• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring Contact with the center ball??

762Fundi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2006
First question is what do you call the ball that the tubes and turrets on a scope all connect to in the center of the scope?

Second can your rings make contact with this "ball" or is that bad?

I would think that as long as your scope rings do not try to bite into the chamfer as it flares to a larger diameter you would be ok. Same thing would apply to the objective and ocular ends as well. Give it a smidge of relief...

I always called it the "Erector Housing", but when I researched it everything said the "Erector Housing" is inside the tubes so I thought I was mistaken. Just as an FYI... Leupold and Trijicon CS have no idea what those are called, LOL. I have always avoided rings making contact with the Erector Housing but I am having difficulty or running out of options to get the eye relief and length of pull I want without ordering an extended type unimount for my ATACR 1x8. Thank you for the info!

A couple of common terms that manufacturers use are the or “turret housing” or “saddle.” Ideally, you want your rings centered between the turret housing and the flaring of the objective bell and eyepiece assembly. Obviously that placement doesn’t work on all setups, but it is the most ideal. Manufacturers tend to recommend at least 1/8” of clearance between the rings and any type of flaring on the main body tube (to include the turret housing), but this may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If the ring makes contact with any surface other than the tube, it can get a less than perfect grip on the surfaces of the tube and you can experience POI shift. It would be a good idea to check with your specific scope’s manufacturer or see if it’s mentioned in your owner’s manual.