• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle slings for tripod use gimmick or legit?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
As I experiment more with tripods for shooting I see many people advocating tying into the sling most commonly with a sling attached to a caribiner to a riggers belt. So outside of the world of YouTube how many people are running this type of sling?

2nd question do any of these slings such as the SS Loophole with the caribiner loop also have a shooting cuff feature? Seems like everything is one or the other. Would be interested to know if there was an option that had both features.

I've found a sling attached to the front of the rifle, then run to one of the tripod legs and wrapped around it can help stabilize the rifle. My off hand applies pressure to further wrap the sling, tightening it. It is more noticeable on my cheaper tripod than my feisol.

Never tried the caribiner technique myself but I think slings are huge in terms of increasing stability with a tripod. What I like to do is the "candy cane" technique of looping the sling around or under the head and then around a tripod leg. The hand the rotates forward on the sling/tripod leg which helps take the slack out of the whole system.

Picture reference: http://ustacticalsupply.com/images/products/detail/HOGSLING4.JPG

Easy to get into, very effective at stabilizing the shot, and also very easy to get out of

We at Kopfjager Industries developed a tripod specific strap called the K.I.L. Strap. Instead of attaching to the belt buckle, it is designed to loop around strong side foot so you're not breaking your position as you do with bending at the hips for adjusting other tripod slings. As with any product, it is a tool, use it correctly and apply the fundamentals. You won't be disappointed with the results. It also works great as a sling for transporting your tripod. Reaper-rest.com if you have more questions on how it operates. Thanks. -Garret

Attachments

• photo73331.jpg
    photo73331.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 231
It’s another point of contact assisting a less stable position . Like
anything , it requires some practise and experimentation . If you
dont have a sling suitable , try some cord from the fore end to
belt via a biner , and or to the rear of the rifle via a foot .

An an extra point of contact can control and de randomise recoil .

We at Kopfjager Industries developed a tripod specific strap called the K.I.L. Strap. Instead of attaching to the belt buckle, it is designed to loop around strong side foot so you're not breaking your position as you do with bending at the hips for adjusting other tripod slings. As with any product, it is a tool, use it correctly and apply the fundamentals. You won't be disappointed with the results. It also works great as a sling for transporting your tripod. Reaper-rest.com if you have more questions on how it operates. Thanks. -Garret

Garret, just so I know Im tracking right, this attaches to the tripod not the rifle correct?

ive used slings and carabiner techniques over the years. now that im running an RRS i dont find much need or benefit from it.

Let me rephrase that, its not a rifle sling but rather a dedicated strap.

That would almost be preferable as itcwould allow use of a conventional cuff type sling as well.

I see very little effective use of it in competition. While I do see some guys trying it, I was never that impressed with the results downrange. If you've got a good tripod it's not necessary IMO. Perhaps with a less stable tripod it can help out more, but often what happens is too much gear fiddling and shooter transitional movement while on the clock, leading to time pressure and a less relaxed and less stable shooter, regardless of whether the addition of a sling or belt loop increased stability.

Best results always seem to come from the shooters who can attack a stage with simplicity and a relaxed demeanor, focusing mental concentration downrange, economy of movement and keeping a low heartrate. All the grabbing/twisting clipping leaning seems to work contrary to that. Not saying it can't be done, these are just my general observations about what it looks like to watch those two types of shooters and where they tend to place.

I think of it this way... a tripod with no head at all is actually a pretty stable barricade, not much left/right fore/aft movement and almost zero up/down. Way better than some of the barricades we're forced to shoot off of. If you put a bag like the game changer on top of a bare tripod, you should be able to shoot pretty well for most any stage with no slings or other accessories needed.

Garret, just so I know Im tracking right, this attaches to the tripod not the rifle correct?

It is attached on the tripod center column and can be ran to the foot for stabilization or, a more effective way, is to also attach to the rifles sling and run around front leg. As the previous member stated, these techniques might not be conducive to every scenario but proper usage esp in a windy environment will greatly reduce movement and allows for faster followup shots. It can also be attached to your pack or weights and let hang underneath the tripod. It can be used with any tripod setup or rest. -Garret

Attachments

• IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 111
Its definitely not a gimmick. I don’t think you could pass basic Scout Sniper School, Urban, or Advanced without using a sling. The sling helps you load into the tripod and lock your bones into place. (its all about bone support & points of contact)
Do you get more juice out of your sling when using a cheap tripod? Sure. But it also allows a shooter to engage 1000+ yard targets with a sub $300 tripod kit.

Our SS Loophole Sling and other popular two-point slings do not have arm cuffs because they simply are not used during practical application. The cuff only adds weight and cost to the sling.

Free recoil techniques may work with heavy, low recoil bolt guns, but you will be manhandled by a heavy recoil, light rifle or gas-gun while attempting free recoil. There is a time and place for everything. A balance between stability & recoil management.

But not YouTube trickery… haha

A good variety of experiences in this thread . I notice that in many
PRS style matches , competitors are ( rules depending ) using a lot
of bags . Agree with comments above : shooting a magnum off a tripod
is a lot different to a braked 6 mil . If you are in the field , not on the clock
then a sling or cord system will greatly add stability . Just get out and
try techniques until you have a repeatable solution that works for you .