• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rimfire pistol opinions...

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
i didn't know if i should ask this here or in the sidearm section, but...

i found what i think is a deal on a S&W 22a, but was also thinking aboout a ruger mkii. does any body have more input on both of these that has experience with both? the ruger seems like it has more quality to it and has more accessories, the S&W feels more natural to me feels more like a "regular" pistol.

any feeding problems in either, accuraccy comments, any other problems, pros /cons, etc.

Re: rimfire pistol opinions...

I have owned both, now I own a ruger MKIII with a hogue target grip, and a browning buckmark, if you don't like the feel of the ruger i'd suggest the browning, as for the 22a, accuracy wasn't up to par with the others, functioning was about the same, I just didn't like it, felt too cheap JMHO

Steve

I have had the Ruger Standard, MK II, and now a MK III 22/45 hunter. The 22/45 give you a grip closer to an M1911. The non-22/45 give you the standard Riger grip and metal frame. The Rugers will last forever and are great shooters. You can find cheaper, but not more durable.

For a semi-target, the Rugers also come in Target version with adjustable sights.

If you want a match gun, I owned a S&W M41 (7 1/2" w/compensator) and shot in College against the Air Force Academy and other cleeges. They are now very expensive.

i have a price of a used 22a for $189. the use mk ii i'm looking at is about 100 bucks more. do you think giving up a little accuracy for 100 less is worth it? (i don't like to give up accuracy for anything, however this is going to be a casual plinker, and not used for any serious target shooting)

if you want a pistol that will last through hundreds of thousands of rounds then yes, absolutely. you get what you pay for, spend the extra cash

if I was you, i'd go out and buy a new MKIII for $300, then you'd have a side mag release instead of under the grip,
but htats just me...

Get the Ruger. Repeat...get the Ruger. The "little bit" of accuracy may keep you from hitting your target. I've had both. Don't own the S&W now.

Browning Buckmark Bullseye with an Ultradot.

browningbuckmarkultradot5-19-090001.jpg

GO RUGER!!!! I own the Mark 2 and Mark 3 hunter they are both TACK DRIVERS!!!! get the ruger and dont look back they are only going up in value right now

I have sold my Ruger .22's and bought BuckMarks. One is stock (except trigger spring flip) and iron sighted for Steel Matches (.22 iron) and one with a TacSol barrel and Burris FastFire (for.22 open). The TacSol is threaded but I don't shoot the can in the Matches because the timer can't hear the rds fire.

I like the mag release location on the BM better. It is easily taken down to clean and easily put back together. The grip angle feels better to me. Having said that....I'm not throwing rocks at the Rugers. I have had a bunch over the years and they served me well. I just happen to prefer the BM now days.

Keith

I like the High Standard Supermatic trophy and the Smith Model 41. I owned one and had extended loan of the other. I now manage to survive without owning any handguns and have done so for over a decade.

I had an opportunity to do a week of intensive handgun training with the Marine Corps Teams at Quantico back in the early 1990's. The Pistol team members were allowed any .22LR pistol they chose. With practically no exceptions, they used either High Standard Supermatics or Victors, or Smith 41's.

These days, if I were to acquire a .22LR handgun, it would be a Smith 41, mainly because HS magazines are very quirky, and I never truly managed the magazine tuning process. If they weren't, I'd be championing the Victor.

Greg

I would suggest the Buckmark (as others have noted) for the budget pistol (I paid $369 new for mine). It run all kinds of ammo perfectly, and doesnt have the obtuse grip angle of the Rugers. That said, many people like the Mark III Ruger just fine.

If spending more $ is OK, the SW 41 is my choice for a higher end product (I think $900 for mine). A little more picky than the Buckmark, but silly accurate when you find what it likes.

I 've shot the 22/45 Mark II quite a bit, Like it, and recently considered upgrading the trigger/hammer to the Volquartzen kit. Decided agaist it and put a S&W model 41 on lay-a-way.
The Buckmark looks like a nice option, but was more than I wanted to spend at the time I got the Ruger. I had also never fired a buckmark. The Rugers I had fired always performed acceptably, thus I went with it.
The Rugers seem to be alittle more common, as are replacement and aftermarket parts.
The 22/45 will continue as is as a "beginner" for my kids and new shooters also as one to use as a "field" pistol.

The Model 41 will be for ME! I'll probobly share it alittle too.
smile.gif

buckmark or S&W 41, the rugers have the serial number stamped on the barreled action/upper. so, if you want to buy a tactical solutions upper you have to go through the FFL paperwork and all that crap. The buckmark you just have the new barrel sent to your house and you slap it on and go.

I'd go Sig/Hammerli Trailside. The one I have has been really reliable, or at least the few times Ive used it i have had no problems. I do know some Trailside owners have experienced some problems. and 4 and 6 in barrel models are available and feel great. just my .2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buckmark or S&W 41, the rugers have the serial number stamped on the barreled action/upper. so, if you want to buy a tactical solutions upper you have to go through the FFL paperwork and all that crap. The buckmark you just have the new barrel sent to your house and you slap it on and go. </div></div>

Another reason I went with the BuckMark....

Keith

You can't go wrong with the MKII/MKII or the Buckmark. I prefer the Ruger but it's apples and oranges. Their both great sidearms.