• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire practice targets

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I originally put this target set together just for me when I was practicing with my 10/22 and to make range trips a little less mundane but I thought I'd make a few changes and share it with everyone here. It has a little of everything like a hostage taker target, dot drills, targets for shooting positional with a sling, etc... The way I have it set up it only requires 50 rounds and a 50 yard range. Designed to print out on 8.5X11 there are three target sheets and a final score sheet that you can use to help keep track of your progress or among friends as a little friendly competition. I hope you enjoy.

50-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target_Page_1.jpg

50-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target_Page_2.jpg
    50-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target_Page_3.jpg

Attachments

• 50-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target.pdf
      84.4 KB · Views: 930
    Wow, those are great. Thanks, I was heading to the range later today for some ammo testing. I printed them out and will take them with me.

I originally put this target set together just for me when I was practicing with my 10/22 and to make range trips a little less mundane but I thought I'd make a few changes and share it with everyone here. It has a little of everything like a hostage taker target, dot drills, targets for shooting positional with a sling, etc... The way I have it set up it only requires 50 rounds and a 50 yard range. Designed to print out on 8.5X11 there are three target sheets and a final score sheet that you can use to help keep track of your progress or among friends as a little friendly competition. I hope you enjoy.

View attachment 6976277
    View attachment 6976278View attachment 6976279
    Nicely done!

I forgot where I got these targets. All I know is that they came of a Czech website. Anyway, I added to one of them and they make great rimfire practice targets at 50 yards.

Attachments

• Czech Hostage Targets (1).pdf
      285.2 KB · Views: 225
    • Czech Hostage Targets (2).pdf
      119.8 KB · Views: 160
    • Czech Hostage Targets (2a).pdf
      336.4 KB · Views: 156
    Reactions: TheMightyGorilla
    If you have kids, the attached targets are great fun with a scoped .22LR, air rifle or short range with a pistol.

Attachments

• Snake Target Game Rev 2.pdf
      542.2 KB · Views: 159
    • Snake Target Game BW Rev 2.pdf
      527 KB · Views: 107
    • Troll Target 4 BW.pdf
      407 KB · Views: 111
    • Troll Target 4 Color.pdf
      746.4 KB · Views: 96
    • Little Miss Muffet Target 6.pdf
      495 KB · Views: 116
    • Little Miss Muffet Target 7.pdf
      521 KB · Views: 80
    • Flying Money Target 1.pdf
      532.6 KB · Views: 121
    • Dinosaur Target.pdf
      446.5 KB · Views: 101
    Reactions: buskin
    Give me some ideas of some targets to produce. I like making fun targets for the kids to shoot at. If they can't shoot at something that falls over, goes clang or explodes because of range restrictions then the paper fun targets are the next best thing.

Sometimes, I get the kid to shooting against me. I always miss the target or hit in a zone that subtracts points from my score. Then they kick my butt when they shoot at their targets. Let them take their targets home to show Mom how well they did.

The kids are the future of the shooting sports. If it isn't as fun as a video game, they are not going to participate.

I started off using MS word but found out that Publisher was much easier to use then I saved the finished product as a PDF file.

Longshot, thanks for the additional targets. Those are great. I built up a nice little 10/22 for my Granddaughter and printed some of those for her to play with.

View attachment 6976277
    Would you please explain the procedure for the X the course. I cannot get the number to add up.

10 rounds, 2 shots standing, 2 shots kneeling, 2 shots sitting, 2 shots prone. You have 2 shots for alibi fire if you want to take them, at which point you take the best two or four shots (kneeling/sitting target) for score. It is a practice target after all, I'm not heartless.

I almost forgot one of the best training targets of all.

Attachments

• ISIS Goat Hostage Target.pdf
      83.3 KB · Views: 249
    If you print a target on tracing paper then you can score that target using the target from the range as the underlay on a light box.

Attached are some Black Death and KYL targets. These look like they were made for rimfire. I haven't tried them yet but it does look pretty challenging.

What some shooters don't realize is how much the wind can affect the POI at even a close distance of 50 yards. I realize that just about every member of this forum already knows that but I tell new shooters and even the kids how much the wind will affect their POI.

According the JBM ballistics a 10 MPH crosswind on my standard velocity Norma/RWS 40 grain bullet will cause it to drift 1.2 inches at 50 yards. When you look at the Black Death targets or the KYL targets you can see how, with even the most accurate rimfire rifle, the wind can mess you up.

Let's look at the drift for the various wind velocities of a standard velocity bullet at 50 yards.

10 MPH - 1.2"
    5 MPH - .6"
    4 MPH - .48"
    3 MPH - .36"
    2 MPH - .24"
    1 MPH - .12"

I don't know about anyone else but when the wind gets down to less the 3 MPH, I can barely feel it on my face. So if you are trying to hit a 1/4" KYL target it is pretty challenging even with a 2 MPH crosswind.

Put money on it and it can get a little stressful. Start the competition with saying that the loser has to wear a dress... Well, I don't know what that would be like cause those stakes are a little too high. I don't think I would take that challenge.

I got the KYL target that is reviewed in the video. Bill Black was great to work with and the target is everything that he says it is. The only thing that I did to the target was polish the inside of the pipe that the horizontal bar resides in with 200 grit sand paper.

So far I haven't found anyone locally that will shoot against me as my Anschutz 64 MPR with MDT chassis and Gen II PST Viper 5-25X scares most people away. I let the kids shoot my rifle and they are pretty good on about the first seven targets. Here's the link. https://yourtarget.biz/ I highly recommend the KYL target that Mr. Black makes.

I'd like to see some competition like this around where I live. If I recall correctly a hit on the bar holding the plate does not count.

Attachments

• BlackDeath_Ace.pdf
      65.4 KB · Views: 190
    • BlackDeath_Challenge.pdf
      68.8 KB · Views: 144
    • BlackDeathMax-ItPractice24.pdf
      82.2 KB · Views: 104
    • BlackDeathMax-ItPractice48.pdf
      84.2 KB · Views: 130
    • Knowyourlimits.pdf
      90 KB · Views: 178
    You know there's scoring lines already on the target right?

Of course since I am only blind in one eye. Perhaps you do not keep your targets but I do. So you have targets with bullet holes in them. Perhaps some well-meaning fellow comes along and says only the scores on Target XYZ matter. Given you agree with him, then simply compute the scores using the overlay.

Well, the thread drifted a little bit but here is version 2 of my 50/50 rimfire practice targets. I used military E and F-type targets.
    Rimfire Practice Target - Version2.0_Page_1.jpg

Rimfire Practice Target - Version2.0_Page_2.jpg

Rimfire Practice Target - Version2.0_Page_3.jpg

Attachments

• Rimfire Practice Target - Version2.0.pdf
      107.5 KB · Views: 432
    Reactions: Longshot231
    If you have kids or the kid inside of you wants to come out and play, I've attached the Whack-a-Mole targets. The instructions are on page 2.

I would suggest only printing page one (the target) as you don't want to waste paper and ink by printing the instructions.

Attachments

• Wack-A-Mole Target Rimfire Color.pdf
      384.2 KB · Views: 115
    • Wack-A-Mole Target Rimfire B-W.pdf
      615.5 KB · Views: 101
    Thanks for the targets Trigger Monkey. I only shot the prone target today but it was fun. Zero'ed the KYL on the first shot, really no idea what happened there. This was at 50 yards prone with bipod and rear bag, Vudoo V22 , SK Standard Plus, light shifty winds.
    Target-12-9-18.jpg

Here's a few more targets. The Little Rocket Man target is self-explanatory.

If you are in a place where you can't shoot a real dueling tree, I've attached the next best thing.

One version of the dueling tree target simply has a line down the middle. Who ever shoots all the apples on their side of the tree wins. Hit all the apples first, then take out the squirrel and ground hog.

The other version has green and red apples. Each player picks a color. Shoot all the apples of your assigned color then take out the squirrel and ground hog. Whoever, shoots all of his colored apples and the animals first wins the game.

Attachments

• Kim Jong-Un Target 2.pdf
      154.5 KB · Views: 95
    • Kim Jong-Un Target.pdf
      139.8 KB · Views: 89
    • Dueling Tree Target 1.pdf
      248.1 KB · Views: 124
    • Dueling Tree Target 2.pdf
      252.8 KB · Views: 95
    just print it off or take to fed ex or kinkos and have some printed 8.5x11 regular copy paper

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
      Scan_Pic0001.jpg
      154.8 KB · Views: 97

View attachment 6976277
    We used to shoot something like that first target as a monthly online competition here in the rimfire section. It was a lot of fun!