• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rifle Scope - Help Me Choose

Hesperidins

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2018
I'm looking for the following scope:
  • Semi-auto (AR-15), 223 Remington
  • Primarily steel to 1000 yards, limited varmint hunting
  • Primarily daylight, very limited lowlight
  • Required: FFP, mil-mil, illuminated, zero stop, .2 mil hash windage and elevation hash marks (I understand that really reduces the pool of options)
  • Preferred: Christmas tree
  • Preferred: 50mm objective or less
  • $2000 MSRP or less
  • No China
I have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 F1 Mil-xt and like it but, one, that's on a different rifle, two, I don't want to move it, and three, I want to try something different. I am aware of:
  1. Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29×56 APRS6 FFP IR MIL UHD (#210115, https://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-btr-gen2-4-5-29x56-aprs6-ffp-mil/)
    1. Misses the objective size preference
  2. Tract Toric 4.5-30X56 34MM MRAD ELR (#30, https://tractoptics.com/all-product...m-ffp-mrad-elr-extreme-long-range-rifle-scope)
  3. Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP
    1. Only partial illumination
    2. Country of Origin???
    3. Lesser quality glass than the others listed?
  4. Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50mm (#201202, https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-iii/xtr-iii-3.3-18x50mm)
    1. Over budget
    2. Not illuminated
    3. I could deal with the price if it were illuminated and it'd be my pick
  5. Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 M5C3 FFP PR1-MIL (#180726, https://www.leupold.com/mark-5hd-3-6-18x44-m5c3-ffp-pr1-mil)
    1. No Christmas tree
    2. Not illuminated
I guess my point with the above list is that I could go on and on with scopes that miss the mark in one way or another. There seems to be nothing exactly matching. Thus, I'm left with #1 and 2 as the closest given that I'm willing to budge on objective size. Both meet all other required features and preferred features. Is there another brand I'm missing? I'd rather not shop used.

At this point I'm leaning toward #2.

If it matters a new youth shooter will be learning with the rifle/scope setup. The youth has looked through my NX8 and other scopes and prefers the Christmas tree versus anything else I have.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

• Required: FFP, mil-mil, illuminated, zero stop, .2 mil hash windage and elevation hash marks (I understand that really reduces the pool of options)
  • $2000 MSRP or less
  • No China
I have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 F1 Mil-xt and like it but, one, that's on a different rifle, two, I don't want to move it, and three, I want to try something different. I am aware of:
  1. Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29×56 APRS6 FFP IR MIL UHD (#210115, https://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-btr-gen2-4-5-29x56-aprs6-ffp-mil/)
  2. Tract Toric 4.5-30X56 34MM MRAD ELR (#30, https://tractoptics.com/all-product...m-ffp-mrad-elr-extreme-long-range-rifle-scope)
    2. Country of Origin???
  4. Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50mm (#201202, https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-iii/xtr-iii-3.3-18x50mm)
    1. Over budget
    2. Not illuminated
  5. Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 M5C3 FFP PR1-MIL (#180726, https://www.leupold.com/mark-5hd-3-6-18x44-m5c3-ffp-pr1-mil)
    1. No Christmas tree
    2. Not illuminated
I guess my point with the above list is that I could go on and on with scopes that miss the mark in one way or another. There seems to be nothing exactly matching. Thus, I'm left with #1 and 2 as the closest given that I'm willing to budge on objective size. Both meet all other required features and preferred features. Is there another brand I'm missing? I'd rather not shop used.

If it matters a new youth shooter will be learning with the rifle/scope setup. The youth has looked through my NX8 and other scopes and prefers the Christmas tree versus anything else I have.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
I'm selling a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 ? I'll list it in Classifieds now .

I have aTrijicon Tenmile 3-18x44. It seems to check all your boxes except that I'm not sure whether the hash marks are .2 mil. I can look tomorrow (I'm still learning scoped shooting, so go easy on me for not knowing exactly what I have.😅 )

Not offering mine for sale, but rather, something for you to consider. MSRP is $2200. I got mine from Big Daddy Unlimited for $1400, and regular online stores seem to let them go for around $1700 (last I checked).

I just put a Meopta MeoTac 3-12x50 on my 6.5CM and let me tell you, it is impressive! It is at the top of your budget but Meopta glass and quality means you get one heck of a value for your money. A 34mm tube, FFP, Mil Mil turrets, and 100 mils of vertical adjustment. I can't wait to stretch mine out. This scope was designed for Mil/LE use and built tough. In the name of full disclosure, I do some freelance work with Meopta but wouldn't chime in if this product wouldn't work for your needs. It is an order-only item from Meopta and usually takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

My apologies to Iron Worker; I banned the wrong person. Your ban will lift tonight at midnight.

Are you trying to get in under an MSRP price point for a competition? Because the MSRP of the XTR 3 is over $2k, but you can buy them brand new any day for like $1750.

If you are just looking to spend less than $2k to buy something, and can be open to buying used a Vortex AMG would fit very nicely in your criteria.

I either need to adjust requirements vs preferences or adjust my budget. No big deal. Thanks for the responses.

...Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44. ...I'm not sure whether the hash marks are .2 mil.
They are .5 mil hash marks. I looked through various Trijicon models and didn't find a match. Thanks though.

Depends on your time frame. I heard from a very good source that production times are being set for illuminated XTR3's. Not sure the allocation of 30x versus 18x. But confidence was very high that these would be available by years end at the latest.
Yeah, I hoped illumination would be available in the 1st quarter. I may hold out.

Depends on your time frame. I heard from a very good source that production times are being set for illuminated XTR3's. Not sure the allocation of 30x versus 18x. But confidence was very high that these would be available by years end at the latest.
What year 2022 or 2023?

• Haha
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
What year 2022 or 2023?

It hasn't been high on the agenda. When the existing XTR3 is selling great, it makes it difficult to halt production and spool up a new model that may or may not sell as well as the current one.

I get where they are coming from.

But ready or not, I was told it will be on the market no later than the end of 2021.

Reactions: Naaman
Haha, pretty spot on..

Its been a topic pretty much every time I have a conversation with the guys I know at Greeley. The XTR3 Comp version thats out now started slow. An $1800 scope from Burris had to be a pretty good gig in order to gain any traction from the doubters. But it did finally gain a following, and sales have been keeping them churning them out pretty hard for about a year now. So the illuminated model was literally put on hold while they met existing orders.

Hopefully folks will like it and start ordering it in lieu of the comp version and Greeley won't miss a beat on their production needs.

Haha, pretty spot on..

Its been a topic pretty much every time I have a conversation with the guys I know at Greeley. The XTR3 Comp version thats out now started slow. An $1800 scope from Burris had to be a pretty good gig in order to gain any traction from the doubters. But it did finally gain a following, and sales have been keeping them churning them out pretty hard for about a year now. So the illuminated model was literally put on hold while they met existing orders.

Hopefully folks will like it and start ordering it in lieu of the comp version and Greeley won't miss a beat on their production needs.
When you refer to them as comp version and illuminated version, does that imply there are other differences?

Will Burris announce the differences (cost, reticle subtensions etc) before it's available for purchase or will they wait till it rolls off the production line?

Reactions: Birddog6424
I can only speculate, but I can't imagine them rolling out the illuminated version without some sort of fanfare. I suspect we'll get the details as the prepare to send it to market. I have no doubts that they would like to see the production allotments all spoken for as the come off the line.

The differences between the comp version and illuminated version aren't ground shaking. The SCR2 in the comp version is intentionally thin. They figured that no one runs less than 10x or 12x in a competitive environment, and they wanted a very open view without any obscuration by a thick, clunky grid reticle with lots of lines or dots. Having competed for some time with this reticle, switching over from a H59, I happen to agree with them. I run even 200 and 300 yard targets at 12x and enjoy the subtensions and grid being unobtrusive. The larger FOV on this optic allows me to always run 2x to 4x higher magnification than my last scope.

The illuminated version will have a thicker SCR2 reticle. The last word I heard on it is that they believed it would most likely be the same thickness as the SCR. Which they've used for about 8 years now with no one ever saying they thought it was too thin. Added thickness will take illumination better, and be more visible at lower magnifications and low light scenarios. This is going to be the bomb for a tactical/hunting crossover scope.

I'm already in line for the illuminated 18x for my 300 Norma mag elk rifle 😉

I can only speculate, but I can't imagine them rolling out the illuminated version without some sort of fanfare. I suspect we'll get the details as the prepare to send it to market. I have no doubts that they would like to see the production allotments all spoken for as the come off the line.

The differences between the comp version and illuminated version aren't ground shaking. The SCR2 in the comp version is intentionally thin. They figured that no one runs less than 10x or 12x in a competitive environment, and they wanted a very open view without any obscuration by a thick, clunky grid reticle with lots of lines or dots. Having competed for some time with this reticle, switching over from a H59, I happen to agree with them. I run even 200 and 300 yard targets at 12x and enjoy the subtensions and grid being unobtrusive. The larger FOV on this optic allows me to always run 2x to 4x higher magnification than my last scope.

The illuminated version will have a thicker SCR2 reticle. The last word I heard on it is that they believed it would most likely be the same thickness as the SCR. Which they've used for about 8 years now with no one ever saying they thought it was too thin. Added thickness will take illumination better, and be more visible at lower magnifications and low light scenarios. This is going to be the bomb for a tactical/hunting crossover scope.

I'm already in line for the illuminated 18x for my 300 Norma mag elk rifle 😉

Do you know what the line thickness will actually be? The Burris website is a bit of a mess regarding reticle images, the only place its specifically mentions the SCR line thickness for the XTR3 is with the MOA version which indicates the 3.3-18 will be thicker than the 5.5-30.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-044517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210715-044517_Chrome.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 115
Do you know what the line thickness will actually be? The Burris website is a bit of a mess regarding reticle images, the only place its specifically mentions the SCR line thickness for the XTR3 is with the MOA version which indicates the 3.3-18 will be thicker than the 5.5-30.

Line thickness is the same between MOA and Mil reticles.

In the SCR, the line thickness was optimized based on the magnification. The same goes for the SCR2.

The line thickness of the SCR is .13 moa at 20x and 25x, and .18 moa at 15x. They are using XTRII magnification numbers here.

The line thickness of the comp SCR2 is .11 moa at 30x and .14 moa at 18x.

Last edited:
Reactions: beetroot
  • $2000 MSRP or less
  • No China
    2. Country of Origin???
    1. Over budget
    2. Not illuminated
    1. No Christmas tree
    2. Not illuminated

Thoughts?

Thank you.
The Tract and the Athlon are excellent choices, here's another:

Line thickness is the same between MOA and Mil reticles.

In the SCR, the line thickness was optimized based on the magnification. The same goes for the SCR2.

The line thickness of the SCR is .13 moa at 20x and 25x, and .18 moa at 15x. They are using XTRII magnification numbers here.

The line thickness of the comp SCR2 is .11 moa at 30x and .14 moa at 18x.
If the do the SCR2 at .18moa (.05mil) in the 3.3-18 I'll be stoked!

If the do the SCR2 at .18moa (.05mil) in the 3.3-18 I'll be stoked!

I've always liked the SCR. I have three dedicated hunting scopes and they all have it.

For those that want a crossover scope I think making the SCR2 a little more like the SCR in terms of line thickness would be ideal.

I've run at 4x for mulies in heavy timber without issue with that reticle, and its still looks good at 25x. So fingers crossed its something similar.

• $2000 MSRP or less
  • No China
    2. Country of Origin???
    1. Over budget
    2. Not illuminated
    1. No Christmas tree
    2. Not illuminated

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Tract Toric has locking turrets,Athlon Cronus BTR does not.
However Athlong Ares ETR does.