• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring height effect?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I got my Leupold back after getting the erector repaired. I mounted it on a 20moa base on my Anschutz .22. I used some Leupold QRW rings I had. The rings are medium height.
The height of the base plus medium rings puts the scope higher than I like. I will get some low rings soon.
I have always understood that you should mount the scope as low as possible, but what will a scope mounted high do- other than make a good cheek weld a problem?

Jim

Re: Ring height effect?

you will get a sore neck.......unless you use a rabbits foot and some polished chicken bones......

I always thought a taller scope mount exacerbated the error due to rifle cant. Someone please confirm or deny.

I've read too that the higher the scope, the more recoil punishment it endures . . . although probably not an issue with your .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have always understood that you should mount the scope as low as possible, <span style="font-weight: bold">but what will a scope mounted high do- other than make a good cheek weld a problem?</span>
</div></div>

If you can sort out the cheek weld, no problem at all. Some stocks/rifle configurations are actually more comfortable with higher rings, specially in positions other than prone.

The effect of ring height to increase canting errors is very minor, specially if we are talking about LR shooting where a lot of angle is dialed into the scope erector already.

For a 22 the recoil effect is non existant, and for larger calibers the higher rings of tactical quality are more than strong enough.

Ring height does not effect ballistics. Only the amount the projo will strike based on parallel bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrPink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also increases the line of sight over bore height, which will effect external ballistic performance.</div></div>

Once you get your new zero data ,as long as you have a good stock cheek weld it should not matter that much, the problem is when you start moving your head around to get behind the scope you can introduce shooter parallex

I get very tired after shooting a rifle whose rings are too high. It's just too much work. even if I have a good cheek weld, if I have to work too hard and getting my head up there, it takes it's toll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ring height does not effect ballistics. Only the amount the projo will strike based on parallel bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrPink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also increases the line of sight over bore height, which will effect external ballistic performance.</div></div> </div></div>

Sorry, not a ballistics expert. Let me rephrase: Ring height will not change the trajectory of the bullet path. It will change the trajectory relative to the line of sight which will change your dope.

yup. Not trying to bash you.
smile.gif

Oh and fill out your profile.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you get your new zero data ,as long as you have a good stock cheek weld it should not matter that much, the problem is when you start moving your head around to get behind the scope you can introduce shooter parallex</div></div>

I've had this on a Mauser M03 Sporter. The rifle used a proprietary "square bridge" mount which set the scope higher than comfortable (I should have taken the adjustable stock version of the rifle I guess!) and I could not get a consistent/repeatable cheek weld.....result = inconsistent shot placement - it was really frustrating and took a lot of pleasure out of owning/shooting the rifle.

I have a 1941 Mauser 98/Zeiss Zielvier on an SSR mount....much the same problem but for some reason I can live with it better on this rifle...must be the history and lower expectations??

I'm waiting on a GAP M40A1 clone which I've spec'd with an MCM ADJ-HTG stock for just the same reason after reading a lot of comments that the comb on the standard HTG is just a little too low....

I think you'll find the low scope rings should solve the problem.