• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle selection for training classes

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
Hello,

I'm hoping to head down to Rifles Only later in the year for a PR1 class. Trying to decide what I want to shoot. Currently have an 308, FN SPR in a evolution chassis by SAC. Also toying with building something on an ARC action in 6/6.5 or picking up a TRG in 6.5. What do you guys think? Do I want something new for the class or just run the SPR?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

do you like your rifle? Maybe someone else will chime in that has more experience. I would think you are going to learn more with the 308. A 6 or 6.5cm will create a larger buffer for missing a call.

Unless there is something you don't like about your gun, or it isn't shooting well, I would throw $ at glass, ammo and range time.

Use the 308. Aside from being use to it as was mentioned is better to learn on a less forgiving round that makes you be more precise in my opinion

do you like your rifle? Maybe someone else will chime in that has more experience. I would think you are going to learn more with the 308. A 6 or 6.5cm will create a larger buffer for missing a call.

Unless there is something you don't like about your gun, or it isn't shooting well, I would throw $ at glass, ammo and range time.

Other than it being a boat anchor I don't really have any issue with it. Would do a stock instead of a chassis if I were starting over. I'll be running a vortex AMG either way.

One of the issues with the spr and rebarreling is the extractor cut. It makes prefits almost impossible and eliminates 75% of the Smith's becuase they can't do it. The benefit of the spr is the chrome lined barrel that lasts damn near forever.

I went down the same path a few times and just decided it's not worth it. Went with a Tikka tac 6.5cm and love it. Sold my last spr a few weeks ago and don't miss it at all.

I would just build or buy a new rifle that facilitates easy and cheap barrel changes.

Buy a case of FGMM or some reloading supplies and train with the 308. It’ll build great fundamentals and then eventually when you get your 6mm you’ll be amaze how easier it is.

Reactions: Jeremy45
Rung what ya brung I wouldn't worry about impressing anyone. They've seen it all down there, I'm jealous, just embrace it.

Rung what ya brung I wouldn't worry about impressing anyone. They've seen it all down there, I'm jealous, just embrace it.
I'm super pumped. It was a gift from my wife and brother! I'm not worried about impressing anyone just want to get the most out of it. Thanks for the input.

One of the issues with the spr and rebarreling is the extractor cut. It makes prefits almost impossible and eliminates 75% of the Smith's becuase they can't do it. The benefit of the spr is the chrome lined barrel that lasts damn near forever.

I went down the same path a few times and just decided it's not worth it. Went with a Tikka tac 6.5cm and love it. Sold my last spr a few weeks ago and don't miss it at all.

I would just build or buy a new rifle that facilitates easy and cheap barrel changes.

It's got a bartlein on it now. No prefit option but I honestly don't shoot enough to need them. It would be fun to swap caliber at times but I understand guys like LRI can do a barrel job pretty quick anyway. I've never come close to actually shooting a barrel out though.

Use the 308. Aside from being use to it as was mentioned is better to learn on a less forgiving round that makes you be more precise in my opinion

I'm not used to it is the only thing. Bought it used and haven't shot it much at all. I'm doing some dry fire and will be used to it quickly. I just imagine whatever I go through class will be what I want to stick with. Thought it would be best to make a switch now if I was going to.

Popular opinion seems to be just run it.

There’s a couple lines of thinking:

1: .308 is better for training

2: if you haven’t become pretty good with .308 before the class, you may be distracted and focused on recoil while missing out on other things.

If you work with the .308 and are comfortable with it, take it. If you are more comfortable with 6.5, take that. You want to be able to absorb as much information at the class as possible. You’ll have plenty of time to process it and use it to train after. Take the rifle that will be the least distractive and possibly frustrating.

Your correct about LRI. They have my 2nd m70 now. It should be easy enough to have him spin up a couple of barrels for you while its there.

2: if you haven’t become pretty good with .308 before the class, you may be distracted and focused on recoil while missing out on other things.

If you work with the .308 and are comfortable with it, take it. If you are more comfortable with 6.5, take that. You want to be able to absorb as much information at the class as possible. You’ll have plenty of time to process it and use it to train after. Take the rifle that will be the least distractive and possibly frustrating.
Makes complete sense. Thank you!! I'll do some dry fire and shoot a local f-class match or two to see what's is least distracting and roll with that!

This is right on. I don't currently have a .308, but am getting one later this year so I can shoot it non-braked to keep my positioning fundamentals up. However, @Dthomas3523 is correct. Recoil is only one aspect of fundamentals, and if your rifle is causing you to focus on just that aspect, then you'll get less out of the class with respect to the others. And, imho, managing recoil is the most obvious and easy to correct later.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I say get another rifle, well because you'll have another rifle. :) That being said, shooting a braked 6 or 6.5mm all day won't wear you out at all and you'll be able to concentrate on the other things you're learning. 6.5 ammo is as easy to get and there are more options for long range than .308 these days too if you aren't loading your own.

I say get another rifle, well because you'll have another rifle. :) That being said, shooting a braked 6 or 6.5mm all day won't wear you out at all and you'll be able to concentrate on the other things you're learning. 6.5 ammo is as easy to get and there are more options for long range than .308 these days too if you aren't loading your own.
So you're saying another rifle is never a bad idea huh???

• Haha
Reactions: NewsShooter