• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rimfire Tactical at WGC

HumpHammrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Boone,North Carolina, US of A
Our final match for 2010 was held on August 14. As is usual for the NC Mountains, weather was a mixture of threats and turned out to be a humid and hot day. As it was, I’m sure the weather was better up here than it was elsewhere in the state (especially in the flat lands). Also as is characteristic of NC Mountain weather, wind was to play an important role in today’s match.
With our Rimfire Tactical Matches, our format has been to fire a set of “Standards” in every match followed by several alternative stages at the end. Our Standards have been:
50 Yards
Stage 1 – Cold Bore
Stage 2 – 5 Dots in 60 Sec x 2 strings
Stage 3 – Know Your Limits
Stage 4 – Group
75 Yards
Stage 5 – 5 Dots in 60 Sec x 2 strings
100 Yards
Stage 6 – 4 Dots in 60 Sec x 2 strings
Today’s match also had:
Stage 7 – 50 yards / 2 shots kneeling, 2 shots standing strong side and 2 shots standing support side.
Stage 8 – 200 yards / Unlimited sighters with spotter assistance followed by 5 shots for record on the Rimfire Tactical Unknown Distance Target.

Our order of finish was:
(Name, Rifle & Model, Score & Group)
Brian Witherspoon Remington 504 475 .151
Jamie Anderson CZ 452 445 .669
Bryan Johnson Savage TR 435 .520
Sam Poplin Ruger 10/22 425 .416
Gregg Johnson CZ 452 425 .620
Kevin Hartley CZ 452 420 .720
Bradley Johnson Ruger 10/22 420 .841
Larry Anderson CZ 452 420 1.125
Tim Honeycutt Savage Mk II 405 .564
Bill Conrad Savage FV II 395 .843
Jody Beach CZ 452 380 .446
Brandon Rogers Savage TR 290 .818
Bryan Wood Biathlon 7-2 290 .989
Andrew Boehm Savage 93 Mk II 100 1.308
Bryan Johnson* Savage TR 465 1.019
(* Bryan fired a re-shoot to test different ammo)

Being in the position of RO and my habit (sometimes annoying) of observation of details, I feel I can safely share two conclusions.
1. Even with the shooters who observed wind conditions during sight-in, it was my observation that they were forgetful of the condition when the stage commands were given. Maybe it was “Match Nerves”?
2. Proper Position – With the Rimfire System I believe it is extremely important to perfect a prone position and then go through a position setup for every stage and every string.
The other factors (ammo selection, practice, gear selection) are also important but paying attention to the present is important when the round is going down the tube.

To our competitors I want to say Thank You for your sportsmanship, friendship and support. I look forward to seeing you back on the range for the 2011 season. We will shoot a May 2011 match to use the wind as a learning tool for the calmer winds of the summer!

Re: Rimfire Tactical at WGC

Hammrr
We enjoyed the matches this year , Great bunch of shooters. had a lot of fun,looking forward to next year. LARRY.