• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Postal Match

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Reading on here gave me some ideas about starting up a postal shoot with my friends and family. Here's a copy of the rules that I worked out with my dad and 1 friend. Seems like a cheap easy way to have some fun. Ideally, I'd like to change the distances to 50, 100, 200 yards but most of us don't have access to a 200 yard range (my dad's back yard is the best and it's only 175 yards up the mountain)

Enjoy.

<span style="font-style: italic">
Annual 22 LR Postal Match

The underlying idea for this match is to keep costs down and provide a fun competition amongst some shooting enthusiasts. That being said, the rules were thought of in terms of what equipment we all most likely have already and what is cheap and easy to shoot, hence a light 22 rifle and pistol “2-gun” match. I’m trying to make the rules easy to follow and informal, there’s a spirit of the rules clause and that says: “If there’s a loophole to be exploited because we forgot something and it’s a distinctive advantage, it’s forbidden.”

I know, that’s a hard rule to accept for most of us who sit around and think “how can I get around this rule…” We’ve all done it, I’m saying for this competition it’s out for budget and tool availability reasons. I’m sure my dad can dress up a Marlin 25N to shoot about like an Anschutz does, but that’s not particularly fair to the driving idea behind this competiton, so it’s out.

I’m trying to keep the rules straight forward and still answer as many future questions as possible. If you have a question ask and we can talk about it, I’ll try to involve everyone on the discussion, but for now I think I have most everything detailed below.

The last match of the year will be hosted by my dad (Mike) and we'll roll out the prizes after we're done. I think it would also be fun to bring some swinging steel targets along and have some fun with those, maybe a quick side rifle match at 175 yards up the Mountain, same rules, everyone throws in 50 rounds of their choice, winner takes all.

Equipment:
1. Rifles allowed are any type action.
2. Pistols allowed are any type: Most of the initial minds involved have Ruger Mk II’s, so that’s the majority of the competition field.
3. Sights allowed on rifles are anything you want. Since the “light scoped 22” is so common as a hunting tool it made the most sense to just let people shoot whatever they want.
4. Pistols are limited to Windage Adjustable, Elevation Adjustable V-notch Iron sights, aka the type that comes standard on a Ruger Mk II. Diopters, micrometer peeps sights, aim-point, etc. are all prohibited.
5. The only modifications allowed are adding a scope mount if the receiver isn’t originally made for one, adding a replacement trigger or doing a trigger job, checking headspace if you so feel the need. The rifle may also be recrowned if you want. Tuning Collars, pillar bedding, counterboring the barrel to act as a tuning collar is out, etc.
6. I don’t want to put a max price tag on what’s allowed and what isn’t, but a purebred target rifle or pistol that’s made for shooting itty bitty groups with special ammo is out, back again to the “Spirit of the Rules” clause. An easy idea to keep in mind is “would I walk around the woods with it?”

Ammunition:
1. Caliber is 22 Long Rifle Only, no exceptions.
2. Ammo allowed must be a brand and cheap-o type that comes from WalMart.
a. The 550 or 525 round bulk packs of Remington or Federal cheapies that we all use for just plinking around is the idea.
b. Expensive Aquila or Wolf Select Match, Lapua Match, etc etc. is forbidden. It doesn’t need to be purchased from WallyWorld, but it must be available there. I know that they sell 325 round boxes of Federal Match ammo, that’s not allowed either. If it says “Target” or “Match” in the name, it’s out. We’re going for cheap, fun competition, let’s keep that in mind when choosing ammo.

Course of Fire:
1. The course of fire is 40 rounds plus an additional 10 are allowed for marker shots in order to make any kind of targeting changes. Total is 50 rounds
2. The various ranges and shot strings are:
a. 25 yards, offhand pistol 10 rounds
b. 50 yards, rested pistol 10 rounds (still fired by hand, not a mechanical rest)
c. 50 yards, offhand rifle 10 rounds
d. 100 yards, rested rifle 10 rounds (still fired by hand, not a mechanical rest)
3. The target to be used will be the standard 100 yard small bore rifle target. I will go get a pack at Walmart and scan a PDF that we can all use, just print it out and go to the range. This way our costs are minimal and it’s easy to get through an email.
4. The 4 targets used need to be scanned to have a reference 1” line on them and scanned into an email. If you don’t have that capability, then mail them to the organizer via the post office and the organizer will scan them to keep them on record.
5. Write the measured group size on the target with:
a. Name
b. Rifle or Pistol Used
c. Range
d. Date Fired
e. Total 10 shot score
6. Each target is worth a max of 100 points, total score is 400 points. For tied scores, the determination will be made by total number of “X” hits.
7. To make it easy on the organizer, monthly targets are due by the 5th of each month. I will do my best to have the results for the month out by the 15th of the month.

Prizes/Cost to Play:
1. Each person “pays” 100 rounds of “shooters choice” 22 ammo into the pot for the year.
2. The organizer (me) will keep a spreadsheet of:
a. Smallest Pistol Group
b. Smallest Rifle Group
c. Overall Combined Score, including “X hits”
Each month the organizer will update the spreadsheet and send out a copy of the results via email.
3. At the end of the year the winner for each category will get a prize. The prizes are as follows
a. 12.a gets 25% of the prize 22’s
b. 12.b gets 25% of the prize 22’s
c. 12.c gets 50% of the prize 22’s
d. It is perfectly OK for 1 person to win it all, we’re not playing by the Obama Rules of Life.
4. The final match of the year will be hosted by Mike and the final match will be shot that day. Prizes go home with the winners, be sure to bring your 100 rounds of 22’s to put in the pot that day. If you can’t make it, send the organizer some money to pick them up for you.
5. Annual match is looking to take place during the week between Christmas and New Year, on a Saturday. Seems to be the best time to know that as many people as possible are home from work trips, school, etc.

If we can all find a good time during July or August to have a Saturday and make a summer match I would prefer that so it’s not ice cold out, but getting everyone in one spot might be difficult. That part is still up for discussion as the time closes in. </span>

Sounds like a good time! Might have to have to set one of these matches up with some buddies...