• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rimfire scope for a backpack gun?

IrishWind

Laughing at the Absurdity of it all
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2003
NoVa
I have a Henry Survival Rifle (AR-7) on the way and am already looking for a scope for it. I was thinking the Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 for a compact scope to use with their QDW rings. Before I commit I wanted to see what else was out there. But I am not finding a lot of dedicated compact rimfire scopes. Even Leupold has listed the 2-7 scope as 'No Longer For Sale' on their webpage. And I don't want any Chinese made optics. I am beginning to think those scopes are now passe in the age of Precision Rimfire guns.

I have a Henry Survival Rifle (AR-7) on the way and am already looking for a scope for it. I was thinking the Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 for a compact scope to use with their QDW rings. Before I commit I wanted to see what else was out there. But I am not finding a lot of dedicated compact rimfire scopes. Even Leupold has listed the 2-7 scope as 'No Longer For Sale' on their webpage. And I don't want any Chinese made optics. I am beginning to think those scopes are now passe in the age of Precision Rimfire guns.
Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28. Durable and only weighs around 7.5 oz. Eurooptic has a military discount.

Reactions: IrishWind

This. I just put one on an ultralight AR build and I’m very impressed with it so far. Just two trips out and haven’t gotten to test evening light gathering but dawn performance was great. 10x on tap for this weight range is wonderful.

AR-7 22lr = redot

you not shooting groups off a bipod you taking squirrels, birds and tin cans

at 50 yards it groups between 2-3"

thats open sight accuracy not magnified

Well, bear with me on this one.
One of my favorite projects was improving the Henry Rifle for a small profile survival package.
I will mention some of the problems with this platform and show some practical solutions as well.
1. The first problem is that there is only a receiver integrated 3/8" dovetail style "rail" to which a picatinny adapter needs to attached as a requisite to mounting most other practical optic options. The adapter has to be easily removable otherwise the receiver is not readily conditioned to be stored in its butt stock location. Short answer, a red dot optic is the best practical solution.
2. A tool-less solution of tightening said adapter is preferable, otherwise more gear to take along just to mount the optic chosen.
3. The butt stock "cap" is quite easily displaced upon simple impact......there goes all your rifle components in the dark, in the water, wherever; so a simple solution to retain the "cap" is mandatory for packing about on the run.
4. The firearm components when disassembled fit into a floating but not watertight butt stock; the external surface is slippery with no obvious manner to attach a sling or carry the survival tool without encumbering one of your survival hands.

Some optic mounting configurations; some for fun some for real.
I finally settled on the Vortex Sparc.

CIMG9793a copy.jpg
CIMG9797 copy.JPG
CIMG9989a copy.jpg
DSCN0263 copy.JPG
DSCN2376 copy.JPG
CIMG9804a copy.jpg

Last edited:
The butt stock retention solution was employing simple auto body panel polymer push tabs, themselves secured with carbon fiber braided fishing line for a lanyard to keep them from being lost. A simple polymer tool to remove the tabs can be included in your pack attached with the rifle.

CIMG9814a copy.jpg
CIMG9816 copy.JPG
CIMG9820a copy.jpg
DSCN2364 copy.JPG
DSCN2365 copy.JPG

Last edited:
I know it isn't a M1913 Pic rail on top. But isn't it a Weaver rail?

You need a solution to carry the slippery package hands free or you will seriously restrict your effectiveness of movement.

Simply replacing the stock bolt that connects the butt stock to the receiver with a Rogers Sling Adapter increases the utility immediately.
Now one can QD attach the sling +/_ small pack(s) all secured together with the rifle.

I initially packed a Walther P22 w/silencer as the ammo compatibility was handy. That handgun profile sucked up too much real estate
so I switched to a North American Arms .22 LR for the pack.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.56.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.57.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.57.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.57.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.57.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.58.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.58.35 PM.png

It's a small package to begin with but a SBR version is even more fun with a red dot. The teflon coating about the steel .22 barrel liner makes it tough to mount a different front sight, tried a simple hex screw for fun.

Finally, with multiple shots there is a tendency for the barrel to loosen from the receiver which results in immediate degradation of accuracy!
So, a O-ring interface solved that recoil loosening problem. Index the final secure location of barrel-receiver to keep tabs on the situation.
IMG_3055a copy.jpg
IMG_6297 copy.JPG
DSCN1149 copy.JPG
DSCN1151 copy.JPG
DSCN1152 copy.JPG
IMG_6300 copy.JPG

IMG_3055a copy.jpg
IMG_6297 copy.JPG

The O Ring is a reat idea. Thanks for that and the other tips.

It's not a Weaver rail it is a simple dovetail style that you find on many pellet / air soft guns. That's in great part the issue of having a secure adapter for a picatinny mount. I thought about milling off the existing "rail" and installing a permanent picatinny rail.....but then it doesn't fit in the butt stock any more!

AND, order some extra magazines as it only comes with one. You can store the receiver with a magazine in place, then there are two extra mag locations in the butt stock.
IMG_5950.jpg
IMG_5951.jpg
IMG_5952.jpg

DSCN2370a copy 2.jpg