• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ring alignment tool

jdgray

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2009
SW, MI.
Built this today to set up my windage adjustable base on my varmint rifle. I turned a piece of round stock in the lathe to exactly 1", and bored a hole down the center before I unchucked the piece. You can bore sight the rifle and and base, without using the scope to turn the front ring. After centering the crosshairs in the scope tube on my wooden v-block, you can recheck your bore sight job with the scope, then hit the range. Once you fire a few rounds, you can finish dialing in the base for windage, assuring the scope is perfectly parallel to the bore, and optically centered.

Scopetool001.jpg

Re: Ring alignment tool

Very nice job on a very useful tool for dovetail scope mounts.

I used a counter-shaft out of a Muncie 4-spd transmission for initial installation, then centered the windage. It always bothered me to adjust the windage screws with a scope in the rings.

Again, great job!

Kevin

Great idea. That would be categorized as "Advanced Poor boy bore sighting" saves torquing on the scope tube.

I used a sinclair tool similar to that on a Leupold STD base on a 700. The onlytime in my life that requied no windage to zero poa/poi at 100. 4 clicks elevation and I was in the x-ring. I also combined that tool with the wheeler level system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_1688.jpg

made this for lapping rings </div></div>
Do you have enough lapping compond on there? HA!!! I could drill and tap for a handle, thanks!!

Thanks guys... Drilling through that thing took forever, but worth it for a quick bore sight job. I'm sure the scope can handle the stress, but its nice to have the windage close, and rings aligned before hand.