• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire practice

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I'm working on reviewing the new Grayboe Phoenix stock so to do part of that I dropped a B14R barreled action in it and hit the range to do some rimfire practice yesterday. I'm not going to talk too much about the Grayboe at the moment but I think my rimfire practice session went pretty well. I used my 50-50 rimfire practice target and collapsible barricade that I put together back in the summer.

I've talked about the 50-50 targets a few times and linked them so others can download them. It's basically three pages with target sets that emphasize different aspects such as precision, positional, and barricade shooting. There's a score sheet that goes with it so you can track progress or have a friendly competition with other shooters. My score yesterday was a 111 out of 115 but I had to use my two make up shots on the positional so I spent some extra time yesterday working with the sling and body positioning, I was rusty.

50-50 rimfire practice.jpg

The barricade is an updated version of one I built earlier this year but I was using a cheaper folding saw horse to do it and I didn't like it so much. Going through Lowe's one day I came across their Kobalt saw horses which had legs that were more sturdy and locked in the up position. So, I grabbed one and moved the framework from the other barricade over to it and really couldn't be happier with it. It's stable, versatile, and best of all I can fold it up and put it in the back of the Jeep more easily than the first break down barricades that I made.

collapsible barricade.jpg

Finally, the rifle:

B14R in Phoenix.jpg

Attachments

• 50-50 Rimfire Precision Practice Target.pdf
      84.4 KB · Views: 151
    That’s a pretty great use of short distance with limited ammo and what scope are you running there.

Last edited:
    Thanks for this. Been looking for something to use in a little friendly competition with my father in law.

Thanks for the targets. I've been considering a Grayboe stock to replace the Bell and Carlson I have on my Bergara barreled action. I'll be curious to here your review.

It'll be a little bit for the full review but I'll say this, I'm aware of the issues another member had with his Phoenix and mine exhibited similar traits. That being said, I dropped my Bergara HMR and B14R barreled actions into this stock, torqued the action screws, and hit the range. The HMR was stacking rounds at 200 yards into a black spot on the steel and did fine out at 300 too, you can see how the B14R did accuracy wise. I've shot with this stock in the prone, off the bench, off a tripod, off barricades, and slung up, it's pretty good.