• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire trainer: CZ/Bergara or step up to MPA?

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I'm looking for a rimfire trainer and have been leaning towards the CZ457 MTR or Bergara B-14R. However I see MPA offers a complete rifle with the 22BA on the 457 action.

I'm paying roughly double for the MPA vs the others and am wondering if that's just for the chassis, or if I will see some accuracy benefits as well? Anyone have experience with these?

I just received my B-14R and put it in a MPA chassis. Very happy with the results, I'm shooting 100 meters at the range and started with two series 98 points. I used SK longe Range Match as amo.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.13.49.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.13.49.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.14.04.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.14.04.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Rokfor2K
I would go with the Bergara simply because they have a decent reputation and the R700 foot print. If you put it into a top quality chassis, such as the MPA mentioned, you will already be in position to easily transition to a Vudoo.
You may not be aware that you're going to buy a Vudoo but if you stay in the rimfire groove, either by competing or just serious target shooting, it's coming.
Ask me how I know, I love CZ's btw, have several, but the Vudoo it's another level.

Based on my experience with a 457 varmint and a b14r, I'd take the b14r all day long.
Not only because mine has been more accurate, but because I prefer the rem700 platform- big mags make loading 100x easier for me. (Big hands)

Having said that, you can do a bunch of things to make the 457 incrementally "better" by the time you do that, you're in vudoo territory money wise and probably 10-15% short on accuracy.

Reactions: rookie7
I just received my B-14R and put it in a MPA chassis. Very happy with the results, I'm shooting 100 meters at the range and started with two series 98 points. I used SK longe Range Match as amo.
How is your feeding with the MPA chassis?

Any modifications to mags?

The last 3 rounds in mag never feed for me. They don’t seem to present high enough and jam into back of barrel just below chamber. I do have the MPA adjustable Mag catch already.

I regret selling my Bergara stock.

Reactions: Schütze
I’ll chime in to agree with what’s been said. I have a CZ and have lusted after chassis for it, but I don’t want to drop that kinda money on something I can only use on one rifle. I’m gonna step up to the Vudoo and grab a chassis that’ll work on my CF rifle as well.

Reactions: Thorbeast and Sc0-
Holy shit I just now realized this is my own thread from a year ago.

I went the Bergara route and have been fairly happy with it. Loved it in the Bergara chassis but I sold it for the MPA comp chassis to match my centerfires. Has been finicky ever since.

Even though this thread came full circle I’ll chime in to possibly help someone getting into the game.

For sitting at the bench or casual practice at a range any and all will do: CZ, Begara, and Tikka.

For PRS22 and NRL22 ? Vudoo, RimX, Bergara, or Tikka.

I would never pick the CZ again for comps.

Accurate? Yes. Reliable function? Yes. Decent trigger? Yes.

Easy to load mags into magwell? Absolutely not in comps. This alone puts it dead last. The Tikka has an infinitely better mag profile and is exponentially easier to load the weapon.

I will say the mags do feed even when jamed into a bag or even resting on a bag. Mag change on the clock? CZ sucks.

My daughter now runs the CZ and I have a b14r.

Any modifications to mags?

The last 3 rounds in mag never feed for me. They don’t seem to present high enough and jam into back of barrel just below chamber. I do have the MPA adjustable Mag catch already.

I regret selling my Bergara stock.

No mods in my rig.

Check your feed lips. I have had a couple customers whose feed lips chipped, allowing for failures. Bergara replaced them, of course. But, may be something to check.

Even though this thread came full circle I’ll chime in to possibly help someone getting into the game.

For sitting at the bench or casual practice at a range any and all will do: CZ, Begara, and Tikka.

For PRS22 and NRL22 ? Vudoo, RimX, Bergara, or Tikka.

I would never pick the CZ again for comps.

Accurate? Yes. Reliable function? Yes. Decent trigger? Yes.

Easy to load mags into magwell? Absolutely not in comps. This alone puts it dead last. The Tikka has an infinitely better mag profile and is exponentially easier to load the weapon.

I will say the mags do feed even when jamed into a bag or even resting on a bag. Mag change on the clock? CZ sucks.

My daughter now runs the CZ and I have a b14r.
It still won’t beat the yuge mags that the pricier actions get you, but beveling the edges of the bottom of the mag well helps a ton on the CZ. Someone could probably even come up with a flared mag well that you could drop in, I think I saw somebody had fiddled with it once upon a time.

Reactions: rookie7
You may not be aware that you're going to buy a Vudoo but if you stay in the rimfire groove, either by competing or just serious target shooting, it's coming.
Ask me how I know, I love CZ's btw, have several, but the Vudoo it's another level.
I just attended a shooting class last weekend. I shot my CZ first 5 rounds then was handed a Vudoo to finish out the course. Now shopping for a Vudoo.

B14r for sure. Just got mine and been popping crows out to 160 yards so far, with cci standard velocity. Havent gotten a further shot on them yet. And this is the funnest ive had in a long time. Just recieved about 3k of the cci 400’s and 8 pounds of h4350. But not even thinking about shooting my centerfires with as much fun as i am having with this little thing.

Attachments

• FE8A1554-AD32-4CB6-88E5-75EF9784F554.jpeg
    FE8A1554-AD32-4CB6-88E5-75EF9784F554.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 76
B14r for sure. Just got mine and been popping crows out to 160 yards so far, with cci standard velocity. Havent gotten a further shot on them yet. And this is the funnest ive had in a long time. Just recieved about 3k of the cci 400’s and 8 pounds of h4350. But not even thinking about shooting my centerfires with as much fun as i am having with this little thing.

You had me at "3K of CCI 400's....." lol

I would go with the Bergara simply because they have a decent reputation and the R700 foot print. If you put it into a top quality chassis, such as the MPA mentioned, you will already be in position to easily transition to a Vudoo.
That was my philosophy for buying a Bergara barreled-action and spec'ing it out with high-level parts. If I wind up stepping up to Vudoo or RimX, I can can just swap the parts over and either sell the Bergara or spec it out with cast-off 700 parts for a beater .22.

Reactions: ZG47A
I’ll chime in to agree with what’s been said. I have a CZ and have lusted after chassis for it, but I don’t want to drop that kinda money on something I can only use on one rifle. I’m gonna step up to the Vudoo and grab a chassis that’ll work on my CF rifle as well.
Look at the KRG stocks. Love mine on my CF rifle.

If your buying a 22 for a trainer you want the rifle to have same chassis,scope and trigger has your match rifle.
Plus same degree bolt throw.