• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Brass Toxic?

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
Ok folks,

Since I moved into my new house a little over a year ago, I have had the opportunity to fire close to 100,000 rounds of .22LR in my back yard.
grin.gif

Now that we are starting to landscape and do work around the yard, the wife is noticing that I haven't been that diligent about policing my brass.
Additionally, my 19 month old daughter is attracted to the shinny buggers.

The question is, are expended .22 rimfire cartridges dangerous for children to be around?
Other than a possible choking hazard, are there significant amounts of lead or other toxins present that I should be concerned about?

My daughter's state mandated lead tests came back with 0.0%.
So far so good and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks for the help

Re: Rimfire Brass Toxic?

one more problem is the big lead and primer compound exposure in the.22 unjacketed bullets and primers that is sprayed into the air and left on the earth after shooting

While I understand your concern, I did some research into lead remediation and the paths contamination follow after release into the environment. The first thing I found is that lead and other contaminants tend to wash into the surface soil with rainwater and actual surface contamination is sharply reduced over time. The other thing is that lead is a relatively active element and combines with many other elements to form less harmful compounds. One very effective means of remediating all but very heavy contaminations is to simply spread gardener's lime over the affected area. It combines with the lead, essentially removing it's active effects on the environment and local habitation. This is backed up by direct evidence in the form of periodic lead tests on our ground water. Our numbers typically come back with less than 10% of the level at which action would be indicated. This for an active rifle range in use since the 1930's. We believe in a pro-active approach the the lead issue. The brass itself should be only a very minor issue, if any at all.

For more info, google 'Lead Remediation", and bear in mind that a lot of what you'll be seeing is presented from the viewpoint of concerns with primary business related vested interests in maximizing the perception of threat. Industrial users should be highly concerned; less severely involved consumers, less so.

Greg

Good info Greg!
Thank you...

Since the affected area is right were my wife is gardening, it sounds like I might already be taking your advice.
The backstop, now that's a different story...

I would make a one-time upgrade to the backstop area, installing a volume of sand as the impact medium. This way it can be dug and screened periodically to recover the lead, which has significant recycle value. At very least, cast bullet molders would be interested.

Greg