• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Right to Left handed stock conversion

Stcummingsjr

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2006
Sonoma Co. California
What should I expect when reconfiguring a HS stock; making it left handed. I was planning on painting it anyways…, Thus making the right bolt patch a simple fix. but what will I find when I relieve the left bolt cutout? Will I get into the inner foam?(is there any?). I would assume I could form with steelbed/ marine-tex if I run into problems…what do you think? -Or should I just wait to find a used LH stock.

Thanks Steve

Re: Right to Left handed stock conversion

If you are looking for a used LH stock I have a McMillan Baker Special LH with adjustable cheek piece and adjustable LOP sitting here I'd let go for $500. It's currently in a lt green, dk green, brown McMillan camo but it could use a nice paint job. If you'd like me to do that you could pick the camo pattern of your choice from http://catalog.bulldogarms.com/ for $75 more.

i would sell/trade/buy
nothing quite like opening a box and getting somehting the way its supposed to be.

also, ive never tried to grind away the left side of mine, but there is an aluminum bedding block in there, dont know what would be needed to get the trigger to work the other way around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stcummingsjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What should I expect when reconfiguring a HS stock; making it left handed. I was planning on painting it anyways&#133;, Thus making the right bolt patch a simple fix. but what will I find when I relieve the left bolt cutout? Will I get into the inner foam?(is there any?). I would assume I could form with steelbed/ marine-tex if I run into problems&#133;what do you think? -Or should I just wait to find a used LH stock.

Thanks Steve
</div></div> Kinda have had the same question, but nobody really knows. I'm a lefty and have found tons of deals on right hand stocks, but have been wondering also. As far as I have seen, you would have to let the side out the same as on the right side for the trigger and for the safety. I emailed McRees about this once and they said that was about all there was to it. As for the material in an HS stock IDK. Doubt there is aluminum bed that high in the stock. Take a very small drill bit and test drill a few holes inline where the left bolt letting would be and see if there is any metal comes out of the holes.

Steve I presume it depends on your abilities. I'm always offering a left-handed friend that I'll do one for him. Sure it is possible, you'd need some good materials and good method. The steelbed method will not lead to a high quality job. If the stock has a aluminium block or foam in areas is not so problamatic.
I would use a thin laminating epoxy resin with a long pot life of 20min+ and overlap several layers of glass fiber onto the stock when filling the side that needs to be closed. The added bit should integrate into the existing.
It is a bit of an awkward job anyway one does it.
edi