• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifling

Jeremy2146

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Clatskanie, Oregon 97016
I'm New to the sight, and have finally gotten everything to start some longrange shooting, as it has always interested me. I have my trusty Rem. 700 VSF in .308 with a 26" barrel. It has a 1 in 12" twist and I was wondering what barrel combination (rate of twist, and length) proves out to be the most accurate, if any? I've been pondering a better barrel anyways.

Re: Rifling

Get ready for the welcoming party!
grin.gif

Are you new to long range shooting? If so, I would suggest that you save all the money that you were going to spend on a "new and most accurate" barrel and use that for ammo, or reloading (good luck finding components) so that you can practice getting behind the trigger and feel comfortable with it. Once you have shot out the barrel, then I would focus on choosing the "right" barrel for your Remmy action. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The heaviest it would shoot would be the 180's. A 11 twist in a 3 groove or 5R would be a good barrel for what your doing. </div></div>
3,4,5,6, poly, all the same results; if done properly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The heaviest it would shoot would be the 180's. A 11 twist in a 3 groove or 5R would be a good barrel for what your doing. </div></div>
3,4,5,6, poly, all the same results! </div></div>

What?

There are trends, but they are exactly that! None have been proven to be better then the other as far as rifling types.

Ok sure you could throw a standard 6 groove into the mix also. Either way if the guy is just getting started spending money on ammo and working on shooting form might be the best option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you new to long range shooting? If so, I would suggest that you save all the money that you were going to spend on a "new and most accurate" barrel and use that for ammo, or reloading (good luck finding components) so that you can practice getting behind the trigger and feel comfortable with it. Once you have shot out the barrel, then I would focus on choosing the "right" barrel for your Remmy action. JMHO. </div></div>

I have a lot of money tied up in reloading equipement and am pretty confident in the rounds I'm producing. Same goes for my shooting style, the Marine Corps has taught me well. I was just curious if I was to go for a new barrel, which one? (Brand, Rate of Twist, Length, ect.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please complete your profile....it could be that you are living near someone that could mentor you..... </div></div>

Ok, I'm doing it now, thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremy2146</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just curious if I was to go for a new barrel, which one? (Brand, Rate of Twist, Length, ect.) </div></div>
There are many great barrel brands out there...I will usually buy the one available at the time...Rock ,Kreiger , Bartlein , ect. Other than brand, this is what I like for my .308's
Contour: MTU or M40/M24
Twist:1-11.25
Lenght:21"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremy2146</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just curious if I was to go for a new barrel, which one? (Brand, Rate of Twist, Length, ect.) </div></div>

Find a qualified 'smith to do the work. Ask him what he likes. Chances are he will have more experience with different barrels than most individuals on this website. Once you find out what he likes and why, you will have more information to come back and ask questions.

I have been researching barrels for my rifle. The resounding responses are that when talking about match grade barrels the smith doing the work has more of an effect on accuracy than the barrel maker. No matter what you choose it still needs to be cut, chambered, crowned and installed. Most 'smiths will want to true the action as well.

What you are going to shoot through it is going to help decide the twist. What you are going to DO with it will help decide the length and contour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremy2146</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just curious if I was to go for a new barrel, which one? (Brand, Rate of Twist, Length, ect.) </div></div>
There are many great barrel brands out there...I will usually buy the one available at the time...Rock ,Kreiger , Bartlein , ect. Other than brand, this is what I like for my .308's
Contour: MTU or M40/M24
Twist:11.25
Lenght:21"

( </div></div> Okay, thanks guys. I will probably be sending out a few emails to some different gunsmiths now. Any favorites out there? I've always heard good things about GA Precision