• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Recommendations

V4NT4_BLK

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2014
Bulverde, tx
Hey guys, so I’ve read through here quite a bit as well as on YouTube and other sorts and seem to kinda get mixed reviews. So I figured I’d ask for some recommendations. Seems like the guys on here are more knowledgeable. I’m looking to spend somewhere between 2500-3000 on a rifle. Ideally to shoot long range (1000+) for my own enjoyment, as well as maybe some entry level or community level shooting competitions in the future. Again, I’ve read good and bad reviews about some of these and recommendations on others but haven’t really found any solid reviews etc. If you have other suggestions as well throw those in too. So these are currently what I’m looking at as far as options:

MPA BA PMR Pro Rifle II

Christianson Arms MPR

Daniel Defence Delta 5 Pro​

Seekins HAVAK HIT Pro

It seems based off the reviews here the MPA and Seekins are the best bets. I’ve considered going the Curtis custom action route, with an MDT chassis as well. But I feel like I’m going to be off in the woods by the time I’m done as far as price goes.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

MPA will probably get the most love from that list.

I’ll throw out one of the ARC rifles as a recommendation as well

But, you can stretch those dollars a bit further if you can put your own rifle together. Don’t worry, bolt guns are firearm Legos now just like the AR platform

MPA will probably get the most love from that list.

I’ll throw out one of the ARC rifles as a recommendation as well

But, you can stretch those dollars a bit further if you can put your own rifle together. Don’t worry, bolt guns are firearm Legos now just like the AR platform
Yeah I have noticed they seem to definitely get some love on here.

I’ll have to look into that as well, I haven’t heard anything on that one.

Yeah I feel comfortable building my own, I work on all my owns guns and have built quite a few. Just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Then there are a number of what are called "production" rifles of which the MPA and Seekins that fit nicely in that $2500 range. Very nice bang for the buck.

ARC has one
Badrock Southfork
MPA (on your list)
Seekins (on your list)
Alamo Precision you can get semi-custom in that range (number of other builders too)

or even a Barreled Action+Chassis (its 2 screws to attach) Origin/ARC + CHassis of your choice.

ANy of those will get you to 1k and beyond and generally be a rifle to grow into, up with and even dominate if you so chose.

DD has yet to make a real splash and Christianson has not gotten the press that the others have.

Reactions: V4NT4_BLK
Yeah I have noticed they seem to definitely get some love on here.

I’ll have to look into that as well, I haven’t heard anything on that one.

Yeah I feel comfortable building my own, I work on all my owns guns and have built quite a few. Just trying to figure out the best route to go.
There isn’t really a “best” route to go, especially if this rifle is primarily for enjoyment/ casual local competition. You can achieve that from many angles. And if the goal really is just to buy a decent gun that can get to 1000 yds easily enough then any of those guns will be ok. What you should do is ask yourself what you really want. If you really want the MPA rifle, buy it. If you really want, deep down, to build your own then start asking about some more specific combinations

Sorry if this sounds vague and only raises more questions

Actually, I will provide a build that’s been clanging around my head recently. This will also fit into your criteria above so it’s not too off-topic. This is a short action rifle with removable bolt heads that I can start my kids with

Action: ARC Nucleus(many, many other actions will work here but I’ve been drooling over the ARC stuff for a long time

Chassis: Vision chassis for s/a in sage green

Barrel: PVA prefit, Rock Creek or Osprey, in any number of cartridges.

Trigger: triggertech of some flavor, even the cheaper ones are pretty good

I think the seeking gets the nod as the best, out of the box, over the counter, comp ready setup. If you are going suppressed or have a brake, it’s the MPA.

Then there are a number of what are called "production" rifles of which the MPA and Seekins that fit nicely in that $2500 range. Very nice bang for the buck.

ARC has one
Badrock Southfork
MPA (on your list)
Seekins (on your list)
Alamo Precision you can get semi-custom in that range (number of other builders too)

or even a Barreled Action+Chassis (its 2 screws to attach) Origin/ARC + CHassis of your choice.

ANy of those will get you to 1k and beyond and generally be a rifle to grow into, up with and even dominate if you so chose.

DD has yet to make a real splash and Christianson has not gotten the press that the others have.
Yeah the MPA and Seekins seem to have the best track record it seems. The other two seem to be hit or miss and I know my luck haha. I’m not really familiar with ARC or any of their products. Yeah I talked to a local gun shop and their said their customs start at 5k. I’m sure there’s other cheaper places. This is just a shop I frequently buy from.

Part of me wants to build my own, but having a sub MOA guarantee that some of these places have is nice in case there is issues.

Yeah I’ve shot out to 1k with my Armalite SUPERSASS. But never farther. I’d like to be able to get out atleast 1500 or farther someday.

Thanks for all your help

Reactions: Phillium1776
There isn’t really a “best” route to go, especially if this rifle is primarily for enjoyment/ casual local competition. You can achieve that from many angles. And if the goal really is just to buy a decent gun that can get to 1000 yds easily enough then any of those guns will be ok. What you should do is ask yourself what you really want. If you really want the MPA rifle, buy it. If you really want, deep down, to build your own then start asking about some more specific combinations

Sorry if this sounds vague and only raises more questions

Actually, I will provide a build that’s been clanging around my head recently. This will also fit into your criteria above so it’s not too off-topic. This is a short action rifle with removable bolt heads that I can start my kids with

Action: ARC Nucleus(many, many other actions will work here but I’ve been drooling over the ARC stuff for a long time

Chassis: Vision chassis for s/a in sage green

Barrel: PVA prefit, Rock Creek or Osprey, in any number of cartridges.

Trigger: triggertech of some flavor, even the cheaper ones are pretty good
Naw I get what you’re saying, I guess I should’ve specified more. I want something that can fairly comfortably shoot past 1k. I’ve shot my Armalite SUPERSASS out to 1k but I’d like to really stretch something out maybe past 1500 or so. Tbh I go back and forth on building my own or buying a shelf rifle. Only appealing thing to the shelf rifles is like the MPA has a 1/2 MOA guarantee. Which is great. There’s no guarantees when you build it yourself. But, I also enjoy building my own stuff. I’m not familiar with anything made by arc tbh. I was looking at Curtis custom actions but they’re about 1500 so that’s like half what I’m trying to spend lol I guess I just lean multiple ways. Hence why I’ve kinda been having a hard time figuring out which route to go. I have about 30 tabs open on my phone haha

I think the seeking gets the nod as the best, out of the box, over the counter, comp ready setup. If you are going suppressed or have a brake, it’s the MPA.
Any reason why not the Seekins if it’s going to be suppressed? I will be running a SilencerCo Omega 300 on it most of the time more than likely.

Order an arc complete rifle and your set. The actions are awesome whichever you go witth and the xylo chassis is fantastic. Look no further in that price point imo. You get way more for the cost.

Any reason why not the Seekins if it’s going to be suppressed? I will be running a SilencerCo Omega 300 on it most of the time more than likely.
Just that seekins comes with a brake so if you really are looking to go to cabelas and buy a comp ready gun, seekins is titties. Since the MPA has a threaded muzzle but no brake, it requires an extra purchase….unless you‘re all set to go with a can or a brake.

I can’t imagine one is necessarily better than the other. It’s just a matter of what background you have coming into it.

Naw I get what you’re saying, I guess I should’ve specified more. I want something that can fairly comfortably shoot past 1k. I’ve shot my Armalite SUPERSASS out to 1k but I’d like to really stretch something out maybe past 1500 or so. Tbh I go back and forth on building my own or buying a shelf rifle. Only appealing thing to the shelf rifles is like the MPA has a 1/2 MOA guarantee. Which is great. There’s no guarantees when you build it yourself. But, I also enjoy building my own stuff. I’m not familiar with anything made by arc tbh. I was looking at Curtis custom actions but they’re about 1500 so that’s like half what I’m trying to spend lol I guess I just lean multiple ways. Hence why I’ve kinda been having a hard time figuring out which route to go. I have about 30 tabs open on my phone haha
There is something nice about being able to buy a totally sorted rifle with a warranty and guarantee. All of the X moa guarantees are nice but most of the accuracy in a rifle is the barrel. Getting a premium barrel prefit for whatever action you buy and double checking the headspace is about all you need.

There will be some weird idiosyncrasies you’ll have to work through if you piece a gun together. But at least one of the degenerates at this site will most likely have the same combo you dream up. And even if you manage to build a truly one-off, there will be multiple people familiar with the individual piece you have questions about. So, fear not. It’ll get figured out

Now that you’ve narrowed some of this down, including a target distance, we can start really fucking this thread up. What cartridge are you planning to use?

For that money you can get a good custom action, a prefit, a triggertech, and a chassis and even have $$ left over depending which direction you go. I’d do that and get something that has common prefits for down the road that you can swap barrels with.

Reactions: Digetydog
For that money you can get a good custom action, a prefit, a triggertech, and a chassis and even have $$ left over depending which direction you go. I’d do that and get something that has common prefits for down the road that you can swap barrels with.
this

I did this to create a bunting rifle in (270/280AI - 2 barrels now) and am very happy with it.

I took great pleasure in picking out every single part. All in, I was in about $2K (with 1st barrel).

If I had built it as a competition gun, I don't think it would have cost much more except possibly a "competition" trigger.