• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring height?

M14Msgt

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
Peoples Republik of CA
How do I figure which ring height to go with? I have a Burris Fullfield II tactical 4.5-14x42 that has a 1 inch tube. It's going on an M1A with a Sadlak mount. Burris XTR rings come in the following:

Low - 1/4" high
Medium - 1/2" high
High - 3/4" high
Extra High - 1" high

Re: Ring height?

Do you already have the optic and mount for the M1A? If so i would try to shim it up and use the lowest you can and get a comfortable (natural feeling) cheek weld. Then just use the mount height closest to that. I dont think clearance will be an issue on a M1A.

Another thing i do from time to time is go by walmart or somewhere like that with cheap mounts. From there you can just mount the bottom of the ring and see what height works. While i dont use the rings to shoot with they are good for height testing on a 1" tube. Its good to releve the threads some if they are exposed to the slot on your mount so your not left with marks from the threads. Dont ask how i know
frown.gif

Re: Ring height?

Looked at the Sadlak mount site and they are a decent height in their own before rings so the Burris low rings should work fine with that 42mm objective.

Remember that Burris measures their rings different than others in that they do it drom the base to the bottom of the scope where most others go to the center of the scope tube so with those 1" rings you need to add .5" if you plan to compare heights to other types of rings.