• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Right - wing dog.

101st

SEND IT
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2022
    Connecticut
    There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

GG9EI3CWgAAlMnj

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Nature vs nurture. In a lot of cases I agree with you. In quite a few, I respectfully disagree.

Since my wife is a Veterinarian, and I manage her clinic...I get to see all walks of dog come in. There are dogs that are vicious at 12 weeks.

You don't use labs as junkyard dogs for a reason...they don't have that instinct (nature).

Nature vs nurture. In a lot of cases I agree with you. In quite a few, I respectfully disagree.

Since my wife is a Veterinarian, and I manage her clinic...I get to see all walks of dog come in. There are dogs that are vicious at 12 weeks.

You don't use labs as junkyard dogs for a reason...they don't have that instinct (nature).
    Do you think mental illness is reserved to the human animal? I don't.

A psychopath can exist in any animal.

Personally some dogs at this stage have had specific traits bread into them. Your example of a lab vs say a Mal is very good. Two very different "jobs" humans have worked very hard to breed into those specific breeds. We humans want these animals (in this case) to do a specific job, so we have bread traits into specific "lines" of dog. Today most dogs are to be a pet.

If you have ever been around "real" working dogs, you quickly learn they are not dogs but tools. A real quick way to "mess one up" is let it be a "puppy" during training. Later on they learn if the vest is on they are working, take the vest off and they are "off". They are never really off, just a little less fully on.

Do you think mental illness is reserved to the human animal? I don't.

A psychopath can exist in any animal.

Personally some dogs at this stage have had specific traits bread into them. Your example of a lab vs say a Mal is very good. Two very different "jobs" humans have worked very hard to breed into those specific breeds. We humans want these animals (in this case) to do a specific job, so we have bread traits into specific "lines" of dog. Today most dogs are to be a pet.

If you have ever been around "real" working dogs, you quickly learn they are not dogs but tools. A real quick way to "mess one up" is let it be a "puppy" during training. Later on they learn if the vest is on they are working, take the vest off and they are "off". They are never really off, just a little less fully on.

Mental instability can exist in any animal. Any heifer calf that exhibits even the least amount of this is immediately removed from our prospective breeding program and is sold at market with the rest. Aggressive roosters are eaten. Etc... etc....

We do all (not a whole lot) of the police dogs for the three departments in the county. My wife was a MWD vet in the Army, so they like that. She'll pick an even more aggressive stance than I will on nature vs nurture.

At this point in my life I am heavily motivated to continue my use of mastiff breeds here at the ranch. They have the protective instinct and low energy that I like. My current was out of a breeder that used American Bulldogs as working dogs still. With about two months of initial training, her recall is perfect. I can put her on cattle (not smart enough to herd, but capable of driving), she is my kids' babysitter, and challenger of all things that come down our private driveway. We have not had a remedial training session in 6 years. It's instinct...just like the dogs that get removed from working dog training because they didn't exhibit the necessary natural traits.

If it was all just training (nurture), you'd never have a washout.

This is why I don't trust pits. I actually had two go after each other in our clinic Wednesday with ZERO advance warning. Fortunately my dumbass just happened to be holding onto the one and I managed to snatch the other and pick both off the ground. 60lb pits act just like 6lb cats when you scruff them. Oh...they belonged to the same owner too.

Last edited:
    Mental instability can exist in any animal. Any heifer calf that exhibits even the least amount of this is immediately removed from our prospective breeding program and is sold at market with the rest. Aggressive roosters are eaten. Etc... etc....

We do all (not a whole lot) of the police dogs for the three departments in the county. My wife was a MWD vet in the Army, so they like that. She'll pick an even more aggressive stance than I will on nature vs nurture.

At this point in my life I am heavily motivated to continue my use of mastiff breeds here at the ranch. They have the protective instinct and low energy that I like. My current was out of a breeder that used American Bulldogs as working dogs still. With about two months of initial training, her recall is perfect. I can put her on cattle (not smart enough to herd, but capable of driving), she is my kids' babysitter, and challenger of all things that come down our private driveway. We have not had a remedial training session in 6 years. It's instinct...just like the dogs that get removed from working dog training because they didn't exhibit the necessary natural traits.

If it was all just training (nurture), you'd never have a washout.

This is why I don't trust pits. I actually had two go after each other I our clinic Wednesday with ZERO advance warning. Fortunately my dumbest just happened to be holding onto the one and I managed to snatch the other and pick both off the ground. 60lb pits act just like 6lb cats when you scruff them. Oh...they belonged to the same owner too.
    Have you read anything about the Russian fox experiments. It has been going on for decades. They keep breeding the "mellow" once, and the "aggressive" ones together. The aggressive are just insane, where as the mellow are basically pets now. It is quite interesting.

Me being me can't help but look at this experiment and then look at humans. And IMHO we do have a population of humans that are breeding like this. The same type of people keep coming out of those areas....but that is just me.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Don't just nibble at the leg doggy go for the jugular.

I was doing some structural bldg work for a vet clinic once, the owner and I were bs'ing...I asked what animal do you like to deal with the least? He quickly replied, "there are no bad animals, just bad owners...if your kids come in and tear up my waiting room, your pet will act the same way"...

Reactions: myronman3