• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RimX Carbon Fiber Proof 18" --> what ammo to start with?

sissupr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
Las Vegas
Let me start with that I placed my order with Altus and their customer service is top-notch. Definitely getting my biz in the future...

Just took delivery from Altus with my 18" Proof CF Sendero barrel for my RimX build. I have a good amount of SK match and standard ammo, but was just curious what people have been shooting and have had success with (whatever that means!)...

*I did search and I didn't find anything. Only disclaimer is I suck at searching 😂

Just shot mine today. Most of the ammo I had, shot meh at best. My cz455 probably could have done better or just as good with the same ammo. It really liked the polar biathlon. By far the best shooting ammo so far for my RimX.
I tried sk standard plus, wolf match extra, pistol king, and sk flatnose target.

Reactions: sissupr
I run CCI sv with a certain lot number I found to be good. Also try rws ammo. My stainless proof barrel seems to like the most ammo a bit better than my 18 proof carbon barrel.

Mine runs Lapua center x, SK match and Ely match result well. CCI SV shoots good but the other 3 are very tight groups

Just an FYI, I called Proof yesterday and they said Lapua Center-X and CCI Standard Velocity round nose are good places to start. Seems like two different ends of the spectrum... I'm glad I have a ton of SK standard plus and match on-hand 😂.

I'm going to try out Center-X, CCI SV, SK standard plus and SK match & report back. Almost got everything... minus my optic.

9F00295A-9F4C-4AB3-A6AC-F17FFF43C34F.jpeg

Last edited:
You’ll be good. I took mine to 400 with Cci standard and went 10/10 multiple times on an ipsc

That's awesome! Center-X is 3x the cost, so having another option that shoots that well for cheap is awesome. Hopefully my setup likes it!

It's all lot number ,I think. I have your exact setup- got it a couple weeks ago. I had some center x and SK Long Range on hand. Both were ok, but not great. I didn't really measure , just picked the better of the two for a match. I sent the rifle to the Lapua test center and got the results yesterday. They (Devan- great guy!) started with 20 lots at 50 meters. Narrowed that down to about 12 at 100m. Narrowed that down to 2. That's a lot of 10 shot groups. I picked from those two based on standard deviation ( which they measure in distance- which I think would translate to velocity. Ask one of the experts on here for that) . The lot i picked at 50 meters shot 14mm ,23.8mm, 21.6mm, average 20mm (about .75 in. )with no subtracting diameter. At 100m - 25mm, 37mm and 48mm- about 37mm average (1.5in or so) . Some of the other lots tested couldn't even put 10 rounds in the 60mm circle, if i understand the results correctly. I wasn't super excited but he told me that was about average for the RimX's he had tested. I bought some for a couple reasons. 1. What else are you going to buy right now? 2. I have a known accuracy for a couple years of matches. Now I know what to expect. It should be plenty accurate for NRL22. I sold my Vudoo, but in my mind I had some SK standard that shot .9 at 100. Looking back though I'm sure I subtracted .22, and I probably cherry picked a target, and that was at 100yds.
I asked about putting my can on- he said expect your results to go to crap ( my words). He said he has only had one customer who said his results improved. Hope that helps with your accuracy expectations.
Nice pile of gear! You are missing a mag extention!

Good info, didn't know you could send in your rifle to the center, I thought you had to be there. Which location did you use and do they charge?

*got the mag extensions, actually installing them now! Good catch!

Good info, didn't know you could send in your rifle to the center, I thought you had to be there. Which location did you use and do they charge?

*got the mag extensions, actually installing them now! Good catch!
Mesa, AZ $50 which they waive if you buy ammo ( sold by the case). There is a really good review on the home page.