• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rimfire malfunctions gone with 9mm can

CaptArab

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2020
I have a cheapo savage B22 FV-SR 16" 22LR. It wears a 6 power super chicken.
Great little rig for $500 bucks with one major issue - ejection.
I've only shot it with my Rugged Oculus 22.

I've had extraction issues since the first mag.
I usually end up pulling a few cases per mag out by picking under the rim with my fingernail.
I've noticed that even with my fingernail or a leatherman, the cases aren't exactly easy to extract.
There's plenty of extractor mods on the interwebs, but I've still got less than 500 rounds on the gun and haven't had time to fool with it.
I usually just cuss and wish I'd have bought a tikka.

Well anyhow, I also own a rugged obsidian 9, which has almost the exact same design as the oculus, other than the obvious dimension differences.
I'm thinking about picking up a 308 16" bolt gun, and wanted to see how a bolt action handled with a 7-8 inch can, so I unthreaded my oculus, mounted my obsidian 9, and headed out to the range for lunch break (my back yard :) ). The Rugged Obsidian series is easily user serviceable, so no worries with rimfire crud.

Anyhow, after a couple mags, I had a realization - I hadn't had a single malfunction.

I suspect the increased back pressure somehow expands the little 22 case and causes difficulty ejecting.
I actually think the Obsidian 9 is a hair quieter as well.
The size isn't really an issue on a 16" inch bolt action.

Anyhow, if anyone out there can only afford one suppressor and is stuck between a pistol can, and a rimfire can the obsidian 9 isn't a bad way to fly.
Makes a great deer gun on a 357 lever action too :)
Overall, the most versatile can I own.

Last edited:
What ammunition are you using?

I have a B22 and don't have any problems whether it is suppressed or not. I've tried various brands of ammo through it but so far I've got the best groups with the CCI Mini Mags or the CCI suppressor ammunition.

CCI standard, Aguila super extra, junk Remington, A couple Eleys, all the same, really.
Some are better than others, none are good.

There's definitely a notable performance increase with the 9mm vs 22lr can.

It's definitely a poor extractor design, and should function fine with any suppressor, but in this case I just thought it was interesting the 9mm can doesn't cause issues.

BTW, I haven't tried filling the extractor, etc.

Just stating an interesting observation, not prescribing a fix of "buy a new can to fix a $15 extractor".

I know that you've probably done it anyway but want to ask regardless. Have you applied enough oil in the inner-workings of the bolt; particularly in the area of the extractor?

I also work the bolt back and forth pretty fast as if my life depends on it. My Anschutz 64 MPR rifles have similar extractors with the same issues. Working the bolt vigorously as if I were facing a horde of saber-toothed chipmunks mitigates any extraction problems.

BTW, based on the below video, your theory would have some credence. The amount of increased internal pressure may be enough to push the cartridge back and cause the hook of the extractor to ride up over the rim if it wasn't there.