• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ring height question?

locotrician

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
North east, united states
i know this has been asked and i know how to figure out the exact height i need if i have the rifle in my possession i however do not have my components yet and i know someone here has the same or similar set up. Rem 700 long action 20 moa base with broughton heavy palma contour barrel. scope is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 .anyone know the lowest rings i can get away with . i havent decided on brand yet but it will be badger, nightforce, seekins, or farrell leaning towards seekins or farrell. thanks.

Re: ring height question?

i have already read the above posted thread and as i have said in my initial post i know exactly how to figure out required height if i have all components on hand i however do not have them so i am unable to do so. i am looking for someone that has a similar set up that can offer advice on whcich height i need. if i had the rifle in front of me i would used the modeling clay method as i find it to be the easiest. thank you.

Bases can vary in height quite a bit (farrell to badger is over an eigth of an inch) and as I said, without that piece of the puzzle, similar doesn't matter.

But it sounds like you have it under control and there's nothing I could add.....

Hello, for what its worth.. I have a 56mm obj springfield scope on a remington 700 5r using a badger 20moa base and standard height rings. I have a flip up cap on the scope and it almost touches the barell.
Hope this helps..
Chris

where you mount changes the height as well. forward is lower. and bbl. taper changes things too.
borrow some rings and see where you end up then order the correct pair

thanks to all who replied....especially sobrbiker for your smarass remark....yes i see you have thousands of posts and i have mere 30 something . i prefer to spend my time shooting and outdoors and really only post on the internet if i have a question but thanks. am i supposed to bow in your presence when you didnt even have anything to contribute to the specific question i asked? i said specifically that i dont have parts on hand to measure for this and you post a link telling me basically to measure my parts.

I gave you enough information to ask the right questions, without having the parts in hand.

If you were to figure out the right questions to ask, there are many here that have that scope and a set of calipers that could get you the measurements you need to know exactly how high of a base you would need with how high of rings to have your objective as low as possible off your barrel, and your erector housing as low as possible to your base.

You have the rifle, the info is here for the asking. If I had that model NF I could have measured my objective and furnished you with that, but I don't.

Did you want folks here to go to Farrell's site, get the measurements for their rings, do the math on how high your centerline would be, then how high of a base you would need to clear how much lower your barrel is from the top of your receiver at the distance out you'd expect the objective to be, and then spoon feed that to you?

I have a 58mm objective mounted in VTac 35mm lows and the objective is about .010" off my barrel with a M24/MTU contour tube-does that help you (of course not!).

Good luck with your mounting, and keep in mind that you asked the question. Your second post is correct, and if anyone with the same barrel contour and that scope shares what rings they use be sure to ask what base as well, then consider BadBot's point.

You may be right, me having a high post count may mean that I don't get out and shoot, and that I am just parroting shit I read online and have no practical experience with a precision rifle and putting them together.
Then again, you may be wrong.......

I hope train's are easier to work on than rifles......

i troubleshoot 2.5 million dollar locomotives for a living what do you do? oh wait im sure you will say your a biochemist or an army ranger or something really cool or that you have to be very intelligent to do . perhaps we can make an inference or two from your screen name.... you didnt provide me with anything i asked for i specifically said i dont need the info for how to mount it if you have all the parts in front of you as i have none of them they are on order and going to be shipped to my smith so your info is useless to me......
and i am not a gunsmith but i am an IBEW electrician that makes living troubleshooting complex electrical systems so your assumption that i am better at working on locomotives than i am at working on rifles is most likely correct....... but i dont work so i can work on my rifles i work so i can shoot them.

I notice that people tend to overestimate the height of rings they need. For a 56mm objective, I would say that you are good to go with mediums, which are 0.885" in most cases. But the height of your base is the limiting factor. I would look up the specs of the components you are thinking of getting, and then throw the measurements into the equation.

loco,

A NF 56mm scope takes a #51 Butler Creek scope cover. A #51 cover has an ID of 2.575".

Does that help?