• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Scope Recommendations

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Setting up a rimfire for “long range” (200 yard) shooting. Looking for a cheap scope with 10 or more mag on the upper end. Would like something with turrets and zero stop so I can practice dialing. Pretty limited on price though.

Should be in the $200 range. Just putting something together for fun, not going to compete with it so there’s no sense breaking the bank. Will dope and plink for fun while the barrels are cooling on my centerfire guns, that’s about it.

Looking at the swfa fixed mag scopes, but wondering if there’s something with more features and less bombproof. Don’t need it to be tested for 50bmg recoil!

I would see what you can find in the PX section. So really good deals can be found. I don;t think you find anything in the $200 range with a zero stop. I know it's double your $200 but I icked up a Vortex Venom 5-25X56 34mm tube for $400 shipped here in the PX section.
Good luck!

Reactions: davidsaidwhat
Reliable and under $200….

IMG_6210.png

I’d save up, and look at Arken. I like mine and they seem to punch above their weight.

Athlon Argos. poke around and see what you can score one of those for, great scope. Screw arken, there customer service blows!

Reactions: Woolsocks
Arken is the only Optics Company that was too busy to return a call or talk when you call. No thanks too many other optics companies that want you sell you a scope and back it up.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Took a look around optics planet. Looks like if I go up to $300 there are lots of options with lower-end athelon, vortex and a handful of other chineasium brands. All with turrets and such. Would never put any of them on a serous rifle, but looks like good stuff for a non-competition plinker. Might keep an eye on the PX for a bit to see if any pop up cheap.

I have 2 Muellers on my 457s. They are 8.5-25 x 44, I got them from MidWay a few years ago. Darn nice scopes, granted they are made in chinksville but what isn't.

Everything in that price range is clearly made in chicomunism

Check out Vector Optics. I have one on my CZ457 MTR which I like for the price point. They have a model (Taurus) that meets all of your requirements. Including the price

So you want to look through a potato and have turrets that kinda do something?

Better raise your budget.

You'll have to really raise it if you want to look through glass that isn't cloudy.

So you want to look through a potato and have turrets that kinda do something?

Better raise your budget.

You'll have to really raise it if you want to look through glass that isn't cloudy.
Do you not think the strike eagle at midwayusa for $300 is a good deal? I have never looked through one.

Aside from the PX, check out CameraLand NY, B&H Photo, and others. On the zero stop, is it a make/break feature? That's more for higher priced ones.

If you're looking for say a first focal plane, with a tree reticle, parallax adjustment down to 10/15, if you can up it to say $300, plenty of basic options. Just check out the gear list for NRL22/PRS for production/base class and see the scopes used there.

If your okay with mill and a non tree reticle then the scope from midway is a good deal.

Do you not think the strike eagle at midwayusa for $300 is a good deal? I have never looked through one.

Only vortex I would own is a razor.

I'm one of the lucky ones that got to warranty at least 1 of every single Chinese vortex I bought. So I don't have them anymore.

I'm also not really a fan of their glass and coatings. They have a ton of contrast that makes the image look super sharp. However, it gives me horrible eye fatigue and just doesn't make for a pleasant experience.

I find it odd that if you put this question in rimfire you get weird answers, yet if you posted in optics you'd get guys telling you to quit being poor 🤣

I may not be the best to follow, as I have a $2k scope on my $1500 rimfire. It replaced what I thought was a cheap placeholder that was only $750.

I don't have any rimfires without a ffp mil scope with a tree reticle, other than one dedicated to the 50' indoor range. (And that one still wears a $700 sightron 6-24 for 50').

Last edited:
Only vortex I would own is a razor.

I'm one of the lucky ones that got to warranty at least 1 of every single Chinese vortex I bought. So I don't have them anymore.

I'm also not really a fan of their glass and coatings. They have a ton of contrast that makes the image look super sharp. However, it gives me horrible eye fatigue and just doesn't make for a pleasant experience.

I find it odd that if you put this question in rimfire you get weird answers, yet if you posted in optics you'd get guys telling you to quit being poor 🤣

I may not be the best to follow, as I have a $2k scope on my $1500 rimfire. It replaced what I thought was a cheap placeholder that was only $750.

I don't have any rimfires without a ffp mil scope with a tree reticle, other than one dedicated to the 50' indoor range. (And that one still wears a $700 sightron 6-24 for 50').
You may have missed the part where he has a $200 budget 😳

Yes, which is why my first response is either increase the budget or get used to trying to look through a potato with no features.
To each their own. I have pretty high standards for the weapons I hunt with. Less so for a little Rimfire me n my kids will use to knock over soda cans. Fun to have something that dials so we can maybe hit said can rather far away, but not thousands of dollars fun. Kids drop stuff..

a potato sounds like a pretty good idea. If it doesn’t work as a scope, you can throw it down range and shoot it! Let me know where you get your optical-quality spuds 😁

I found a guy with a used diamondback. Under my max budget, so I have some $ left for ammo now. Good times!

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
Late to the thread, but was going to reply that I have both a Venom and Diamondback. While the Venom is better, for the budget stated, the Diamondback is a really good and less expensive replacement. I find that the DB parallax focus is NOT as marked, but I can adjust to get a clear picture regardless of what the dial says.

Late to the thread, but was going to reply that I have both a Venom and Diamondback. While the Venom is better, for the budget stated, the Diamondback is a really good and less expensive replacement. I find that the DB parallax focus is NOT as marked, but I can adjust to get a clear picture regardless of what the dial says.
If you look at Frank's list of scopes from his classes, you will see one that failed tracking, and it was a Vortex Diamondback. How do I know this:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I took the class and it was mine!

It was VERY early in this journey and I didn't know any better. I stopped at Vortex on the way home from the class, got a new one and sold it as a new scope. Good riddance!!!

I used a Athlon Talos 4-16 on a varmint rifle for years without any problems. I paid $159 back 3-4 years ago so probably can be had for $200 these days.

A year ago I sold it to a friend for $150 and upgraded to a Heras 4-20 for the same rifle it was on. He's still using it on his 22rf. It has 10Y focus so we often shoot that gun on 10M Olympic airgun targets offhand.
The Talos is unique because it's SFP, mils correct on 10x, and capped 5 mil turrets with .1 clicks. I got it to see the reticle on 4x for small game and yotes. 10x is good for holds and having a wide FOV, 16x for dialing at max magnification. Only 19oz.

Last edited:
If you look at Frank's list of scopes from his classes, you will see one that failed tracking, and it was a Vortex Diamondback. How do I know this:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I took the class and it was mine!

It was VERY early in this journey and I didn't know any better. I stopped at Vortex on the way home from the class, got a new one and sold it as a new scope. Good riddance!!!
It is obviously a cheaper scope, and the one I have is on a Savage I use as a play around gun. For a budget of $200, it's not a bad choice.

Check out Armstrong Precision Rimfire on Amazon. Looks like it will check most of the boxes for you. They are second focal plane but do have a mil dot reticle and mil turrets. 4-16x44, parallax down to 15yards and within your budget.
$159 on the ol Amazon. Looks like a decent option for a VERY budget option

It is obviously a cheaper scope, and the one I have is on a Savage I use as a play around gun. For a budget of $200, it's not a bad choice.
Maybe I wasn't clear...it was a Diamondback tactical. Right now, Amazon or Cabelas, $400-$450:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Check out Armstrong Precision Rimfire on Amazon. Looks like it will check most of the boxes for you. They are second focal plane but do have a mil dot reticle and mil turrets. 4-16x44, parallax down to 15yards and within your budget.
$159 on the ol Amazon. Looks like a decent option for a VERY budget option
I was going to recommend the same one. I saw a recommendation on YouTube and thought I'd try it on my RAR. I sighted it in earlier this week and for the price, it's not a bad scope. The included rings and caps only up the value.

Reactions: SpoolinX