• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Rifle scope sacrificial lenses

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
SC
I have a pair of Henny’s I run and I picked up a polarization filter to try (which is pretty slick). It got me to thinking, does any company make screw in sacrificial lenses for rifle scopes like you see for NODs? Something with a good quality lens to run in place of scope caps to give dust and water protection, that would also be clip on compatible without having to work around the objective lens flip cap getting in the way.

5FA105EC-F007-4A33-812B-4AFBB6F40448.jpeg
83E18505-87C7-4D91-A33B-AEE54C2E1EE8.jpeg
5DF83E10-2209-42F0-9670-FE128D9E7F16.jpeg

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but what you are describing is what photographers refer to as filters. I lot of photogs like to put a UV or Skylight or similar filter on their lenses with the belief that it will protect the big, expensive objective lens. This is actually one of the controversial subjects on photography sites where it comes up again and again.

The pros for that practice is that it's cheaper to replace a $40 filter compared to a kilobuck lens. It gets wet, it get dirty, no big deal, you can clean it easily.

The cons of that practice are multiple.
1- You're putting a cheap glass in front of your super-expensive lens. The counter is to buy the best filter you can, but the issue of artifacts remains.
2- If you break the filter, it will hit your objective lens and damage it
3- You can damage the filter housing a lot easier that the objective bell and break the glass or distort it so it doesn't come off.
4- Filters other than UV/Skylight will slow down your lens.

For example, the polarizer you have on the scope is probably equivalent to a full F-stop. Ok on super bright days, not so good other times.

Also, you must understand that filters are nowhere near as strong or solid and riflescope optics. They are not designed to be on riflescopes and can (and will) break after repeated firings. I have experimented with various color filters to see the effect of mirage perception, but I don't leave them on for long and I did pay good money for decent ones.

For protection from dust and rain and impacts, the best thing on a riflescope is the sunshade. Mine are on all the time.

And FYI, I long ago removed all skylight filters from my camera lenses. However, if I go into an environment where the likelihood of damage to the lenses due to environment factors, such as blowing sand, a welding shop or some such, I will put on a UV/Skylight filter for that eventuality, then take them off when done.

Reactions: lash and 308pirate
I was curious if anyone makes such filters.

I get that it will degrade the image some, but for use in the field I would give up a little image quality to keep from scratching or getting fluid on the lens and yet have the rifle ready to use immediately vs flipping up scope caps.

If they can make ansi approved safety glasses in high quality correction lenses, a product with fairly durable glass should be a possibility. I’m not talking full on impact proof, but something to keep branches or crap from scratching the lens.

Ex. Take a low powered varible optic. I was scouting a thick swamp yesterday for hogs and had an AR with a S&B short dot on it. It was hot and extremely humid, while sprinkling often. While slung muzzle down, rain and sweat would accumulate on the rear lens, as well as crap falling off brush. It would be slick to have something that could be there to keep the lens from turning into a trash/water cup but still be immediately useable if I walk up on a pig. I had actually walked up on a juvie bear laying down yesterday and he hauled tail away. I throwed the rifle up to search and make sure he had left and the lens was a mess. That is what got me to thinking about it.

The sunshade will not work for me due to the amount of rail space I have and needing to be able to mount a CNVD.

I was curious if anyone makes such filters.

I get that it will degrade the image some, but for use in the field I would give up a little image quality to keep from scratching or getting fluid on the lens and yet have the rifle ready to use immediately vs flipping up scope caps.

If they can make ansi approved safety glasses in high quality correction lenses, a product with fairly durable glass should be a possibility. I’m not talking full on impact proof, but something to keep branches or crap from scratching the lens.

Ex. Take a low powered varible optic. I was scouting a thick swamp yesterday for hogs and had an AR with a S&B short dot on it. It was hot and extremely humid, while sprinkling often. While slung muzzle down, rain and sweat would accumulate on the rear lens, as well as crap falling off brush. It would be slick to have something that could be there to keep the lens from turning into a trash/water cup but still be immediately useable if I walk up on a pig. I had actually walked up on a juvie bear laying down yesterday and he hauled tail away. I throwed the rifle up to search and make sure he had left and the lens was a mess. That is what got me to thinking about it.

The sunshade will not work for me due to the amount of rail space I have and needing to be able to mount a CNVD.
Understood I would suggest you look at Howa, Nikon, Tiffen, Sigma, Tokina, and many others. I have lots of the first three I listed Go to Adorama or B&H Photo Video and type in "filter". The fun part will be finding the right size. For my March and NF scopes, I've had good luck using 62mm filters for 56mm objective lenses.

Reactions: lash and Hootiewho
While I find this to be an interesting idea/concept, I can't help but think this is a solution looking for a problem. How many people do you know that have issues with scratched scope lenses?

Reactions: Denys
I use these filters on my Maven binocs my wife and I use, we have three.

We are constantly glassing for various purposes in dust and muddy environments and the UV filters seem to be a cheap insurance. I notice zero increase in CA, image brightness or color.

Reactions: Hootiewho
While I find this to be an interesting idea/concept, I can't help but think this is a solution looking for a problem. How many people do you know that have issues with scratched scope lenses?
It is not so much scratched lenses I really worry about. I would like to be able to keep them from getting crap/water on them when hunting. That does happen constantly. The more junk I end up with sitting against the lens that I have to clean off in the field, the more likely I am to be the one doing the scratching.

How many people do you know who go out and hunt all night with their rifles, in crappy weather sometimes, often with condensate getting on the lens just from being out? I do, and it is an issue.

Reactions: Jsp556
Would a polarizacion filter suffice? I've seen them both slip on and screw on.

Would a polarizacion filter suffice? I've seen them both slip on and screw on.
I’ve got one for the eye piece on my Hennys. I will be looking for just a clear one for my Short Dot.

I experimented with filters for my scopes early, about 10 years or so ago. I had my best luck just matching sizes and threads on B&H Photo. The experiment didn’t last very long for me.

I get what you are trying to accomplish, but in your example, the issue was the the ocular lens. So why wouldn’t a quick flip lens cover work better for that application? In your case, even a filter would have been fogged and muddy, compromising your sight picture. Sure, you gain the advantage of not having that crud directly on the lens, but again a quick flip cover would do the same.

It is not so much scratched lenses I really worry about. I would like to be able to keep them from getting crap/water on them when hunting. That does happen constantly. The more junk I end up with sitting against the lens that I have to clean off in the field, the more likely I am to be the one doing the scratching.

How many people do you know who go out and hunt all night with their rifles, in crappy weather sometimes, often with condensate getting on the lens just from being out? I do, and it is an issue.
I know what you are talking about. I took a pic of my rifle/scope last winter coyote hunting when it would go from blizzard to clear all night. Ice was built up on the inside of the objective end of the scope with a clear ring where I kept cleaning the lens every sit.

My point is the environment is still there and shit will still build up. Your scope is a tool and is built for the situation at hand.

I honestly have never heard of anyone complaining of a scratched scope lens.

I know what you are talking about. I took a pic of my rifle/scope last winter coyote hunting when it would go from blizzard to clear all night. Ice was built up on the inside of the objective end of the scope with a clear ring where I kept cleaning the lens every sit.

My point is the environment is still there and shit will still build up. Your scope is a tool and is built for the situation at hand.

I honestly have never heard of anyone complaining of a scratched scope lens.
Till you want to sell it...I don’t think you’ll see a scratch looking thru the scope but it could affect image if deep enough...multi coatings are what I don’t want messed up.....with a polarizer on a camera you’re going to lose two stops of brightness...if I was going to use a filter I’d be looking at a Helios or a b&w out of Germany.