• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Slings

SonoranPrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
If you were to design a sling for use in the field/hunting, what would it look like? What things would it incorporate? What would it leave out? What do you need it to do for you? Tell me about your ideal sling.

If you already have a favorite sling, tell me why you like it. What does it do that you like? What would you change about it?

Last edited:
For me a simple 2 point sling made from 1.25 to 1.5 inch nylon webbing would be ideal. Adjustable with some triglide things. Attached with some good old uncle Mike's sling swivels.
Nothing fancy but you asked.
Oh yeah, some kind of built in dope card holder similar to what TAB Gear makes
That’s exactly the kind of response I’m looking for.

Keep them coming!

I like the "rapid adjust for length" option like what is offered by Magpul and BFG. I also prefer the sling width to be at least 1.5".

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
Standard magpul sling, but make the webbing thickness 1/2 as thick

All metal hardware and para-clips

My only gripe with the Magpul slings is they are too bulky when stowed

I like the Wilderness Cleckner sling for this purpose.

If given the opportunity, would you make any changes to the design?
I'm just not that picky. There are products where I could tell you everything I would want and exactly how I would want it, but slings aren't one of them. Carry slings suck, especially when you are climbing and you have a pack. It's no worse than others when carrying, but it is pretty handy when shooting that you can sling in several ways.

Generally, I prefer
a single point sling . With this setup I can walk hands free from the rifle. Eat a sandwich , drink water, use binoculars, range finder etc.

The majority of the weight is born by the riggers belt on the hips, for the same reason heavy back packs are configured.

Rigger’s belt combined with Blue Force Gear RED (Rapid Emergency Detachment) QD style Malice clip configured with a forward mounting point on weapon; when used in conjunction with a single point harness attachment point located rearward on the weapon, the “system” is a rigid 2 point forward muzzle down weapon carry system allowing for hands-free mobility, as well as no arm fatigue from controlling the muzzle direction for the operator, yet when the forward QD is released the advantages of single point harness are immediately available.

You can choose the distance off the waist the rifle is by various Malice clip lengths.
DSCN2549 copy.JPG
DSCN2550 copy.JPG
DSCN2383 copy.JPG

I made slings for a living for a couple of decades. I retired a couple of years ago

i honestly think the perfect sling for hunting field use already exists. Just look around and see which one fits your needs best

I would like to have a single point that has bungee but that also has a limbsaver type sling pad for about half of it, but not with a taper. Just straight 2" wide with a single point bungee sling. It would be nice to have some type of slick quick release also, similar to the guy above with t he malice clips but a better design built in, then attach with a qd single point.

My favorite is the Blue Force Gear- Vicker’s Padded 2 point Sling. It is 1.25” nylon with a 2” padded section and a quick adjust tab. The only thing I would experiment with on this setup is a grippier, textured material on the inside of the padded section.

Generally, I prefer
a single point sling . With this setup I can walk hands free from the rifle. Eat a sandwich , drink water, use binoculars, range finder etc.

The majority of the weight is born by the riggers belt on the hips, for the same reason heavy back packs are configured.

Rigger’s belt combined with Blue Force Gear RED (Rapid Emergency Detachment) QD style Malice clip configured with a forward mounting point on weapon; when used in conjunction with a single point harness attachment point located rearward on the weapon, the “system” is a rigid 2 point forward muzzle down weapon carry system allowing for hands-free mobility, as well as no arm fatigue from controlling the muzzle direction for the operator, yet when the forward QD is released the advantages of single point harness are immediately available.

You can choose the distance off the waist the rifle is by various Malice clip lengths.
View attachment 7632817View attachment 7632819View attachment 7632820
Have you ever found a single point sling that can balance properly on a bolt gun? If so, I would kill to know where I could find it.

Have you ever found a single point sling that can balance properly on a bolt gun? If so, I would kill to know where I could find it.

Choid,

The OP did say, "What do you need it to do for you?" Perhaps strikeeagle1 did not plan on utilizing it on a bolt gun to engage in long range targets.

However, I think you illuminated a basic problem here. Despite, the OP specifying that it is for hunting conditions, there is still a very broad range of slings for differing hunting styles. OP, is there a type of hunting that you have in mind?

Long range targets? Do you plan on shooting from off hand? Shooting at close to intermediate range fast moving targets? Is the sling for shooting off hand only? Prone? Exclusively for the ease and comfort of carrying long distances? The range of options here will give you a wide list of often incompatible features.

If you are merely fishing for market opportunities for a new sling design, I can convey my own personal frustration on the subject.

I find that not all slings are compatible with the weapon for the type of shooting I want to do at the time. That is to say that the rifles are not designed from the ground up to incorporate balance and stability of the shooter and sling combo.

I realize that I am pissing in the wind here in the precision long range community, but seeing the sling as more than just an attachment as opposed to an integrated part of the weapon system during development is something I would advocate.

I know I am fairly ignorant on all the latest developments in slings, but it strikes me as strange that the M1 Garand Sling is perhaps my favorite for off hand shooting. The design is past the century mark. Surely there is something better that has come along than the latest Jim Owens modification.

Choid,

The OP did say, "What do you need it to do for you?" Perhaps strikeeagle1 did not plan on utilizing it on a bolt gun to engage in long range targets.

However, I think you illuminated a basic problem here. Despite, the OP specifying that it is for hunting conditions, there is still a very broad range of slings for differing hunting styles. OP, is there a type of hunting that you have in mind?

Long range targets? Do you plan on shooting from off hand? Shooting at close to intermediate range fast moving targets? Is the sling for shooting off hand only? Prone? Exclusively for the ease and comfort of carrying long distances? The range of options here will give you a wide list of often incompatible features.

If you are merely fishing for market opportunities for a new sling design, I can convey my own personal frustration on the subject.

I find that not all slings are compatible with the weapon for the type of shooting I want to do at the time. That is to say that the rifles are not designed from the ground up to incorporate balance and stability of the shooter and sling combo.

I realize that I am pissing in the wind here in the precision long range community, but seeing the sling as more than just an attachment as opposed to an integrated part of the weapon system during development is something I would advocate.

I know I am fairly ignorant on all the latest developments in slings, but it strikes me as strange that the M1 Garand Sling is perhaps my favorite for off hand shooting. The design is past the century mark. Surely there is something better that has come along than the latest Jim Owens modification.
I’m not looking for suggestions on something for personal use, rather trying to gauge if there is a hole to be filled in the market. As you said, there is no perfect sling for all applications, just as there is surely room for improvement on what is already available. That’s my purpose.

Last edited:
I’m not looking for suggestions on something for personal use, rather trying to gauge if there is a hole to be filled in the market. As you said, there is no perfect sling for all applications, just as there is surely room for improvement on what is already available. That’s my purpose.

In that case, if you designed and constructed a sling, harness, and mount to support shooting exclusively off hand, I would be interested in purchasing it. Anything that can increase stability to extend the range of off hand before the target size and distance necessitates a tripod or object to brace against.

I have not found one elsewhere and I suspect the hole was created by the much of the competitive world's restriction on using off hand support. ISSF shooters have some good stuff, but their regulations appear to have stymied further advancement in design so it really hasn't move much in the last few decades. See pages, 34 and 46 of the attached.

An example at the following link ->https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=96&kategorie=7
Notice the similarities to the Jim Owens Sling no pulse sling.

As to market, probably just a few niche hobby shooters and hunters.

Attachments

• 1.Rifle_shooting_positions_theoretical_material.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 248
Choid,

I think the Cleckner sling is pretty good for off hand. It gives options, not perfect, but good.

When I think of a field sling, I think of hunting, which means hours of carrying, and seconds of shooting. The problem is that most slings are garbage for carrying a rifle. AR slings are great for carrying a rifle, but nearly useless on a bolt gun, which is why I was so interested.

I do agree with you that for some tasks, it should be seen as an entire system. For my tasks, the system really is pack/sling/rifle. There are pack mounted carry systems, but they suck almost as badly as sling carry, and they give no stability for shooting, since they integrate poorly with slings. Seems like there has to be a better way.

I’d buy a Blue Force Vickers sling with bungie on the back end that would attach to the buttstock or end plate.

I think the Cleckner sling is pretty good for off hand. It gives options, not perfect, but good.

Thanks.
While wandering this site for months, I have avoided many spurious impulse buys, but just like that I now find myself customizing an order for one of these just to try it out.

Seems like there has to be a better way.

Agreed.

Lots of good ideas. I want a pretty basic adjustable cuff sling long enough for front barrel down carry. It would be for hunting.

I carry my rifle on the front muzzle down with tape over the muzzle. I do this to balance pack weight, dragging, etc. Sling attachments are flush cups on the side of the rifle. The buttstock can be set inside or outside depending on today’s preference.

For a slip cuff, I like the Cleckner sling design. To take up length for shooting or carry, I think it is the Vickers that has the big buckle and grab strap/loop, right? I like that except I like a loop. It is easier to catch a finger in a loop and pull. I like that this adjust design doesn’t have a hanging strap.

It should adjust for length and have a bungi section over a pad in the rear section. That needs a buckle to get out of the thing if it gets tangled.

It should be 1.5-2.0“ wide for spread the load out.

Just my 2cents

My perfect is a Rifles Only carbine sling. Everyone should have a tripod in their pack at this point. For that reason, it is silly to make a sling an over complicated device.

A sling is just another tool. It’s used to
Get quick and secure shooting position
Carry the weapon
Help steady a tripod mount

bipods are great but you can’t always get the correct height due to terrain
Tripods are great but slow to deploy
Packs are great to shoot off but still lack lots of height adjustment

sling like the others is just another tool in the box

I have yet to try out a 3 point sling. On my rifles it's been mainly two point. National match style sling for a bolt action and just put a Vicker's tactical on an S&W MP10 I bought this past winter. I haven't really tested that sling out yet. The only 1 point sling I've liked so far has been the tactical Tailor single point that attaches via malice clip. My experience with single pointers comes from a paintball field, so take that as you will. One thing for sure is I got tired of getting hit in the nuts from a swinging barrel. I don't see myself using 1 pointers anymore.

Yes, I know I'm 2 years late to the party. I'm putting a sling on a Ruger 10/22 for an Appleseed event and I'm wondering if anyone can provide info between the following 3 slings:
1) Kleckner cuff sling
2) Armageddon Gear Precision rifle sling
3) Magpul RLS loop sling

Any and all comments are appreciated, especially if you've actually used one or more of the above.
Thanks.

Cuz
Having made slings for 25 plus years and teaching them longer only one of those is up to the task and also an original design
Armageddon is the one to use of those three

I've never used the Kleckner cuff sling but I have the AG and Magpul slings that you mentioned and hands down I'd go with the Armageddon Gear sling over the Magpul RLS. It's not that the Magpul RLS is a bad sling, it's a good budget option for a quality sling that can also be pressed into service as a shooting aid from time to time and it is relatively comfortable when looped up in it. However, the sling is essentially a one trick pony, you set it at one length and you get a big loop to put your arm through or a cinched down loop, it's not adjustable on the fly. The AG sling has a lot of adjustablility that helps when switching positions, carrying the rifle in different modes, or using the sling on multiple types of rifles. I've used my AG PRS slings on .22LR rifles, AR's, and bolt guns.

Reactions: cuz
Cuz
Having made slings for 25 plus years and teaching them longer only one of those is up to the task and also an original design
Armageddon is the one to use of those three
Nice, after more research, that's the one I ended up ordering. It was the only one that let you adjust the actual length of the sling to tighten it up after you put your arm through it. The others didn't allow that feature.

Thanks!

I've never used the Kleckner cuff sling but I have the AG and Magpul slings that you mentioned and hands down I'd go with the Armageddon Gear sling over the Magpul RLS. It's not that the Magpul RLS is a bad sling, it's a good budget option for a quality sling that can also be pressed into service as a shooting aid from time to time and it is relatively comfortable when looped up in it. However, the sling is essentially a one trick pony, you set it at one length and you get a big loop to put your arm through or a cinched down loop, it's not adjustable on the fly. The AG sling has a lot of adjustablility that helps when switching positions, carrying the rifle in different modes, or using the sling on multiple types of rifles. I've used my AG PRS slings on .22LR rifles, AR's, and bolt guns.
Yup, that's what I discovered after more research. I got the Armageddon.
Thanks.