• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Trainer suggestions $500 budget

AndoOKC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City,OK/Temple, TX
Im looking to build or buy a rimfire trainer that will let me shoot out to 100 yds accurately and consistently for $500. Im hoping that the $500 will allow me to have a decent scope and a bipod.

Ive been looking at the Savage MKII-FV. I defeinetly want something with a heavy barrel and will offer me all the advantages of a trainer. Im looking to learn how to shoot in wind without burning a hole in wallet. Will a 22lr or 17HMR be good for this?

Thanks!

Re: Rimfire Trainer suggestions $500 budget

CZ 452 or Savage MKII will do the job plenty fine. So it will 22LR as far as training you to shoot better.
Get a cheap scope, and any of the two rifle above, and you'll fit your budget.

I'm thinking CZ452 American. Leup glass.

15prfqs.jpg

VERY accurate. Tho I think the gun / scope was about $700 total.

You have the answer already the Savage MKII is accurate out of the box plus saves you money to buy your scope. I would consider 22lr only since the 17hmr will cost you more money to shoot since this is a concern for you.

thanks for the recommendations...

I was looking up prices on ammo and came up with this conclusion so correct me if Im wrong.

17 HMR is relatively expensive when compared to run of the mill 22LR ammo.

However, 17HMR is about the same price as the top brand match grade 22LR ammo (Eley, Lapua, etc.)

So unless ur gun can shoot cheap 22LR as well as match grade 22LR there may be no cost difference between 17 HMR and 22LR if all you can shoot is match grade to get the most accuracy and precision from your rifle.

If you are just wanting to use this rifle as a trainer out to 100 yards there are plenty of .22LR subsonic rounds on the market at very reasonable prices that will give very good accuracy as long as the shooter does his/her part.

With the .22LR you can pick and choose your ammo expense, but you'll have to see what brand works best in your rifle for what you are trying to achieve.

With the .17HMR there aren't many choices of ammo pricing, they're expensive across the board.

If you want HMR type ballistics, go for the hm2 80% of the HMR for 40% of the money.

A CZ, even if used, or a Savage MKII with Accutrigger; in .22LR, definitely. Bushnell 3200/4200, Nikon, Weaver, or Leupold scopes, and keep parallax in mind when shopping for a .22 scope.

As far as ammo cost. The HMR is around 13 dollars a box correct? Wolf 22 lr ammo, which alot of people use due to accuracy, is only 5 dollars a box... yes there is more expensive lr ammo, but its not needed for simply learning to read wind.

THe CZ 452 Varmit model is awesome, tight 14 to .5 inch holes at 50 yards and 1 inch to 1.5 at 100y, this is even with the bulk type ammo, smaller groups with Federal Match but shoots so well to practice with I do not need to always shoot the more expensive match ammo, I would but this rifle again and again, has nice free float stock after some minor tunning, trigger is adjustable and I set mine at a very crisp 2 lbs, have 5.5-20x Nikon with fine reticle that allows very precise aiming at 50 yds, bought mine for $330.00 in Utah with black synthetic stock that works well, I installed a bolt knob extension to adi ease to cycle it,

I have a Marlin 980v that works great. It's a 22lr version of the 917. Dropped a RB trigger in it and it's a good shooter. They are hard to find, not in production anymore.

My trainer is very Plain Jane. It's a Savage MKII. This is about as close (actually better with the Accue-Trigger) as Savage builds now to what I have, which is at least a decade old. Definitely get the .22LR.

Tasco or Weaver 1" diameter .22 rings, an $80 Tasco VAR624X42M MilDot Target/Varmint scope, and you're in the house for $350 or less.

Put the leftover money into ammo. I find it very hard to fault CCI Standard Velocity Target in the Blue Box; I can't see any difference between how it shoots and how FGMM does. I get mine at around $22 a brick.

Greg

I have a marlin 880sq($175) wearing a wotac 10x($180) in $15 rings. It shoots most ammo well. Cci blue box standard($25/brick) to fgmm($9/box)not much if any differance. Plus can get a stock if wanted & mags are easy to find. Bipod was only $25 used at local shop 9-13"

+1 CZ Varmit, its cheap, its accurate, and you can upgrade its parts down the road cheaply and easily if you want to play with it.

stick with the .22, better ammo selection all around. i would get the cz however it would put you over budget. to keep it under or around your price take the savage, you'll have $ left for glass (depending on what you get), ammo, maybe an moa base, bipod, and a few more creature comforts.

comparing the .22 to the .17 is practically apples and oranges. almost like a .223 is compared to a 25-06. yeah the match .22 stuff does gets pricey, but that doesn't mean you have to shoot the match stuff ALL the time. if you look around you can get a deal on wolf match lor match extra, sk standard plus or match, even aguila match and federal work well in a mkii, and isn't too expensive compared to the lapuas and eleys. with the .17, you are pretty much stuck with the hole in your wallet growing.

plus if you decide to do rimfire matches, most of them are geared up for the .22lr.

i bought my heavy barreled mkii laminated stock the year b4 they put the accutrigger in it for around $200, put a rifle basx trigger in it for $80, simmons glass (turrets, mildot 6-24x SF) $140.00, 20 moa base $45, harris knockoff $50, bolt knob $60, a shooting level for $20, and an adjustable cheekpiece for $25.00. = $620 - over your budget but has all the bells and whistles on it.

although a little more accurate, a cz would cost that much just rifle and glass.

the marlins would even be less than the savage, however i believe the savage edges it out in accuraccy and options availability.

I have a Savage Mark II BV and a WOTAC scope and I think it's a little over $500, maybe $600, I don't remember all the prices. It's a tack driver, shoots really well, and it loves SK Standard Plus, Match, and Wolf just the same, and those are $5-$7/box.

I had a Savage 93R17-BTV that I loved, but once I got the .22lr I never shot it anymore since the .22 was so much cheaper to shoot, and just as accurate. Get a .22, cheaper to shoot, and more versatility than a 17hmr. You can get super quiet CB rounds for shooting in the backyard without making much noise, or you can get the hypervelocity rounds, and just about anything in between. The added bullet weight of the .22lr over the 17 rounds is a blessing as well when it comes to penetration without destroying all surrounding tissues like the 17.

My recommendation is the .22 for sure, what brand is up to you, Savage's are great for the money, I would have bought the CZ if I had more money available.

Branden

I also recommend the Savage MK2. Mine has the Tasco 6-24 on top, and the Harris bipod supporting it. I get five shot groups between .375-.5 inch at 50 yards, about one inch at 100 yards, and 3 to 3.5 inches at 211 yards. I use the Wolf Match Target, and don't see much use in spending more at this time.

+1 to a used CZ 452. Get an American or a varmint though if you are wanting to run optics - the stock designs of the others suck.

I would also say the Savage isn't bad, but those stocks are too garbage IMO.

My suggestion would be the Savage, but get the BV (wood stock) accu-trigger is good to go, but if you want a rifle basix you can do that later. EGW base, your favorite affordable rings, and there are a number of adequate choices in bargin glass.
.22 LR for sure. .17 HMR maybe. .17 HM2 hell-no.

I got the Remington Model Five. I had the same reasons/goals that you mention, and about the same budget. I am set up and getting some practice in under your stated budget, and tried my first Sniper's Hide Monthly Match. My set-up will not likely win any of these matches, but I am learning the wind, and improving technique and skills. My set-up won't obliterate the X-ring, but it will break a 4 inch clay every time at 100. (When I do my part).

I really like the CZ, but I'm into my whole set-up plus some ammo for what a CZ costs. My point is really Pareto's principal of imbalance, or the 80-20 rule. Look at the November scores to illustrate; a Remington, Mossberg, Marlin will be enough to get you shooting, and most likely in the black rings. The Savage and CZ will get you into the high 290's; but to clean the target, and go for x-count you will need a custom 40X, Anschutz, or extra custom work on something worth doing it on.

Based on the scores: Most bang for the buck is Savage.

CZ452 Varment, I have 3 of them. A 22LR, 17HMR, and 22WRM. I also have a 1502 Classic Beavertail in 17M2.
I have Super Snipers on most of them.
The 22lr is a must have item. I shoot it in Sporter Class Bench Rest as well as Rimfire Sniper in 22LR Division.
The 17HMR I was going to skip and get a 22WRM, however I came across one a buddy had with great looking wood and bought it. I figured I would swap stocks with the 22WRM when I got it. Guess what happened, my new 22WRM had every bit as nice of wood. So I now have a 17HMR and a 22WRM.

TRAINER:
I wanted a 22WRM for HiPower Rimfire Division in our Club's Rimfire Sniper Match. The plan is to shoot the V-Max bullets in it.
In our rimfire sniper matches, which we shoot out to 150 yards a 22LR does not have a chance against a 17M2, which does not have a chance against a 17HMR. I have not gotten the 22WRM up and running yet, so I am not sure what it will do just yet. As we do not pick and choose when we shoot the sniper match, my reasoning is that the heavier V-Max should do better in wind than a 17HMR.
For just a practice tactical rifle the 452 CZ 22LR would be hard to beat for the above mentioned reasons, mainly Wolf MT is $5.00 a box.
If one had a bigger budget the ultimate rimfire practice rifle would be a 40X in an H&S Precision stock.

just my 2 cents

The CMP just had some Remmy 40X's come available. I think that they only have heavy barrels left. I think the HB's were going for $600. I know it's more than your budget but is a great way to go especially if your shooting a 700.

Thanx for the great info

Don't expect stellar results with cheap .22 ammo if you are talking about 100 yards. Match ammo is a must. Test Eley, RWS, Wolf, Lapua, Remington Target, and CCI Green Tag. Your rifle will decide. Mine is Savage MKII with a Burris Timberline scope. All around $500. Excellent accutrigger.

CMP still listing the Kimbers

Savage MKII FV - $210
Vortex Crossfire SWFA exclusive scope - $100
Weaver tactical 6 bolt rings - $25
Base around $40 you have a couple good options
Boyds Tacticool - $100 or if you want to splurge a little get a Wallis Forge. Heard good things about them. I am waiting on one now!
That's 475 before tax or shipping charges so its is very close to your budget.

Had the same dilemma about a year and a half ago. I ended up with a CZ 453 varmint. I love this rifle! I do not use the set trigger enough to justify it so I would say go with the CZ 452 varmint. I had a small budget as well, I got the rifle and put a cheep 22MAG scope I already had and put it on. then I saved for a nicer scope. I have never regretted it.

I shoot sub sonic ammo out to 200 yards with it. When I am doing my part the rifle can hit a golf ball at 100 and a soda can at 200.

Whatever you decide don't look back and wish you had saved a 100 or 150 more for a different rifle, because if your like me, you will end up spending just that much more to get what you wonted in the first place!
032.jpg

I am asuming th OP has purchased a rifle by now, however for anyoneelse looking to do the same I just set up a new Savage MK II TR for 100-200 yard practice.

$399 rifle at Sportman Warehouse
$149 BSA 6-24 @ MidwayUSA
$39 weaver tactical 6 screw mountsMidway USA
$27 notch Harris style bipod http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2015714#Post2015714

Total of $604 This shoots as well as my high dollar 10/22 with no additional work needed. Have shot my best scores at 25, 50 and 100 yards with this set up.

It shoots well at 100 but runs out of adjustment soon afterwards so will need 20 MOA base to get scope zerored at 200. I can hit the target with Kentuky windage but its hard to call it a group.....more like a large random pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Kabong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.17 HM2 hell-no.</div></div>

Would be interested in knowing why you say this.

I have had both the Savage MKII FV and now the MKII BV and I would definitely lean toward the BV. The stock on the FV is pretty light duty and the comb is way too low for use with a scope with any normal size objective lens. I have a Sweet 22 on mine now and I like it.