• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle torquing to the right

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I have a Remington 700 375 H&H in a Remington LR stock
(Bell and Carson and 40 stock)
My problem is I am shooting off the bench( modified Prone, range will not let me shoot prone only off the bench)
Using a bipod and rear bag
Using a cement block to preload bipod
After the shot, the left leg of the bipod is one to 1”to 1 1/2”off the ground. And It’s maintaining that position. Left leg is hanging in the air.

Any suggestions, Besides holding down the front of the rifle with my support hand.

I mean there is a lot of things here. Mostly though it’s a result of a stupid ass range rule. Sitting at the bench it is very difficult to get the proper position required for recoil control and follow through, especially if it’s the kind of bench with the side cutouts where you can’t get square behind the rifle.

That’s my 2 cents worth, others will surely chime in. @Lowlight or @Enough Said

Any pictures of what it looks like in the air?

No pictures, But if I let go of my support hand, biPod left leg is hanging in the air

1# Try getting straight as possible behind the gun.
This means that your shoulders and elbows are 90 degrees to the rifle.
Like a square.

2# Don't shoot a 375 H&H :ROFLMAO:
3A0A35B5-F16F-496D-996D-A5955276CC53.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said
Already did the squared up thing
Maybe I wasn’t truly square, I guess that would mean Move my core to the left.
Or just shoot some place else and shoot prone

It could be your shoulder connection, as in the place you are putting it in your shoulder isn't the best part and under recoil it's twisting to fit your shoulder.

I had it moved inboard towards the collarbone, I will have to go back out and try it again and verify.
Thanks for the advice

Have been in that situation. Rifle is going to "bounce" no matter what off the bench. Magnums make it worse.

As mentioned the side cutouts are horrible. If you can, try and get directly behind the rifle, rather than to one side.

Another thing to try is instead of sitting, try leaning/standing into the rifle. I think your goal should be to keep the rifle centered post recoil. The hanging leg means that the rifle is not going straight back. Yes you will have bounce or an up/down recoil impulse but it should settle back close to aim point.

If the rifle is rotating, somehow energy is being left in the rifle. Maybe try and relax the shoulder so your body takes more energy. Still pull it in tight, relax that shoulder so it's like a shock absorber. Keep a firm pinch on that bag and trigger hand.

I am standing behind the rifle, Bent at the waist, with a cement block to preload bipod on the cement bench.

So I’m thinking it probably has a lot to do with large caliber, lightweight, and not the best stock design. Just trying to get a handle on what I can do to improve. I got a 338 WinMag I don’t have this problem with, thought maybe somebody had dealt with this problem before

I suspect it is recoil management. Not sure how that cinder block is playing as well. Maybe loading the bipod too much? With a big rifle, energy has to go "somehwere" and it needs to get absorbed by your body. I'm happy to be corrected.

However, you are right--light rifle, bad position (not your fault) magnifies any imperfections. I always try to play with my positions to find if certain things work better. May waste some ammo, but its better than fishing, or worse--sitting home doing nothing =)

Thank you for the suggestions, I’m gonna play with this and see what I can do
I agree it’s recoil management,

I go back to my days of prone sling shooting and NPOA. If you don't line up correctly behind the gun and induce unnecessary tension into the gun to get on target, your recoil impulse is not going to track well.
Translating that to a bench can make that a bit trickier. Mix in a heavy recoiling rifle, bipod, loading it heavy enough you need a cinder block, and it becomes trickier. I would work on the bench positioning and make sure you're not overloading the bipod and have the recoil react to excessive forward pressure .... a lot going on to control

Using a Harris bipod
Not the best for pre loading
Thinking I will put a pic rail on and try my tbac
I will report back

Bipod is 50% of your problem. Fundamentals is the other 50%.
As for that cinder block, try C-clamps and a 2x2 instead.
Big magnum hunting rifles are not really meant to shoot from a bench. They are one-shot, Bang-Flop rifles. Hunt over.

If you cannot lock out the torque with a proper bipod, you will always have this problem. Extreme: Once you get that rail on, lock it in an Elite Iron Revolution and you'll never see torque again. :-]

--- Taylor

Reactions: Baron23