• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rifle scope flexing

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
We all know a scope flexes when a rifle goes off. I once saw a short video of what a scope does during recoil. But I can not find it with my searches. Does anyone know where that video can be found?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Rifle scope flexing

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Here ya go!

If you look at the base, its felexing more than the scope. I would even say that the base flexing is adding to the scope flex.

I thought that was the pressure wave of awesomeness the emanates from Mac whenever he does something........he was a SEAL you know.

That's interesting for sure. Makes me think a 2 piece mount may be a better setup!

Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought that was the pressure wave of awesomeness the emanates from Mac whenever he does something........he was a SEAL you know. </div></div>

He was a SEAL? Weird, he never mentions that fact...
wink.gif

Wow, wasn't aware they moved that much....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting for sure. Makes me think a 2 piece mount may be a better setup!

Jake </div></div>

The action flexes quite a bit too, it's difficult to see in this video. A 2 piece base allows the rings to pass load through the scope as the action flexes much more readily than a 1 piece base would.

The 1 piece base will carry quite a bit of axial load (which is the necessary stabilizer for a bending tube that has a relief cut from it aka a rifle action).

The value that Surgeon's integral rail is 2 fold.

1) Obvious, it's perfectly aligned to the action so there's minimal runout involved in the rail/action interface.

2) It stiffens the action and carries load, helping to provide an alternate (and more than likely a stiffer) load path for the flexing that the action undergoes during the recoil process.

From my POV, it doesn't look like the scope or base are flexing much at all. The cantilevered rail is flexing, which causes the base and scope to move. But I just can't see much give anywhere else.

I think they choose this rail design to make the video more dramatic. If they had done it with a regular bolt action with the base screwed down to the front and rear rings, there wouldn't be much to see.

There are a ton of factors that contribute to how much flexing a scope will do. A scope reacts like a Sine wave. Just like the harmonics of your barrel. Less flex is normally attributed to how strong the scope is, and how heavy it is. Also this flex is a good reason for side focus scopes. Less weight on the end(no AO) makes a scope flex less.

The reason I wanted the video was that a person was wondering if you could mount a scope too close to a barrel. And I just wanted him to see what a scope does during recoil. tom.

I'd say if one is concerned about their scope being mounted too close to the barrel can do a simple test to see if there is any impact during recoil, rub some chalk or some other substance onto one of the surfaces and if after a few shots fired it shows up on the other surface then you have your answer. On my rig there is about 1/16th" space on mine and I haven't had any issues.