• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rifle scope tiers?

ICEMAN550

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2018
I was reading scope reviews and came across these rankings of scopes by tiers. Also surprised how low or high some rankings were compared to where I would have thought. I picked up a Trijicon Accupoint a couple months ago and can’t imagine how it is ranked so low. I would think that the Accupoint would be rated higher than the vortex viper. Also surprised that the Bushnell 4200 and leupold vx3 is two tiers ahead of trijicon. The Accupoint is only one tier up from Nikon buck master and vortex crossfire? Also thought the super sniper would be rated higher. I am not an expert on high end scopes, but trying to learn what I can. Any opinions on this ranking list?

2009 Rankings
Leica ER, Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

Kahles C - CL & CSX, Premier Reticle, Schmidt & Bender

Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American Lightweight

Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce NXS, IOR Valdada, Vortex Razor

Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Pentax Lightseeker, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Millet Tactical/Buck Gold, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed

Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Leatherwood, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons

Barska, Sightmark, Swift, Truglo

BSA, Tasco, Yukon

ATN, Leapers, NcStar

There have been changes by leaps and bounds of scope manufacturers from 2009 and 2018. That list is highly suspect in the current market.
There oughta' be more current lists/tiers that aren't a decade old on the interwebs. PrecisionRifleBlog just came out with a survey of popular scopes in the PRS circuit. I'd look there.

Reactions: Patriots1884
I have been looking at the PRS scope comparison too. I recently picked up a Ruger precision rifle in 308 that had a vortex hst 6-24x50 with it. I was thinking of ordering the Burris xtrII 5-25x50, but not sure how much of a step up it is. I would like an illuminated reticle, but PRS is new to me. So far I shot a 300 yard match and although I didn’t do that well, it was a great time and plan on doing more. Seems like most are using 6.5 creedmore. The 300 yard matches may not be PRS, but overall seems to be very competitive and a good way to build skills.

As others said, that list is completely out of date.

SWFA fixed power and Vortex Crossfire in the same tier is crazy talk anyway, even in 2009.

Reactions: Bender
The other thing is - this list is someone's opinion.

That's obvious. I love USO, got a few USO optics, but I don't think it should be above Nightforce. On par, yeah, but no way it's better. There are more like that. And it's missing a lot of brands, especially the newer ones since it's ten years old. Some of those new brands are literally in a tier of their own.

As the years went by we learned to buy scopes based on our favorite features, not so much a specific brand, although those can be preferred as well. Doing this disqualified a fair amount of the scopes on that old list.

All Co's build to a spec, and that spec is based off cost to profit margins, so there are many compromises to be considered. This Co wants better glass, that Co wants better internals, they choose accordingly to stay within budget because in that budget they can't have both.

Nowadays the scope companies that are the most innovative are morphing into almost the same thing but with different twists, they were forced to do so so they could stay current or lose out on sales.

Then there is the sliding scale of diminishing returns as far as quality scopes go. How much does a more expensive scope really offer compared to another that's half the price???

Look at Athlon Optics for a success story and a newer driving force in the industry. Most of the desirable modern features were/are now offered in inexpensive scopes, whereas back 9 years ago those combined features were only offered in some expensive scopes.

Rankings can be very opinion centric and the value a person puts on a scope, regardless of price, has personal merit, especially when it comes to scope features and intent of use.

For instance, for me a $2500 high end SFP hunting scope with duplex reticle holds little interest for my use intent. A $300 Athlon Talos BTR does because I utilize the features it offers.

I've sold some very nice scopes that worked great, all because they fell short in one way or another.

Reactions: jameydan
Thanks for the replies. Steve123, good points. It would be nice to have some way of classifying scopes based on glass clarity and mechanical function. At least those two areas can be directly compared somewhat and important to hunters and tactical shooters.

Reactions: 450AR
I have been looking at the PRS scope comparison too. I recently picked up a Ruger precision rifle in 308 that had a vortex hst 6-24x50 with it. I was thinking of ordering the Burris xtrII 5-25x50, but not sure how much of a step up it is. I would like an illuminated reticle, but PRS is new to me. So far I shot a 300 yard match and although I didn’t do that well, it was a great time and plan on doing more. Seems like most are using 6.5 creedmore. The 300 yard matches may not be PRS, but overall seems to be very competitive and a good way to build skills.

Why do you want an illuminated reticle? I was dead set on needing one when I bought my first "tactical" scope. So far I have used the illumination about 0 times. I have for sure never used it in a PRS match. The Burris are nice, they are coming out with a 3 version around SHOT so my guess is the XTR2 should come down in price. As far as caliber, yes people are using more 6.5 or 6mm cartridges but the 308 is still serviceable, great barrel life, and will really help you learn how to be a better shooter. I would focus on just showing up to some matches and learning and then decide what scope you would like. Look at other peoples stuff and see if you can get behind their scopes. I would for sure not base a scope want list off illumination for PRS competitions.

Why do you want an illuminated reticle? I was dead set on needing one when I bought my first "tactical" scope. So far I have used the illumination about 0 times. I have for sure never used it in a PRS match. The Burris are nice, they are coming out with a 3 version around SHOT so my guess is the XTR2 should come down in price. As far as caliber, yes people are using more 6.5 or 6mm cartridges but the 308 is still serviceable, great barrel life, and will really help you learn how to be a better shooter. I would focus on just showing up to some matches and learning and then decide what scope you would like. Look at other peoples stuff and see if you can get behind their scopes. I would for sure not base a scope want list off illumination for PRS competitions.

Actually it more important for my 1-6 and 1-4 probably. Usually when shooting for groups, I turn the illumination off anyway. I guess I just figured I would rather have the illumination and buy a good scope now that I will use for many years. I do plan on shooting 308 for now and maybe later pick up a 6.5 barrel for it.

Actually it more important for my 1-6 and 1-4 probably. Usually when shooting for groups, I turn the illumination off anyway. I guess I just figured I would rather have the illumination and buy a good scope now that I will use for many years. I do plan on shooting 308 for now and maybe later pick up a 6.5 barrel for it.

Most high end scopes have illumination included, but some, like Nightforce, I believe do not always include illumination. Good luck on getting something that will last you!

Scope illumination is actually quite useful. If you are shooting at a shot up target in a darker area, just a darker target or darker times of day being able to turn up the illumination and have the reticle stand out helps. I use it at matches. If I was spending $1k+ on a scope it better have illumination.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Scope illumination is actually quite useful. If you are shooting at a shot up target in a darker area, just a darker target or darker times of day being able to turn up the illumination and have the reticle stand out helps. I use it at matches. If I was spending $1k+ on a scope it better have illumination.

I didn't say they weren't useful, but of all the things he stated about his scope needs he put illumination. That would not be in my top 5 of features when looking at a scope. Things like ergonomics, reticle, mag range, size/weight, price would all be higher than it, but again most scopes over the $2k mark will most likely have illumination in them. Except Leupold, who had the Mark 8 w/illumination then decided to release a slightly cheaper version without it.

It would definitely be on my list. Different strokes but I want everything I can use in a scope.

Strictly my opinion.....

The undisputed heavyweight champion:
Screenshot_20181224-162542~2.png

A very close runner up!
Screenshot_20181224-162610~2.png

And I thought this would be my #3, but we will have to wait and see???
Screenshot_20181224-162631~2.png

Reactions: Patriots1884
Hensoldts have terrible reticles for what they charge. Would never own another.

Reactions: Tunnuh
My offhand list:

Tier 1: Tangent Theta/Hendsoldt

Tier 2: Schmidt/kahles/minox/NF (atacr/beast) USO

Tier 3: Vortex (gen2/amg) Leupold (mk5/6/8) Sig(tango 6) Athlon (Cronus) USO(arguably)

Tier 4: could put the Cronus and Leupold MK5 or Athlon ares etr

Tier 5: vortex (viper gen 2) Athlon ares series

Tier 6: everything under this isn’t reliable in my opinion

I’m sure I forgot quite a few.

Last edited:
I have searched up and down on forums on here and there is not a lot of bad things to be said about the vortex razor hd gen 2. I am currently looking to purchase one and have heard a couple of things that I would like confirmed by current owners. We all know it is an ugly color and weight used to be an issue before everyone was trying to run 25 pound plus guns. Other than that some have experienced sloppy turret clicks after time and I've heard they are a pain to zero. They track true for the most part and can take a beating. Can someone speak on issues or positive thoughts from experience on this scope.

My offhand list:

Tier 3: Vortex (gen2/amg) Leupold (mk5/6/8) Sig(tango 6) Athlon (Cronus) USO(arguably)

Where would you put the Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 or Burris XTR II 5-25 FFP?

My offhand list:

Hendsoldt is so outrageously expensive it seems like it has to be its own tier so that in the event you spend that much you can feel somewhat proud of it! Tier 2 would be right in my book except the USO. I think they have had a lot of quality issues and after all the hype of their B series coming out they just do not seem to be holding up to expectations. They would be Tier 3 for me. I like all the Tier 3 except maybe the Sig and Athlon, probably more of 3.5-4 for me. The rest of it seems fine, maybe put a Burris on tier 5, along with some bushnell stuff. Burris might jump up with their new offering but time will tell if it is solid or just hype.

There's a BUNCH of scopes that I can think of that will bump Vortex's Viper and the Athlon Ares quite a ways down.

There's a BUNCH of scopes that I can think of that will bump Vortex's Viper and the Athlon Ares quite a ways down.

I have a vortex viper hst 6-24x50 and was thinking of upgrading to a Burris XTR II 5-25. Looking through them , the Burris seemed better to my eyes. My Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 is the clearest glass I have seen and better than the viper or Burris. It’s hard to compare the Trijicon because it’s only 1-6, but I am surprised I don’t hear more about their glass. Also the illumination outside is bright. I have never even seen a tangent theta, but for the price they should be amazing. I almost bought the Nightforce ATACR , but before I spend that much I want to do more research.

No argument here. I’m not a fan of either brand’s lower tier.

Feel free.
Vortex viper in #6
Trijicon Accupoint/Accupower # 3 or 4
Burris XTR 2 #5
Leupold VX3 #5
Vortex strike eagle/diamondback #7

What this be about right? Maybe save this thread and let moderators give their opinion.

I have searched up and down on forums on here and there is not a lot of bad things to be said about the vortex razor hd gen 2. I am currently looking to purchase one and have heard a couple of things that I would like confirmed by current owners. We all know it is an ugly color and weight used to be an issue before everyone was trying to run 25 pound plus guns. Other than that some have experienced sloppy turret clicks after time and I've heard they are a pain to zero. They track true for the most part and can take a beating. Can someone speak on issues or positive thoughts from experience on this scope.

Color is in the eye of the beholder and I don't mind it at all. In the beginning it was nice as I could see my rifle easy enough from others but now there are a lot of Razor IIs at matches and it's a little harder.

I have one of the first to hit the market still and clicks are the same as when I got it. Nice and audible and tactile. No slop. Same with the other Razor II scopes I have used for years in matches.

People that think it's a pain to zero need to realize the positive aspect you are getting from the extra steps. You are getting a perfect zero as you are zeroing without clicks. You don;t have to be a little high or low or a little right or left. You can get a perfect zero. And the more you do it the easier the process becomes. Pretty simple now for me. Watch the video on it on the Vortex site or youtube. It's not hard. Take cap off, loosen allens, adjust center screw until zeroed, tighten allens and then put cap back on. Taking caps off and using the center screw are the only different steps than other scopes and you get a little tool with the scope that makes these easy.

The only real con is the weight which is about 8-9 ounces more than similar scopes but even that isn't bad as you mentioned on match rifles. If weight was an issue then the AMG is there. You are choosing one of the most popular scopes around and a scope doesn't become that if there are any major issues. And if you do have an issue you know Vortex will take care of it. Even if it's accidental damage which is a great thing to have as people drop rifles and do other bad things from time to time. Even if it got caught in a house fir the scope is covered.