• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Selling/Shipping questions?

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
I need a little help from those of you who have sold your rifles on the S-Hide because I never have done this.
Here is what I have.
I want to sell my Grizzly .50BMG with scope and rings and bullet drop charts/case.(60-lbs est)

1. I live in Nevada.

2.As I best understand, I can ship to any FFL dealer as long as that state allows .50 BMGs. Then the purchaser can pick it up from there. Does that sound right?

3.My biggest question is on Shipping methods. Do major carriers ship long guns?
If so who is the best to use, USPS, UPS, FED-EX or Other?
What is the best way to package it, or can I ship it in the Case?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to get in some kind of trouble due to all the gun scared people down at the post office if you know what I mean.
Will you help point me in the right direction?

Re: Rifle Selling/Shipping questions?

I use UPS a lot, because it is cheaper than USPS Priority typically on a package that size. I have heard FedEx is cheaper, but I haven't tried them. I like to put the rifle especially a sizeable one like that into a hard case and then ship the works in a cardboard box. It will be expensive, but insure it for full value, don't take a chance with a rifle like that...

Dave

Intrastate transfers should go through a FFL on the receiving end at a minimum; some individuals prefer to use FFL on both sides, but it's not required (California mileage may vary).

USPS will accept long guns, but not pistols. UPS has a black eye due generally to poor customer service. Fed-Ex is still a private carrier, but seems to have a slightly less bruised reputation. Insurance for the replacement cost should not require mention, but should be required.

If there is a case, I would ship it in the case and put the case in a cardboard box. No markings of any kind to give away the contents. No ammo should be included with the rifle.

Ensure the receiving FFL will accept rifle from a non-FFL prior to shipment.

USPS will ship rifles but not handguns. UPS and FEDEX do handguns and rifles. Yes, you can ship to any FFL that will receive from a private party, but you must have a copy of the FFL in hand when you go to mail it. The carrier has to check the address and ensure the FFL is current. You can package it anyway you like just no ammo with the firearm.

UPS regulations

Postal Service Rules

Get your stuff straight and don't be afraid to call to clarify. I have sent my 1911 via UPS to get smithed, but you have to overnight handguns. I have shipped rifles via priority mail without a hiccup. They will attach the FFL to the outside of the box. PM me with any more questions.

Josh

Thank you DebosDave, They dont freak out on you when you tell them you are shipping a rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Intrastate transfers should go through a FFL on the receiving end at a minimum; some individuals prefer to use FFL on both sides, but it's not required (California mileage may vary).

USPS will accept long guns, but not pistols. UPS has a black eye due generally to poor customer service. Fed-Ex is still a private carrier, but seems to have a slightly less bruised reputation. Insurance for the replacement cost should not require mention, but should be required.

If there is a case, I would ship it in the case and put the case in a cardboard box. No markings of any kind to give away the contents. No ammo should be included with the rifle.

Ensure the receiving FFL will accept rifle from a non-FFL prior to shipment. </div></div>

That was my next question. Do I tell the shipping Co what I am shipping?

you are obligated to declare the content of the package. I use USPS and FedEx. With USPS, they will inspect your rifle before you can ship it to make sure that it's unloaded and broken down, so don't tape your box just yet. They will open it. As stated above, no live ammo along with the rifle. Make sure you insure it and have delivery confirmation. With USPS, the maximum allowable value is only $5K. Make sure you have a copy of the receiving FFL for your record, and one in the box. Some USPS workers will tell you that you can't ship rifle. Just politely inform them that it's okay for rifle and not handguns. You can ship handguns via USPS only if you have an FFL and it goes to another FFL. A 50 BMG is going to cost dearly for the shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are obligated to declare the content of the package. I use USPS and FedEx. With USPS, they will inspect your rifle before you can ship it to make sure that it's unloaded and broken down, so don't tape your box just yet. They will open it. As stated above, no live ammo along with the rifle. Make sure you insure it and have delivery confirmation. With USPS, the maximum allowable value is only $5K. Make sure you have a copy of the receiving FFL for your record, and one in the box. Some USPS workers will tell you that you can't ship rifle. Just politely inform them that it's okay for rifle and not handguns. You can ship handguns via USPS only if you have an FFL and it goes to another FFL. A 50 BMG is going to cost dearly for the shipping. </div></div>

Thank you for making that clear <span style="font-weight: bold">DesertHK</span> I am going to get the case and find a good box for it before I post it for sale.
I think I will talk to them, fed-ex or UPS also.

If you go with UPS, or FedEx, make sure that you call ahead to make sure that it's a major receiving center capable of accepting a firearm for shipment. Not all will accept such package for shipping. Last time I used FedEx, they told me that they can only ship it overnight, their policy (don't know how true that was). Needless to say, it was not cheap and also the last time I ship with them.

I will call first. I will start with USPS and see what they say.They are close to me.
Thanks again.

Also when you bring your rifle to the post-office. Just discreetly announce to the post-office agent that you would like to ship an unloaded, and broken down rifle to an FFL dealer at the destination location. Usually, they will take the box to the back and inspect the rifle. However, some post-office workers have inspect the rifle directly over the counter in plain view of a trail of people waiting in line. Needless to say, it raised a few eyebrows. Be polite but sometimes you have to inform them that what you are doing is completely legal and follow the USPS guidelines.

Under no circumstances allow them to mark, denote, or affix anything that may be understood as a package containing firearm outside the box. That's a violation of guideline and also a quick way to loose your rifle. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also when you bring your rifle to the post-office. Just discreetly announce to the post-office agent that you would like to ship an unloaded, and broken down rifle to an FFL dealer at the destination location. Usually, they will take the box to the back and inspect the rifle. However, some post-office workers have inspect the rifle directly over the counter in plain view of a trail of people waiting in line. Needless to say, it raised a few eyebrows. Be polite but sometimes you have to inform them that what you are doing is completely legal and follow the USPS guidelines.

Under no circumstances allow them to mark, denote, or affix anything that may be understood as a package containing firearm outside the box. That's a violation of guideline and also a quick way to loose your rifle. Good luck </div></div>

You have some good advice for me! I don’t want to draw a bunch of negative attention or have my rifle come up missing. Thanks.

It is always awesome how fast I get answers to my problems from all of the members on this forum.
Just a couple of hours ago I was wondering what the best way to sell this rifle was going to be. If any one else has any input, let me know.
Thanks guys!

I have done this many times. I think procedures vary somewhat depending on the area in which you live. For me here in Houston, I would never take a firearm into a US Post Office. Going to the the Post Ofice here is like stepping into the 3rd world. My suggestion:

1. Take the properly packaged rifle to the FedEx hub (not a franchised outlet). If you do not have an FFL, place a copy of your drivers license in the package. Here, it is much easier and somewhat cheaper to deal with FedEx than UPS.

2. Do not call ahead. If you get someone who is not familiar with shipping firearms, they will almost always tell you they do not ship them. It only wastes your time.

3. Check the FedEx web site for their operating manual and print out the pages applicable to shipping firearms, particularly rifles. Take a copy of the receiving FFL's license with you. It is not necessary to place a copy of the receiving FFL's licence in the package.

4. At the FedEx hub, complete the form for ground shipment. Declare the replacement value (insurance is about $1.00/$100.00). Enter an abreviated description of the contents with the serial no, such, as M82A1-XXXX. Do not write rifle, firearm, etc anywhere on the package.

5. Give the package to the clerk and tell him you are shipping a rifle. If he questions whether FedEx ships rifles, show him the copies you made from the FedEx manual. Any other problems, ask him to call the FedEx number for questions re shipping hazardous material. He may ask for a copy of the receiving FFL's license, but I have never been asked for one.

6. Keep copies of all documentation

Avoid the temptation to not declare the package as containing a firearm. If the package is improperly declared, you will almost assuredly not collect an insurance claim if the rifle is lost or damaged.