• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle weight

Dta1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
Southern Idaho
Question about PR weight.

I’ve got a few rifles set up in various configurations, a couple in fiberglass stocks and one in a chassis.

M24 an MTU barrel contours.

most recent purchase is an MPA PMR Pro.

all of these rifles are pretty damn heavy— after carrying them around for a while, last thing I want to do is add weights to them. But, I do read about folks adding weight to their already heavy rifles.

for those that are shooting PRS and NRL, how much do your guns weigh, and what kind of feedback are you getting from your rifle that tells you where and how much weight to add?

appreciate any info you’d be willing to share.

25 lb competition rifle. Rifle balance point is ~3 inches in front of the magwell, and can sit on top of a bag with no input. I added as much weight as I could without becoming overly burdensome. The result is that my reticle never leaves the target during recoil, which improves my ability to make corrections for follow-up shots (regardless if I hit or missed the target). Your ability to correct even .1mil for each subsequent shot makes a huge difference.

If you think that's too heavy, improve your fitness, or prepare to make compromises.

I'm running about 20-21lbs on my 6 dasher and it balances about 1-2 inches in front of the magwell. Add a grayops plate/bipod and a bag and it's pushing 23.

It's personal preference on how you want it to balance and how much you want it to weigh. I don't like a gun that's super front end heavy because I find it's more awkward to move around. If you've got weight kits, take them to the range and run a barricade stage with different configurations to see what you like best.

Reactions: Dta1
I choose straight contour barrels because the barrel is the best place to have weight, and its free. my 6BR is 22lbs with a 26" straight and internal weights on my MPA Matrix. you want your rifle to balance where the center of a gamechanger sits on your fore end, which is about 3" in front of the mag well. Of course personal preference does come into play, but this is what i have found works for me.

I am running a 19# PPR and I think I give up very little in way of spotting my impacts on barricades. I would rather drop a shot or two a match than carry a boat anchor all day. Its all personal preference, but balance > weight

My match guns have always been in the 19# range. I thought I was happy with that till I shot a team match and had to shoot my partner's rifle. Not sure how much it weighs, but it was a lot heavier. Actually, I whiffed on it when I went to grab it the first time on the clock. The weight surprised me.

Subsequent to that, I swapped to a heavier chassis and one of them is now in the 24# range. The difference in movement under recoil isn't really noticeable until you're on a super squirrely position. There's no question it helps. I don't notice the weight when I'm hucking it around on the clock. Doesn't seem to slow down transitions perceptibly. I'm happy to carry the extra weight for the short distances required for most matches.

If I were shooting a run and gun match like the Competition Dynamics Team challenge, I'd definitely opt for on the the lighter guns, though.

25 lb competition rifle. Rifle balance point is ~3 inches in front of the magwell, and can sit on top of a bag with no input. I added as much weight as I could without becoming overly burdensome. The result is that my reticle never leaves the target during recoil, which improves my ability to make corrections for follow-up shots (regardless if I hit or missed the target). Your ability to correct even .1mil for each subsequent shot makes a huge difference.

If you think that's too heavy, improve your fitness, or prepare to make compromises.
My rifle is just like this. 28" MTU barrel with tuner and Little B* brake. 25 lbs, balance point 3-4" in front of the magwell, centered on an AG Pint Sized GC. An 8 oz trigger (LOTS of dry fire to master that one) helps keep me from slapping the trigger and disrupting the rifle. Setting the weights is pretty simple: Guess, put them on, set the rifle on top of your bag and see if it balances or falls forward or back. Adjust weights as necessary until you get it where it's comfortable for you. Shouldn't take longer than an hour to find your rifle's happy place. Maybe.

I adjusted my weight on my Manners TCS stock to balance 4” in front of the mag well which is perfectly centered on my Wiebad WMFC bag. Overall weight is 24lb with 28” straight contour. I like the adjustability of the TCS as weight can be moved foreword or rearward to get the fulcrum point perfect.