• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle sled or tripod

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
I feel like this is a derp question, but I’m curious of feedback.

In playing with my first custom action and barrel during this PRS season, I’m to the point of wanting to do further tuning of my load. It’s to the point where I need something to isolate the shooter so I’m not wasting range trips if the bit behind the bolt (me) is having an off day. That said...

I have recently acquired a nice tripod (77lb with heavy ball head) and seem to be able to get very stable seated behind it. I’m also considering a Caldwell sled of some sort. Is there a benefit of one over the other when isolating the shooter from the rifle for load development/validation?

Looking forward to your thoughts and thanks in advance for a bit of your time.

-ES-

This may sound dickish, but I feel like with my bipod and a rear bag off a bench, the rifle is as isolated as it needs to be. If your fundamentals are good you don’t need additional things to stabilize your rifle.

I have an Iron Eagle Rest and a Sinclair Rest, and I don’t use them with my PRS rifle at all.

I have a RRS tripod and an Anvil, and I don’t use them for load development, again because I feel like the rifle is already completely stable.

Never used a sled, but in my experience, tripods are not as stable as a good set of front and rear bags. My Bulls Bag in the front and wedge rear bag are beyond stable. Sled and bags, bipod, tripod. In order of stability IMHO. And it’s a good gap between bipod and tripod.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
I'm assuming you are looking at these two options because you feel the need to shoot the tiniest groups you can and do your load development off minute dispersion of impacts. I don't know about others...but I'd rather do my load development based off the deviation in my muzzle velocity due to the fact I want better shot to shot consistency up and down at extreme range and don't care about much side to side...due to the style of shooting I do.

Personally, I think one of the best tools you can use is a cheap, knock off go-pro for like $50 and record yourself shooting. What I think is proper body/head/whatever alignment behind my rifle may not be what is actually happening. I know where I'm supposed to be...and sometime I think I am aligned correctly...but the video shows me that I'm not even close.

Have a great day and enjoy shooting as much as possible.

This may sound dickish,

:LOL:

Doesn’t sound dickish as all. This is what I’m struggling with though. Yesterday I shot a match and cleaned a stage with 890y targets, but, two days before, I was trying to shoot prone + bipod and bag and FFS couldn’t stay well focused on the small 600y paper targets I was trying to do some groups testing on.

Damn hobby. I should take up golf.

:LOL:

Doesn’t sound dickish as all. This is what I’m struggling with though. Yesterday I shot a match and cleaned a stage with 890y targets, but, two days before, I was trying to shoot prone + bipod and bag and FFS couldn’t stay well focused on the small 600y paper targets I was trying to do some groups testing on.

Damn hobby. I should take up golf.
To me I sounds like your prone position might be to low, or your system otherwise be causing you strain.

I want to echo that tripod shooting is not in anyway as stable as prone, bench etc. Also “sleds” or Lead Sleds are relatively bad as they do not allow the gun to recoil properly; “benchrests” do and are something else altogether.

Just a bit of food for thought, a gun set up for PRS might have a slightly different sweet spot for the scope than one only shot prone.. So make sure the scope is comfortable in all positions if you want a PRS type setup.

Reactions: Sig Marine
I don't know about others...but I'd rather do my load development based off the deviation in my muzzle velocity

I hear you. My load development for the current load I’m running was done with a chronograph and I’m getting reliable single digit SDs... but I’m just considering a bit of validation and possible adjustment before I reload my lot of 300 pieces of Lapua brass before next weekend’s match.

I hear you. My load development for the current load I’m running was done with a chronograph and I’m getting reliable single digit SDs... but I’m just considering a bit of validation and possible adjustment before I reload my lot of 300 pieces of Lapua brass before next weekend’s match.

Cleaning a stage at 890yds isn't validation enough? :unsure:

Me thinks, you might be over thinking things...

Don’t waste your money on a lead sled I have one from years ago and it doesent work for me even with my 22s the recoil management is so different from shouldering a rifle you can’t zero on it even and I can’t produce consistent groups off it no matter what I’ve tried bipod and a rear bag is way better for me

I’ve thought of using my tripod like a bipod recently for the same reason as you try to take my inconsistency out haven’t had a chance to try it out yet though but I would think it will be more consistent but I try to train/and do load development the same way I intend to use the rifle I know the way I shoulder the rifle can change my zero so I’m sure it will have some effect on precision if I develop the load differently than I shoot the gun or at least that’s how it works in my head