• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring mounting question

ashland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
MS
When mounting the rings, which side of the rifle do the locking nuts belong. Or does it matter? Using Badger base and rings.

Re: Ring mounting question

Doesnt really matter, but I put them on the opposite side of the loading port/bolt.

Theres only one side!
locking nuts belong on the opposite side than the bolt handle.
And yes there is a reason why

Thanks guys. I'll put them opposite the bolt handle. Headed to RO this summer and didn't want to remount rings. 467 could you expand or is there a thread explaining why?

I was told it didn't really matter and I was also told that some rings are meant to be mounted one direction and not the other. I personally prefer to have the nuts opposite the bolt side but just to elimnate any discussion I used Seekins rings which don't have a nut to snag on.

It depends...

Check the bottom of the rings and look at the rail bolt. For instance, the Burris xtreme tactical rings can only be mounted one way. The flat surface needs to be flush against the forward picatinny slots. That puts the bolts on the left side of the rifle.