• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire, high resolution

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi,

Rimfire at 200 yards with a 1 minute capable 22lr against high vis splatter targets. Prefer >20 power. Resolution and magnification are king so I can resolve individual hits in a cluster.

I need >20 mil elevation because I go longer ranges and I prefer a fine dot with a tree.

What’s the cheapest I can do without getting a headache? My primary rifles are running S&Bs and I want to keep this on a budget.

Seems like Bushnell Match Pro and Arken EP-5 are leaders but I can’t check the reticle of either. Or do I bite the bullet on an Athlon Chronus? Would appreciate advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well...Compared to the new S&B PMII prices, "on a budget" means under $2,500 for a scope, right? 😂

Whichever scope you go with, get a set of ARC M-Brace rings for it. You'll thank me later. 👍🏼

I run one of these and have no problems seeing holes on shoot-n-see targets at 200... But everyone's eyes are different... And while is one of the cheapest scopes I own...It works just fine for my needs on my .22 LR. I had an Arken EP-5, and removed it to mount one of these. The glass was better in my XTR-II in my samples.

If you want better glass & mechanicals, and don't mind paying a little more for a noticeably better scope for your .22LR...

If you want better yet, then I'd just jump up to the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 or the Kahles K624i... Both are phenomenal scopes.

And if you need more magnification...

I use a Zeiss S3 636 on a Ruger RPR at 200yds.
Beautiful scope. I set the center pip with brightness just above the target on the center and bang away.
I do use a Timney trigger and Lapua Long Range.
I do have an Athlon 4.5-27 on a Ruger Custom Shop 10/22.
It's ok but not Zeiss ok!
-Richard

Ill just say that I did it and can see the impacts on painted steel at 200, can’t speak to splatter targets as I just use butcher paper.
That’s it folks. @spife7980 just revealed that he works in the meat dept.

1704735835047.jpeg

Resolution over 30x? Eyebox forgiving enough for bifocals?
The Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56 is more of a target scope because its SFP. And it only comes in MOA with half MOA hashes and a daylight bright small center dot. MOA is correct on 40x. I was surprised when I compared it to my FFP G2 Cronus because this ETR, which could be considered a G3 Athlon scope, has superior Image Quality. It doesn't start to dim until 42x or so. A very impressive target scope regardless of price.

For paper and self spotting its a great choice.
Nope its not a scope for dynamic shooting.

Here's mine.
20231204_111858.jpg
20230823_115150.jpg

Reactions: st1650