• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Tattoo's ( painting stencils ) PIC HEAVY

curtbroihahn

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2009
South west,Wisconsin
I have been getting alot of requests for more information on my stencils I have made. To see an example look in the gallery under "FN SPR with some stencil work" so I decided to give a more detailed tutorial on the process.
I can cut any kind of logo, insignia, name, saying or design that you can dream up, (except copyright) all that is required is that the design that you want be black and white, and no shading. If the image is already black and white or a basic pen outline then the process is quick, and inexpensive, $25.00. If the file is complex, and requires several hours of computer work to trace the image and make the lines clean then the price will go up, possibly $50.00
The process begins with an e-mailed or linked picture or file from you. I import the picture into a design program and trace it, scale it to your size requirements, and add any custom text or graphic.
IMG_0087.jpg

At this point I put the Self Stick Lamination into the laser and cut just through the plastic face, but NOT the paper backer.
IMG_0090.jpg

This is the stage where I would mail it to you. When you receive the stencil in the mail you will have to decide what parts you want to be painted on the final product. I use a scalpal, or exacto knife to carefully remove the parts of the stencil that I want to be painted. This process is called weeding and can take alot of time and patience depending on the detail.
IMG_0094.jpg

After you are satisfied that all the necessary parts are removed. You will cover the face of the stencil with painters or masking tape. At this point you want to rub the tape down with your finger to ensure a good bond between the tape and the plastic.
IMG_0098.jpg

The next step would be to prep your stock for the stencil. Paint the base color ( the color that will be exposed after the stencil is removed) and allow the paint to FULLY cure. If you apply the stencil premature, the sticker will pull off your base paint. To apply the stencil very carefully peel back the backer paper, go slow and look for any parts that might still be attached to the backer. Look closely at the back of the tape and make sure all the parts and pieces are where they should be and present.
IMG_0099.jpg

Now position the stencil over the stock to line it up, when in position push the tape onto the stock. Now rub the face of the tape repeatedly to ensure a good bond between the stencil and the stock.
IMG_0100.jpg

Very carefully begin to peel back the tape, look closely at the tape while pulling back to catch if any little pieces sneek by. I use the exacto knife again to hold down the little parts of the stencil as I peel back the tape. Make sure its all there.
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Rub your finger over the stencil to make sure there are no bubbles and the edges are stuck down. This is also the time that you would mask around the stencil to prevent over spray. Now its time to paint. Use light misting coats to prevent the paint from pooling and leaking under the stencil.
IMG_0104.jpg

Wait for the paint to dry and then carefully peel off the stencil.
IMG_0111.jpg

I hope that this walk through cleared up some questions about the process. If you would like a custom stencil cut for you, just PM me. The average price is $25.00 shipped anywhere in the US. Just a note, these stencils are one time use. If you would like multiples of the same size and design they are $15.00 for each additional.