• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rimfire benchrest fundamentals

Cuzz

Amory Ms
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2018
North East Mississippi , near Amory
Is there a thread here that tell what causes shooting left or right , vertical stringing and such? I’m shooting 50 yd, welded metal bench ,vudoo, center x, atlas, sandbag .
thanks, my plain problem now is vertical stringing

sounds to me like you are not consistent on the rear bag, maybe putting slight pressure on the bag at the shot, or maybe a slight squeeze anticipating the shot. I was taught to put the butt into the shoulder pulling back slightly and at the same time pushing body forward and into the bipod, dont use the rear bag to support the the gun.

Is there a thread here that tell what causes shooting left or right , vertical stringing and such? I’m shooting 50 yd, welded metal bench ,vudoo, center x, atlas, sandbag .
thanks, my plain problem now is vertical stringing

Vertical stringing tends to be action screws (rear), velocity or rear bag management. If you're squeezing the rear bag you can unconsciously change your grip as you pull the trigger. How consistent has your ammo velocity been?

sounds to me like you are not consistent on the rear bag, maybe putting slight pressure on the bag at the shot, or maybe a slight squeeze anticipating the shot. I was taught to put the butt into the shoulder pulling back slightly and at the same time pushing body forward and into the bipod, dont use the rear bag to support the the gun.
I will try that, ive been letting the bag support the gun
Vertical stringing tends to be action screws (rear), velocity or rear bag management. If you're squeezing the rear bag you can unconsciously change your grip as you pull the trigger. How consistent has your ammo velocity been?
Mpa chassis screws are 65 & 60 rear, havent chronoed the cx but i will.

heres a pic of the strings maybe it will help?
fyi, all but one are 5 shot, longest string on yellow right is 10

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 139
if you let the bag support the gun then each time it is fired you will have a new point of aim, every time its fired the kick of the shot will settle it more into the bag.

Cuzz, that's some fine 50 yard shooting. You're trying to wring every last .1 out of your groups!

If I had to guess, it's the MPA chassis on the bag. They make a bag rider accessory for a reason. Chassis guns can be skittish...

heres a pic of the strings maybe it will help?
fyi, all but one are 5 shot, longest string on yellow right is 10
I my opinion it does not look like you need to work to much to get better groups, those are not too bad, as advised check ammo and work on rear bag.

Cuzz, that's some fine 50 yard shooting. You're trying to wring every last .1 out of your groups!

If I had to guess, it's the MPA chassis on the bag. They make a bag rider accessory for a reason. Chassis guns can be skittish...

i have the heavy bag rider. It appears to be something i’m not doing consistently as they don’t all string vertically?
Can you explain about the chassis on the bag? I would almost bet that the dot is at the same place every shot . It seems like i’m doing something subconsiencly ( i aint good on big words) at the last mini second. Bix n andy is 2.7 oz

Cuzz, I wasn't kidding when I said you were wringing every .1 out of your groups! I reallly think it may come down to ammo. I spent the day today shooting over the chronograph. While things don't fall apart at 50 yards, you may be seeing the variation of velocity. While Center X is good, it still can have velocity variations. If you've got a lot with low SD, then it's time to really focus on the fundamentals. Trigger pull and rear bag management. I'd push it out to 100 yards and see what happens there. Your rifle should easily group in the .8-.9 average for 100 yards. But how the groups look there may tell you more about what your doing.

Reactions: MarkCZ and Cuzz
Cuzz, I wasn't kidding when I said you were wringing every .1 out of your groups! I reallly think it may come down to ammo. I spent the day today shooting over the chronograph. While things don't fall apart at 50 yards, you may be seeing the variation of velocity. While Center X is good, it still can have velocity variations. If you've got a lot with low SD, then it's time to really focus on the fundamentals. Trigger pull and rear bag management. I'd push it out to 100 yards and see what happens there. Your rifle should easily group in the .8-.9 average for 100 yards. But how the groups look there may tell you more about what your doing.
I’m gona try not supporting the gun with the bag, if that don’t help i will probably go back to the stock butt not even touching my shoulder.
Thanks

Dont forget about your breathing, if you look through the scope and continue to breath you will notice the retical moves up and down as you inhale and exhale, your shot should happen at the normal pause when all the air has left your lungs, that's when their is a pause before you inhale again, you can hold that pause for a second or two to make sure you are right on target.

Dash makes a good point as well. Breathing, bag location, cheek weld and your pressure on the rifle all need to be consistent. I do think maintaining good contact with the rifle (downward pressure on the rear stock and bag, rear pressure on the bag with the left hand and cheek weld) is a good carry over for centerfire rifles. Not touching the rifle is certainly BR style. If that's all you're going to do, it's fine. But if you get off the bench and shoot in the field, I think maintaining contact with the rifle will be the way to go.

Dash makes a good point as well. Breathing, bag location, cheek weld and your pressure on the rifle all need to be consistent. I do think maintaining good contact with the rifle (downward pressure on the rear stock and bag, rear pressure on the bag with the left hand and cheek weld) is a good carry over for centerfire rifles. Not touching the rifle is certainly BR style. If that's all you're going to do, it's fine. But if you get off the bench and shoot in the field, I think maintaining contact with the rifle will be the way to go.
this monster is 18 lb, i’d have to hire a gorilla to carry it squrril hunting!

• Haha
Reactions: simpletoms
Once you get your fundamentals down the next thing is....

5shots @100 Vudoo Eley Tenex 18” barrel with bipod and bag low wind. Most groups were larger, but not much. .5-1.2. The ammunition is everything with the 22lr. Many Vudoo shooters, have found SKS S+ the best. Mine likes CenterX, Eley, and SKS. What’s tough is that one lot is great, the next might not be.

Serious about ammunition? You can send the rifle to the Eley test facility, in Winters, Texas and Killbrough’s can find the correct lot for that particular setup. I believe Lupua has a similar deal somewhere in Arizona. Once you find the best lot, buy a bunch.

Attachments

• 207E3698-675D-4F5D-9D6A-6227C0F17BDA.jpeg
    207E3698-675D-4F5D-9D6A-6227C0F17BDA.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Cuzz