• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Squirrel Hunting Journal

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Kansas and Missouri squirrel hunting season opens in the Next few days. Due to the interest, I see in other post I am starting this thread. ( I hope the rimfire section is the proper place for it. )

I'll be posting up my ammo, gear, preparation sighting, and hunts.

I am planning on starting the season with iron sighted rifles. Win 52 and or Win 63.

Last edited:
    This is my Win Mod 63 with iron sights I’m planning on starting the season with. I like the tang sight unless it’s really overcast. It folds down and I can use the flip up open sight early and on dark days.

I shoot Eley HV HP ammo. The Model 63’s do not function with standard velocity ammo. Eley shoots best of all HV I have tried so far. As the targets show I’m yet to get it perfectly zeroed. Soon to be corrected. Dots are 1/2” and 1”. Groups are average of what I get so far. Accuracy is clearly not up to the Model 52’s but once centered quite good enough for 40 yard headshots. About all I need in the summer.

The 63 carries about like a walking stick. Holds 12 rounds in case I need to stop a coyote or group of coons. Just a dandy rifle. I prefer the 23” barreled ones to the earlier 20” models due to balance and sight radius.
    5B397533-69B9-421C-B9E5-40E32AFBD967.jpeg
    D885072F-7A93-4F07-A8F1-24BC035C00D2.jpeg

Kansas and Missouri squirrel hunting season opens in the Next few days. Due to the interest, I see in other post I am starting this thread. ( I hope the rimfire section is the proper place for it. )

I'll be posting up my ammo, gear, preparation sighting, and hunts.

I am planning on starting the season with iron sighted rifles. Win 52 and or Win 63.
    I think it’s an excellent idea 👍

Reactions: nikonNUT
    All this talk of squirrel hunting reminded me that our spring season opened about a week ago and this weekend is not sweltering hot. Plus, I just completed a new sqwack sniping weapon. It is a Bergara BMR carbon bbl topped with a Mueller 8-32x. Plus my new Dead Air Mask can was sprung from ATF jail this week, so I screwed it onto the BMR. Whisper quiet. Practice shots into the creek bank 60y away was interesting. The only sound is the snap of the action and the thump of the bullet hitting in the mud. Am looking forward to this. One of my other squirrel sniper tools is an 80yr old Win model 69A topped with a 4x Unertl. That is really a better squirrel rifle than the Bergara but it lacks the threaded muzzle for the new toy. Maybe I should have it threaded? It would be a cool mix of new and old. I use the Eley HV HP ammo too. It is the best hunting ammo I can find. Or I just use Lapua CX cause that is what I shoot at the range.

8-32x can be tough in the woods. Better some days than others. Otherwise a great sounding setup.

All this talk of squirrel hunting reminded me that our spring season opened about a week ago and this weekend is not sweltering hot. Plus, I just completed a new sqwack sniping weapon. It is a Bergara BMR carbon bbl topped with a Mueller 8-32x. Plus my new Dead Air Mask can was sprung from ATF jail this week, so I screwed it onto the BMR. Whisper quiet. Practice shots into the creek bank 60y away was interesting. The only sound is the snap of the action and the thump of the bullet hitting in the mud. Am looking forward to this. One of my other squirrel sniper tools is an 80yr old Win model 69A topped with a 4x Unertl. That is really a better squirrel rifle than the Bergara but it lacks the threaded muzzle for the new toy. Maybe I should have it threaded? It would be a cool mix of new and old. I use the Eley HV HP ammo too. It is the best hunting ammo I can find. Or I just use Lapua CX cause that is what I shoot at the range.
    Isn’t the mask just crazy quiet? I run mine on a 24” barreled CZ457 and shoot CCI SV or SK standard + which seems to have a bit less crack. Weather plays a role of course and as it nudges into the 100s here in AR I may have to change to CCI quiet to keep the neighbors happy. Haven’t met a squeaker that didn’t hit the dirt with any of those choices so I save the HPs for the mosquitos! 🤣

8-32x can be tough in the woods. Better some days than others. Otherwise a great sounding setup.
    Yes, 8-32x is way too much scope for tree rats, but it was what was on the BMR this morning. My normal hunting rifles have 3-12x or 3-16x optics or the 4x fixed power. The Mask is crazy quiet. I switched to the Eley subsonic HP’s this morning and the loudest sound is the thwack of the bullets hitting the tree trunks. When I got back to the truck, I tried some CCI quiet ammo. Those were amazing.

Our season starts sept 15 and ends Dec 31. I use to do a little squirrel hunting growing up and fell out of it but the past few years we’ve had a friendly competition between 30-40 guys that’s really brought it back to life for us!

This season I used mainly 2 guns. My cil 310 and my vudoo v22. Made for a great combo this season

Do y’all need to borrow some tree rats? 🤣 They are so thick here our season goes from May 15th to February 28th. And if they are causing damage (like eating the siding on my house!!!) it’s kill ‘em when you see ‘em with the blessings of Game and Fish.

Last edited:
    To follow up on the squirrel hunting log, I went out Saturday morning and sat on a big rock in a spot known to hold squirrels. I saw nothing. Got bored, so I played with a little call that I had and nothing. I got my phone out and texted a sick friend to check on him, then texted another who was setting up a PRS match at one of the local clubs. I was not competing this month as I got exposed to COVID - again and was supposed to be quarantined and avoiding contact with people. Thus, I was in the woods instead. I told my friend that I had not seen a thing and was going to pack it in. As I stood, I saw a branch on an oak about 40y away bounce and sway. The conditions were nigh on perfect. Cool, overcast, it had rained the night prior and when the squirrels moved it caused drops of water to fall.

I hunt with my ears first and my eyes second and I could hear the forest come alive with movement. I spotted the first moving through that oak but the only time he stopped all I could see in the scope was the tip of his tail, lol. Then two more went rat racing around and around a tree trunk to my right. I turned but the were too quick and disappeared. Then a 4th jumped from one hickory to another behind me and I turned once more just in time to see it vanish behind the tree trunk. As I was glassing that one a 5th tree rat came in riding the tree tops to join the party from the south. Two more for a total of seven joined shortly thereafter. The forest is lush and thick this time of year. We have had excess rain and it has caused a rapid growth cycle of the trees. Spotting a squirrel is hard. Spotting one stationary is even harder. I was spinning in circles trying to catch one in my sights. I climbed up on my rock for a better view but no joy. My shooting stick is too long, so I adjusted it downward only to spot another squirrel in the top of one of the nearest trees and so I adjusted it to its max height. Then one off to my West was spotted on a large tree trunk down low and not moving.

Hot damn, I thought as I slid my off hand down the shaft of the shooting stick. Found my squack, still frozen in my scope. It was a longish shot and I was less than steady. I moved my right foot back a few inches to get a more stable stance and Oops, my foot slipped off the edge of the large boulder I was standing on and I nearly fell on my ass. Caught my balance and steadied myself once more, taking careful aim at the fat Grey in my sights. Slowly squeeze the trigger, waiting for the surprise break, then "RING, RING, RING", my cell phone rang. WTF?? trigger breaks, the Mask let only a "Poof" of a sound out of the muzzle of the Bergara, and the squirrel also heard my phone ring and jumped up the tree trunk as the 40g slug hits the tree where the squirrel had just been a moment before with a disappointing thud. !@#$%, lol. That is why they call it hunting and not shooting/killing. Last year's ARA National Champion was on the line asking about our sick friend. I sat down on the rock and we had a nice long talk about several subjects and about 30 min later, I hung up and all the squirrels were long gone. Oh well, I never care if I kill one anyway. I just like to hunt them. Plus, it gives me a great excuse to to buy more rifles. Below is pick of the little Bergara, BMR with the Dead Air Mask attached, taken from the boulder in the story. Enjoy.

Irish

Attachments

• BMR Mask.jpeg
      BMR Mask.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 104
    ^ great write up, I think every hunter has had a few of those moments.
    Here is the set up I use when I hunt squirrels (or almost anything else)
    I find my trekking poles make great shooting sticks when I get to my spot

Attachments

• 1062E1EE-1B86-4C37-9249-CB6521D9411E.jpeg
      1062E1EE-1B86-4C37-9249-CB6521D9411E.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 106
    My favortie hunting spot is the glider rocker on the front porch. See a squirrel (or racoon or wood chuck). Cool! Shoot a squirrel. Neat! Do nothing? I'm down with that too. Ever since I discovered squirrels I have spent more time outside and I think it has been good for me whether I bag one or not. When I go to my other place I can't even get a cell phone signal. I love it! My go to rifle is a CZ 457 Varmit but I just got the Tac Sol back packer I ordered a year ago. Little dude is stupid light and should be perfect for treking way off the beaten path. My other place backs up to about 1.8M acres of national forrest.

I am changing my rig from a Browning Target/Varmint with Leupold EFR to a Ruger 10/22 Custom Shop with Athlon 4-20 and a Ruger Suppressor.
    The T-Bolt is very fast, but the 10/22 will be faster and with the Suppressor, The shots with no movement on my part, should not alert the squirrels.
    -Richard

I went back the next day to the same place. Left the cell phone at home. Took a Winchester model 69A topped with a 4x Unertl. The rifle is more than 80yrs old but is a real hunters rifle. Light, handy and accurate. I spent weeks prepping it to be an ARA factory rifle. Trigger job, bedded action floated bbl. Sadly, it lacked to precision to be a match winner, so I swapped the tgt scope for the little Unertl and repurposed it. One this day in spite of coming prepare to actually shoot a few, I did not see or hear a single one.

I went back the next day to the same place. Left the cell phone at home. Took a Winchester model 69A topped with a 4x Unertl. The rifle is more than 80yrs old but is a real hunters rifle. Light, handy and accurate. I spent weeks prepping it to be an ARA factory rifle. Trigger job, bedded action floated bbl. Sadly, it lacked to precision to be a match winner, so I swapped the tgt scope for the little Unertl and repurposed it. One this day in spite of coming prepare to actually shoot a few, I did not see or hear a single one.
    That’s the spirit! Now you’re feeling the vibe of my whole squirrel experience! 🐿

• Haha
    Reactions: 264win
    It’s still raining inches every other day here so not hunting yet. My spring gear is gathered, dialed in and sorted so I’ll post this photo.
    Not a lot required. A few calls. Squirrel, crow and varmint. I try to keep them handy for quick access. Very seldom use the squirrel call. Rifle log book, small light, knife, ammo HV HP.
    A couple of old brass laundry bag pins to carry squirrels. Rifle, padded seat and chest pack.
    Other than face mast gloves and jacket that is all.
    09E12FBB-1AEF-48EB-B516-AD3438015216.jpeg

Glad to see I’m not the only one that camo’s up to hunt squirrels! I might be imagining things but I swear the little buggers spot bare skin and get scarce quick like! Squirrel call? I’ve found it only good to stop a fast moving tree rat. Quick bark and they freeze! Oddly, blowing them kisses has the same effect with less gear. 😊

Reactions: RTH1800
    Sometimes you can call one out of a hole.
    I've never been able to do that but I think they're on to me! :LOL: Hell, I'm pretty sure they can recognize the profile of my rifle!

I have also called out other critters with the squirrel call. Coons, possums come to mind.

I have also called out other critters with the squirrel call. Coons, possums come to mind.
    Have you ever managed to call in a crow and bag it with a rifle? Or shotgun, for that matter.

Twice I have tried with a blind, electronic calls, and decoys all at the same time and blast it, nothing. The only time a crow came in is to check out the person who went out to the field to adjust a fallen decoy!

Smart, they are!

I've managed to bag three crows with the CZ thru sheer luck. They either weren't looking at me or I was perfectly positioned to break the shot as soon as they touched down on a branch! Most times I'm spotted and they veer off cussing me the whole time! :LOL:

P.S. Racoons with a squirrel call? I need to work on my calling game. The trash pandas gotta go!

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    Have you ever managed to call in a crow and bag it with a rifle? Or shotgun, for that matter.

Twice I have tried with a blind, electronic calls, and decoys all at the same time and blast it, nothing. The only time a crow came in is to check out the person who went out to the field to adjust a fallen decoy!

Smart, they are!
    I have called in and shot hundreds of crows with .22RF, shotguns and pistols. Ours must not be as smart. If you get one wounded the others swarm and you cannot run them off.

I’ve even joined crowbusters.com to read the advanced tips & tricks…I need more practice before I admit to being an abject failure 😞 haha!

I have called in and shot hundreds of crows with .22RF, shotguns and pistols. Ours must not be as smart. If you get one wounded the others swarm and you cannot run them off.
    Kill one, leave it lay, and play a crow call with a blue tooth speaker. They will swarm in droves!!!

If I can’t get a crow or squirrel soon, I might have to move up to a 40mm grenade launcher. If that doesn’t work…A10 warthog GAU-8…no dice then napalm? Don’t want to contemplate the next step if napalm is a failure 🤯 lol

• Haha
    Details of Lyman tang sight on Winchester Mod 63. The pre war rifles were factory drilled for them.
    FF409648-99EA-4ED1-8195-EA464E7880AE.jpeg

Reactions: deltawiskey
    Dialed the 63 in this evening. This was a bottom of dot hold at 50 yards. Squirrel’s eye high. Caught a calm evening after a week of waiting.
    2B733D5A-C922-4438-911E-E85E29CE79A6.jpeg
    2B733D5A-C922-4438-911E-E85E29CE79A6.jpeg

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
    Tonight as well. 25 yards center hold on 1/2” dot.
    These random acts of accuracy or wallet groups will get a lot of game killed 😁 @justin amateur told me it was GTG.
    F1BF98ED-0754-44DC-841A-6005547D1EA2.jpeg
    F1BF98ED-0754-44DC-841A-6005547D1EA2.jpeg
    told me.

Last edited: