• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Tripod Clamp

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Has anyone built a rifle clamp for a tripod?

I know i could buy one but wanted to see if anyone had done it. Thinking of some type of a bolt and plastic wing knob to tighten the rifle down when on the tripod.

Was thinking of a fun father/son project for the weekend.

If anyone has done one...post up some pics.

Here is a cheap one i did that the rifle rest on. No ability to clamp it down. Cheap metal folded and pad wrapped with duc-tape.
AA824FF9-F7E7-4E81-819E-938A81D2BA7F.jpeg
CD5C4F36-F0D5-451C-A3DD-F52D04995712.jpeg

Reactions: ReaperMedic
Yep, thats all mine is until I can get a Hog Saddle or PIG Saddle. I bought a 2x4 conector ( |__| shaped metal) and screwed it down to the tripod and wrapped it is Gorilla tape and foam to match the width of my rifle forend. Youtube “DIY shooting tripod” and you should find the same video I copied mine from. It actually works ok, though you will need to use a sling and good body position to get the most out of it.

Not inventive enough to figure out a clamp though. The video does have a makeshift idea though using velcro.

I got the M-Lok Magpul RC2 connector for like $30 and stuck it on my cheap RC2 ballhead can get at any camera store, Granted I do have that cheap ass combo on a carbon fiber manfrotto...

I picked up a Caldwell Turret Precision Shooting Rest from Midwayusa. It was on a crazy sale and the mount that holds the rifle can easily be modded for a tripod setup.

I have tried PVC schedule 40, cut length wise and threaded 1/4" -20 and used it until I came up with a better option. Now I use about 4" aluminum U channel, glue dense foam to it via Gorilla Glue, wrap it in heavy duty canvas, paint it with rattle can of your choice, and finally use Shoe Goo to add some rubberized texture to the inside of the channel. I have used this mount with various tripods out to a mile with great success. The downside is that the rifle is not "tied" to the tripod. A new option I am trying is the Magpul M Lok RC2 connector that works with my Manfrotto RC2 grip ball head. For predator hunting when shots may be out to 500 or as close as 30 yards behind you, I will be investing in more Magpul M Lock RC2 connectors.

Attachments

• DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    738.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    671.3 KB · Views: 189
In general, I prefer to directly lock the rifle to a tripod by other than a U-type support.

To address the issue of securing the rifle in a HOG7, I modified mine to HOG8. Some variation of the mounting straps illustrated maybe useful in your efforts to "clamp it down". I just used some Blue Force mounting gear.

Using the QD system is quick and secure. I set the tension of the paracord, then push down the swivel so it locks in place like a canning jar top mechanism. I also use a liner of non-skid material for some rifles. A strap system is shown as well. Cammo Gorilla tape bling just because.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.42.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.41.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.42.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.42.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.42.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.43.04 PM.png
IMG_2270 copy.JPG
IMG_3556 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.43.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Looks good.

I also ended up ordering a Triclawps SOLO. Figured i would gove it a go as well.

Im still doing a father/son project but needed a good setup that for sure worked.

Sd03msg,
Can you link up some closer pics of your holder without the rifle in it. Looks like it is very stable.

I have found that you want the channel to match the for end of your rifle. You don't want it loose or it becomes unstable. I fix this by adding enough foam. I have also found that if the channel is too short, it is also unstable. 4-5 inches seems to work for me. I use Manfrotto and SLIK heads so I have several mounts that work with various heads. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00164.JPG
    DSC00164.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 73
I used the saddle style from precision rifle solutions for a while and used it with some good results. I've now switched over to direct mounting with arca style adapters for extra stability and being able to lock the rifle to the tripod when sitting and take advantage of the ball head to pan and tilt. I have a tripod head that accepts arca swiss / 1.5" dovetail plates and now use the Area419 rail on my bolt gun (i have the original, not the new one with the teeth) and use the hogsaddle MARC mlok plates on my gas guns. The MARC plates are top notch and work great.

I built the same type of rest for mine as the OP, but used an old Army sleeping mat for padding. After wrapping that in tape a and a little squeezing on the bracket, my Bergara can rest in the tripod without me holding it. Not as secure as a HOG for sure, but its what I have for now.

My Triclawps SOLO came in today. Will post up a pick in a few. Very very well made. I have some attachments coming to off set mount my spotting scope while my rifle is in the saddle

I like the magpul. Use it on a manfrotto head and tripod, though.
I have used the Magpul RC2 and manfrotto for almost a year now from range to hunting it has worked perfect, rock solid and its dirt cheap, I'm not sure what any of these other solutions would do better.