• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Height for AICS

Jonlow209

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
United States
Okay so this has probably been covered before but I don't have the time to find it because I am going to order it soon. What ring height do each of you people with the AICS 1.5 or 2.0 have for a scope lense objective of 50mm? I am going to build an AICS 1.5 and a Remington 700 varmint and going to use a Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50mm and later a Nightforce 5.5-25x50mm. I'm afraid about the cheekrest being to high for me to look into the scope, also I want some butler creeks.

Re: Ring Height for AICS

You know I used to worry about the same kinda things before getting the AICS, and rightfully so, it's almost a 1K! My advice is to wait till you get the stock mount the the R700, With me so far?

Then worry about the height of the mounts needed for the scope, trying to find an AICS is your biggest challenge. Unless you have one already, in that case if your not cleaned out the cheek rest is adjustable. I don't think scope mount are in as near supply shortages as the AICS.

Let us know what worked

YOu're getting an AICS 1.5 right? The cheekpiece is adjustable. If you have the barreled action you just need to figure out what height you need for it. Check the FAQ in the optics forum for ways to figure that out.

The AI stock is a bit high compared to others, even with the cheek piece all the way down. Min height i could use was .92 high. Otherwise, i had a problem getting low enough for a good sight picture.

i'm using BO standard heigth on one and Seekins lows on another.(AICS 2.0s) so it depends on the shape of your head to some extent.

I'm running the USMC DMR rings on my 1.5 with a Surgeon action. My objective is only 44mm but I just couldnt get a good sight picture until I purchased these. I bought them to fit me comfortably, not because of the objective bell. I'm 6 feet tall with a fat jaw and tall face. So this set up fit me perfect. However, this same set up is a little tall on my A-5. I use mediums on my A-5 with the same scope. Hope this helps.

I tried .885" height rings at first on my AICS 1.5 LA and they were too low for me to get a good sight picture. After trying a set of 1.00" rings (which were better) I found that 1.125" height rings were perfect for me. I'm sure that the shooters physical characteristics are important in choosing rings for the AICS.

I'm using the Seekins 34 Highs .97 on my S&B 5-25x56. #7 contour barrel, AICS 1.0. Just about the perfect height.

Lot of it has to do with your base too.

I had a 1.5 that I was running with an IOR 20moa base and Acculock lows that was perfect with the cheek all the way down. Fit me well enough that I didn't get the 1.5 on my next AICS as the 1.0's cheekpiece is the same height as the 1.5's all the way down.

Oh okay, well fyi i am going to get a seekins 20 moa base. I am probably going to buy the seekins med high rings that are .92" high. thanks for all the info

+1 for SpotcheckBilly. I had BO med highs and went recently to BO Highs at 1.123 for a 56mm NXS. Cheek weld issues resolved.

Guys I am not a rifle expert but have shot trap for 35 years and everyone take something different to get that cheek spot weld. So it takes different height for everyone. I think its better to be a little high .

Several correct comments and solide advice. Glenn nailed the height issue due to the rail design and head positioning with the AICS. I recommend no lower 1" rings unless the end user has a really high cheek bone and thin face normally. If your pic rail is a thicker model compared to the Leupold, BO and NF, then you can sometimes get away with the .885" area rings.

1.125 high rings (NF) are just barely high enough on my AICS/Surgeon rifle to clear a 56mm NF scope, and not enough for good sight picture. I need a set of 1.250 rings due to the low rail on the Surgeon action