accuracy International AT-X or AT for about $5k at Mile High Shooting or Euro Optics.

Add a NF 7-35 or a ZCO and you’re done.
    This is what I did and I'm very happy. I live close enough to EuroOptics that I was able to check out a bunch of rifles and optics in person. If you call them they will likely cut you a good deal on a complete package.

Attachments

• 20230503_184327.jpg
      20230503_184327.jpg
      598 KB · Views: 60
    Based on what you

This is what I did and I'm very happy. I live close enough to EuroOptics that I was able to check out a bunch of rifles and optics in person. If you call them they will likely cut you a good deal on a complete package.

Definitely a great option, going to try and look at one of their rifles.

Another thing to consider is factory ammo vs. handloading. For 6.5CM factory ammo, the Berger 140 grain Hybrids are an outstanding choice. They are well over 2,800 FPS with not only a great bullet, but also very low SD and ES. They come loaded with Lapua brass which is a huge bonus. The factory Sako ammo with Lapua 136 grain Scenar L bullets is also a great round. Everything I've tried so far with the AI has been close to .3 MOA for 5 round groups.

I will say the the Sako TRG is also an amazing rifle, but the Accuracy International allows for 2 minute barrel changes at home which is a huge advantage.

Savage shooters don't post often because they are compassionate and are very aware that posting here will shatter the fragile ego's of most of the high dollar rifle fondlers when the "who can spend the most money on a rifle" circle jerk is interrupted.
    If your just dipping your toes in the water, Why spend $10k on a custom left hand rig that might get used once and awhile ?
    Of course Savage has a precision Ambi ( that means it can be used right or left handed ) rifle that will shoot bug holes for less.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
    Savage shooters don't post often because they are compassionate and are very aware that posting here will shatter the fragile ego's of most of the high dollar rifle fondlers when the "who can spend the most money on a rifle" circle jerk is interrupted.
    If your just dipping your toes in the water, Why spend $10k on a custom left hand rig that might get used once and awhile ?
    Of course Savage has a precision Ambi ( that means it can be used right or left handed ) rifle that will shoot bug holes for less.
    Where`s my popcorn?

• Haha
    Reactions: The D
    The only reason people shit on savages on this forum anymore (its sort of like beating up on a retard, too good to pass up but not actively sought out) is because their owners are the biggest pussies on earth. And then they play the martyr like they arent the ones bringing savage up in the first place begging people to make fun of them for it.

"I brought up savage so its my turn; whos going to make fun of me now?"

Some people just appreciate nice things and also understand that there's more important aspects to a rifle than just shooting a good group. Like feeding, extracting, and ejecting... you know, the basic function of the bolt action working correctly...

A custom precision rifle isn't $10K either, even the most expensive ones. You could buy a Tac Ops and a Tangent Theta for that.

The only reason people shit on savages on this forum anymore (its sort of like beating up on a retard, too good to pass up but not actively sought out) is because their owners are the biggest pussies on earth. And then they play the martyr like they arent the ones bringing savage up in the first place begging people to make fun of them for it.

"I brought up savage so its my turn; whos going to make fun of me now?"
    " Their owners are the biggest pussies on earth." Attaboy!! Now THAT`S what I`m talking about!! Surely THAT will get a rise out of somebody!