• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Rifled choke tube

918v

Range Physic
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Miserable CA
Happy New Year!

My new year question is this: Has anyone fired Federal buck with flite control through a rifled choke tube? I saw a YouTube vid where dude shot cheap buck through a rifled choke and it didn’t blow up the pattern like a fully rifled barrel would. I’m interested in flite control tho.

Federal flight control has a stupid tight pattern. Are you hoping to gain something with the rifled choke? Or, hoping not to destroy the group? I guess the question is, “why rifled choke?”

I hope to gain convenience by not having to switch out chokes between buckshot and slugs.

I hope to gain convenience by not having to switch out chokes between buckshot and slugs.
I get that. HD shotgun? Stoking it with a few of each? I’d set the gun up for my “primary load” and accept the penalty for everything else. That said, patterning boards are a thing for a reason. No one can really say what a shotshell will do in your gun. Go shoot a few. You are going to want to confirm that the buck and slug both shoot to the same point of impact anyway.

But, I’ve shot enough clays to accept changing choke tubes as the cost of doing business.

.....you could just shoot rifled slugs.....and ditch the choke....

Yeah that’s the default setup but I was hoping to improve slug accuracy by adding a rifled choke.

I guess I’ll just have to try it out.

I get that. HD shotgun? Stoking it with a few of each? I’d set the gun up for my “primary load” and accept the penalty for everything else. That said, patterning boards are a thing for a reason. No one can really say what a shotshell will do in your gun. Go shoot a few. You are going to want to confirm that the buck and slug both shoot to the same point of impact anyway.

But, I’ve shot enough clays to accept changing choke tubes as the cost of doing business.

Yes, HD/wild boar gun