• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Right Handed Shooter Left Bolt

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Ok, I have this idea.

Just think about it for a second.....Think of the advantages a left handed shooter would have using a right handed rifle. His off hand can load and run the bolt without changing his shooting position. Not to mention that checking their windage adjustment is just a matter of opening their right eye. A right hand shooter shooting a right hand rifle has to break cheek weld to check their windage not to mention break position to cycle the bolt and reload.

Maybe Im nuts but the next rifle Im going to build will be a lefty....Ive got to try this out...And too bad that there isnt a less expensive option for a scope that will put the windage on the left side other than USO.....sure wish I could still afford one of those but unfortunately those days are gone.

Reactions: Balor
Re: Right Handed Shooter Left Bolt

You'd think so but no.

I find it about a million times easer shooting lefty with left bolt that lefty with right bolt.

A, it's unnatural.
B, you need to remove the hand supporting the buttstock/rearbag.
C, you loose your hand as you need to move it to allow the bolt to cycle without destroying your thumb.
D, you end up moving your head anyhow, so you loose cheek weld more.

If you shoot F Class where your rifle is basically in a vice then yes, it can be a bit better, but the advantages arent really there.

try it if you like, but coming from a lefty who shot right-bolt for ages, its not as sick-cool as it sounds.

• Sad

I second everything Remoah said. I'm also a lefty and I've been shooting nothing but right bolt rifles for years. His four points are spot on and when I practice shooting right handed it feels more natural than when I shoot right bolts left handed.

• Sad

I've seen its advantages depend on the shooter. At one school the instructors would harp on a south paw friend of mine and say "there's right handed shooters and there's WRONG handed shooters."

They shut up when he smoked the entire class on dot drills by firing left hand on the trigger, right hand staying on the bolt and could cycle with just a slight turn of his head to clear the bolt handle. 4 hits on 1.5" dots, 100yds, and the time was sub 6 seconds IIRC, placing him a full second faster than anyone else in the class.

Long story short, if you train to shoot with an opposite handed action you can be extremely fast, but precision wise slow(er) fire, it doesn't have any other advantage that I've seen.

The thumb issue is a non existent issue for me as I do not place my thumb in the typical position, it sits about where the safety is at.

My train of thought is following Redmanss.........

Reactions: Alan Warner

I'm a lefty, until recently I didn't own a lefty rifle. Shooting from anything other than positional that requires me to support the rifle with my right hand it's very quick. I've been doing it for 20 years as a lefty shooter using righty rifles. With strong hands you can run the bolt with your support hand and then grip back up after the bolt is closed, but this is not as fast.

I'm a lefty. First half of my life I shot right handed rifles lefty. Now I shoot right handed... Almost exclusively. The main reason is because I'm right eye dominant. When I shot lefty I used my left eye with no problems. The only advantage I noticed to shooting right handed rifles left handed was the position the buttstock sits in your shoulder. I always had to lose my cheek-weld to cycle the bolt so that wasn't a plus, I'm more comfortable re-setting my grip and trigger finger position after each shot anyway so that wasn't a plus and for me, working the bolt with my right hand while I was in the shooting position was just uncomfortable. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but didn't see a reason.

What you're thinking makes sense logistically but will take some getting used to.

Im sure it will take some getting used to for sure. And since my life doesnt depend on my bolt gun tactics any longer Im more than willing to throw a monkey wrench into things to see how it works out.

Also if Im using a rear sand bag I dont have too many reservations in letting go of it to cycle the bolt....I tend to try to get my rear bag to support everything without having to squeeze it anyhow.

Personal prefernece from my point is, that its sucky, and you'll want a right-sided (as in, corretly positioned for you) bolt.
I'd suggest heading to the range and seeing if anyone there has a lefty bolt rifle you can try this out with.

try different positions, rested, unrested, with and without a rear bag. even a .22 lefty will do, just make sure you dont sink thousands on a rifle and it turns out not how you expected.

But agreed with Red, you can get some incredibly fast groupings this way, however in many other situations you're at a disadvantage, look at the reason WHY right hand bolt actions have the bolt on the master-hand side. because its the configuration that works the best for the majority of situations.

As i said, im not knocking your idea, im just saying that having done it for years, its not as crash hot as it sounds.

I am right handed but left eye dominant with right handeded rifles. I have always shot with my left hand using my left eye. I thought it was kinda an advantage being able to work the bolt with my right hand. But recently my instructor has been teaching me to shoot right handed and practice using my right eye which has been very hard for me. After eading this I am now wondering if I shouldn't switch back.

Take it from a lefty that has been forced to conform to the right handed world of bolt action shooting, having the bolt on the proper side is a great advantage. I disagree that you have to break cheek weld to cycle the bolt with your good hand,I actually feel that I have to move more when cycling with my bad hand because when I'm in the prone, I support most of my upper body weight with my right hand (arm) while leaving my left arm free to smoothly squeeze the trigger. When I have the bolt on the correct (left) side, my body position (and cheek weld) isn't disturbed by bolt cycling. As for the right eye checking windage, this isn't necessary. I just note where the round impacted, and using the mildot reticle, I can count how many clicks are needed. But that's just me. I say try it for yourself, and if it works for you then great!

I'm a lefty and prefer Right handed rifles off a bench or bags. I can see everything going on, easier to catch brass as it comes out before it hits the ground. If I am having feeding problems or on a single shot your head is on the port side and your not twisting the rifle or stretching your neck to see whats going on. I've sold all my left bolt guns except one custom built 22 3p gun. I wish it was a right bolt/port with the left stock.

And if a case blows, your face is right there to make sure none of the blast goes to waste. Hell, Mauser didn't know what he was doing.

Reactions: Nik H

I shoot RH rifles left handed. Your instructor was right as you should be able to know how to shoot right handed, but very mistaken if his point what to shoot a RH rifle right handed. There is one advantage to shooting a LH rifle left handed and that is for positional shooting. If you're not shooting positional, then shooting a RH rifle is BY FAR the better way.

Well it looks like there are extreme opinions either way.....I have a Lefty coming as we speak and will give it a shot to see what happens....Ive got to buy some parts for it eventually (it might be a bit since other bills are going to take priority for a while) But I will make sure to start up a new thread with my findings and put a link from it here.

good luck with it mate.

as you pointed out, it's about 50/50, personally, i prefer my bolt on the left for shooting lefty, but i can understand how some peoples shooting style may dictate that having the bolt on the 'incorrect' side may be an advantage.

there are companies out there that make lefty-bolt, righty-stock combos, or ambidexterous stocks.

good luck, i look forward to seeing the progress.

As a left-handed, left-eye shooter, I've simply grown used to shoot right-handed actions. The few times I've handled or played with LH rifles, it didn't "feel" right to me (no pun intended). My mind equates my left hand with trigger control, and right hand with doing all of the work. Shooting support side at RO I did quite well, but it wasn't particularly comfortable. Bolt handles on standard RH actions aren't perfectly shaped for left-handed use, but after a while you learn to adapt.

At the end of the day, as Mike says, I'd want a LH rifle if I were planning to be doing lots of positional shooting and needed fast follow-up shots. In any other situation I'd prefer to stick with a RH rifle.

I've visited this topic as I've seen a RH competitor running LH bolt in prone position and it looked efficient. I wonder if any more people have tried. I certainly want to try in all positions (shooting positions I mean).

to echo what was said 10 years ago, I am a lefty with right bolt and find it extremely efficient. So id assume its the same way for the opposite. But it has to come natural to you or its the way you've done it since day 1. Otherwise it'll probably be uncomfortable and wont work out to well.

I'm new to PRS and ambidextrous with right eye dominant. I just want to start with the most efficient and effective way to shoot. Do you find that you need to move your face away or lose visual on the scope because of the bolt cycling? Does it work well in other shooting positions other than prone?

Right handed bolts work better for right handed people. Left handed bolts work better for left handed people. I am a lefty and shot right handed rifles for years. I promise you that it is a big mistake to do opposite bolt configuration. You can run a bolt gun faster, and get back on target quicker with left bolt left hand. Your right hand can do what it is supposed to with the rear bag or rifle support.

Just my $.02 since most are talking about some form of shooting that requires fast multive shots, I'm left handed and old, and I only shoot off bench's, my bench;s are either "T" or "U" shaped. With LH bolt guns I'm having to reach over the scope to retrieve the case & load another round. Shooting a RH bolt gun I have easy access to the loading port.
You've herd the saying " Happy wife , happy life" well "a happy shooter is a happy shooter"

Just my $.02 since most are talking about some form of shooting that requires fast multive shots, I'm left handed and old, and I only shoot off bench's, my bench;s are either "T" or "U" shaped. With LH bolt guns I'm having to reach over the scope to retrieve the case & load another round. Shooting a RH bolt gun I have easy access to the loading port.
You've herd the saying " Happy wife , happy life" well "a happy shooter is a happy shooter"
Look up some left bolt-right port actions for your bench shooting
1589567755404.png

1589567999960.png

I’m a lefty, left eye dominant. Been shooting right bolted rifles for years. I find it simple to run a bolt this way on the bench or prone. Where it becomes and issue for me is freehanded off-hand. I’ve always thought the what if’s? Right side of face / head exposed to breech, action of a weapon.
I sold my MRAD this week here on SH.. Thanks👍🏼
Will build my own on a Lefty Cadex Lite Strike Chassis, TL3, TT Diamond, APA Lil’ B and Shilen SSM bbl.
See how that goes and may sell all my, well most other righty’s.

I’m a lefty, left eye dominant. Been shooting right bolted rifles for years. I find it simple to run a bolt this way on the bench or prone. Where it becomes and issue for me is freehanded off-hand. I’ve always thought the what if’s? Right side of face / head exposed to breech, action of a weapon.
Will build my own on a Lefty Cadex Lite Strike Chassis, TL3, TT Diamond, APA Lil’ B and Shilen SSM bbl.

Same for me.

This.. I single load my rounds. If you bag the rear, you can put rounds on target fast! If you load the mag, you could send rounds faster then a righty on a righty bolt. Not having to disengage the trigger hand helps that. Its also easier faster to reset from recoil with the trigger hand IMO. Its hard to explain and something only us southpaws can understand...lol

This.. I single load my rounds. If you bag the rear, you can put rounds on target fast! If you load the mag, you could send rounds faster then a righty on a righty bolt. Not having to disengage the trigger hand helps that. Its also easier faster to reset from recoil with the trigger hand IMO. Its hard to explain and something only us southpaws can understand...lol

I shouldn't really say faster. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Thats not the proper word. But it seems smoother and more fluid like to run the rifle. I know myself can be rather quick sending rounds.

I run a tikka t3 varmint in an mdt tac 21 chassis in a left handed configuration and it's much more comfortable to shoot especially off hand. I do however like shooting right handed rifles prone simply because the breach is in my eyeline and it does make it easier to single feed rounds however i dont enjoy almosy punching myself in the face when cycling large calibre rifles 😂 picture on of my rig below

Attachments

• 20190411_194959.jpg
    20190411_194959.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 108
Resurecting an old thread as I have been thinking about this for some time. For a gun that I will strictly run off a tripod coyote hunting, it makes me think a left hand bolt would be easier to operate and not have to lock the leveling base or try to balance with the off hand.