• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire scope and more?

IndianCent

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2023
Idaho
Hello All,
I am looking to add a scope to my Ruger Competition 10/22 (Koenig Edition). I bought this rifle a few years ago and I am finally finding time to play with it. I will start with a local 50 yard bench rest competition. I do not want to limit the scope to that, I have other rifles in .223 and I expect the scope to do a good job at Varmint distances as well.
My choice so far is the FFP Zeiss LRP S3 636-56. It has a large 56 mm objective, a 34 mm tube, 6-36 magnification, 110 MOA elevation travel, illuminated reticle etc.
Does anyone have any experience with this scope or any other thoughts to share? Thanks

For BR applications, most people use fine cross hair or fine cross hair with dot. Not sure anyone uses FFP in BR situations since the rectical stays the same size. You don't want your aimpoint "hiding" behind the crosshairs. If BR means ABRA, most use Sightron 36x fixed or the older weaver 36x fixed.

Reactions: Halfnutz
If you are not willing to buy a dedicated scope for both your uses, I think your choice is solid. I have a LRP S5 5-25 and at 50 yards the dot is smaller than a 22LR bullet hole on full power. I have stayed away from Zeiss scopes forever, but I would buy more of these in a minute.
A Kahles or a ZCO dot is comparable in size also.
here is a spec sheet from Zeiss:

For BR applications, most people use fine cross hair or fine cross hair with dot. Not sure anyone uses FFP in BR situations since the rectical stays the same size. You don't want your aimpoint "hiding" behind the crosshairs. If BR means ABRA, most use Sightron 36x fixed or the older weaver 36x fixed.
Thanks, I may go with a SIII (36 or 45) and defer the longer range CF decision.

If you are not willing to buy a dedicated scope for both your uses, I think your choice is solid. I have a LRP S5 5-25 and at 50 yards the dot is smaller than a 22LR bullet hole on full power. I have stayed away from Zeiss scopes forever, but I would buy more of these in a minute.
A Kahles or a ZCO dot is comparable in size also.
here is a spec sheet from Zeiss:
I appreciate your input, it seems these Zeiss scopes are very desirable at their current price point.

Thanks, I may go with a SIII (36 or 45) and defer the longer range CF decision.
I have used both the Weaver 36x and the SII36x for RFBR on bolt actions, prefer the glass on the weavers, just my preference. I've upgraded to the SIII 45ED, and probably won't go back. I've got to find a use for 36x's I've accumulated over time. LOL

I have used both the Weaver 36x and the SII36x for RFBR on bolt actions, prefer the glass on the weavers, just my preference. I've upgraded to the SIII 45ED, and probably won't go back. I've got to find a use for 36x's I've accumulated over time. LOL
I think I might opt for the S3 45ED as well. What makes it better than the SII36x (other than magnification)? Not sure what the savings are for a good used SII36x.

I think I might opt for the S3 45ED as well. What makes it better than the SII36x (other than magnification)? Not sure what the savings are for a good used SII36x.
big/major difference is the 45x has ED glass, where the 36x does not. Not sure the 36x offers ED as an option. I went for the extra magnification and ED glass. There is a difference (IMO) between the 2 scopes, but there is a price difference as well. For me, $$ well spent as I have 2 of the 45xED's.

I've seen S2 36x used listed for $350-400 depending on the seller. Used 45xED are pretty rare and usually about double of the S2 36x.

big/major difference is the 45x has ED glass, where the 36x does not. Not sure the 36x offers ED as an option. I went for the extra magnification and ED glass. There is a difference (IMO) between the 2 scopes, but there is a price difference as well. For me, $$ well spent as I have 2 of the 45xED's.

I've seen S2 36x used listed for $350-400 depending on the seller. Used 45xED are pretty rare and usually about double of the S2 36x.
I see the 45xED for $1129.99 on Sightron, Optics Planet or Amazon. Is there any better price that you are aware of? It looks like MAP dictated by Sightron.

It sounds like the reticle thickness is a concern. Are you still shooting and liking that scope on your 10/22?
Been a few+ years. I keep the scope, JIC.
The Sightron 36x has a fine cross hair with a 1/8th moa dot. You dont want to obscure the target. Consistant ammo is the key.
The 10/22 (mine any way) is a money pit. I've built and massaged and changed it many times over the years (over 30 years). I could've bought a couple Anschutz by now.

I see the 45xED for $1129.99 on Sightron, Optics Planet or Amazon. Is there any better price that you are aware of? It looks like MAP dictated by Sightron.
Contact some of the optic retailers here at SH and see what they can do for you. Some dealers will sell below MSRP, how much depends on the dealer.

Been a few+ years. I keep the scope, JIC.
The Sightron 36x has a fine cross hair with a 1/8th moa dot. You dont want to obscure the target. Consistant ammo is the key.
The 10/22 (mine any way) is a money pit. I've built and massaged and changed it many times over the years (over 30 years). I could've bought a couple Anschutz by now.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun for the money. Thanks for the insight.

Contact some of the optic retailers here at SH and see what they can do for you. Some dealers will sell below MSRP, how much depends on the dealer.
Thank you, but I just placed the order. I bought the scope for $226 less than MAP. Looking foward to playing with it.

Last edited:
You are looking at quality glass in the Zeiss. Have you looked at Meotpa or Valdada, I believe they use German Shott glass. Glass quality, German, Japan, Philippine, China. Do you need 56mm objective? Go to a BR match and look at what they are using... most will let you look through their scope. OPPS I'm a day late.

You are looking at quality glass in the Zeiss. Have you looked at Meotpa or Valdada, I believe they use German Shott glass. Glass quality, German, Japan, Philippine, China. Do you need 56mm objective? Go to a BR match and look at what they are using... most will let you look through their scope. OPPS I'm a day late.
Got it, opted for Sightron S3 45X for BR. I will decide on the longer range CF later. Thanks

Reactions: Halfnutz
I have the new Weaver 48X and it is pretty good. Son has a Leica 56mm objective and can shoot coyotes in the moonlight. I believe Leica uses Shott glass. Glass is so expensive I use the scope for a spotting scope. Have heard the 25x Valdada is so clear you can see 22 holes at 200yds. Nothing wrong with Sightron, I think they use Japanese glass in their S3 series.

I have the new Weaver 48X and it is pretty good. Son has a Leica 56mm objective and can shoot coyotes in the moonlight. I believe Leica uses Shott glass. Glass is so expensive I use the scope for a spotting scope. Have heard the 25x Valdada is so clear you can see 22 holes at 200yds. Nothing wrong with Sightron, I think they use Japanese glass in their S3 series.
Sightron is one of the most used scopes at the 50 yard BR matches, so I will start with that. If I ever outperform the scope I will be open to more options.

Sure enough Valdada uses Shott glass. However should you have any issue with the scope it will be gone for repair for a long, long, long, long time. I had a problem with one and it was a year and a half before it was returned. Will I ever purchase another one? You have to be kidding.