• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Ring my Bell- California Fire caught on Right Door bells

This happened to my family when i was maybe 19. It was a MUCH smaller fire. My dad never called or communicated with me while at work but when he said "get home" i knew it was bad.

Turns out some lady around the hill had a fire pit party she did not put out properly.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Damn!!!

Im more uptight than that.

When its real danger, I get my family the hell outta the way ASAP.

If they think it might get to me, packin and going. Or at least sending momma and the kids.

Prayers for all those in California dealing with this. Even the senseless liberals.
Terrible terrible stuff

There are some really stupid comments on that video .
No power and fires too .
Yea , California is a national model for the rest of America .:sick:

When the Santa Ana winds kick up, they will knock over the Weber Propane grills on our shared deck

50-70 mph is where things can top out at my place.

If you are in canyon country, embers can and do move a long way when the winds pick up

The keys for living in a fire zone- many don’t follow
Water or remove the overgrown plants
No wood fence- solid block is best- metal is ok too

but you need the spark resistant vents for the roof

learn from Malibu- don’t keep vegetation against the house

etc

I feel like if a wall of fire was coming toward me I would flee long before it gets that close.

i just question if a wildfire is all that predictable, could it have changed direction and then came their way???
seeing the fire and then noticing the wind in the tree, you know its over then.
poor folks i wish them our best

When the Santa Ana winds kick up, they will knock over the Weber Propane grills on our shared deck

50-70 mph is where things can top out at my place.

If you are in canyon country, embers can and do move a long way when the winds pick up

The keys for living in a fire zone- many don’t follow
Water or remove the overgrown plants
No wood fence- solid block is best- metal is ok too

but you need the spark resistant vents for the roof

learn from Malibu- don’t keep vegetation against the house

etc

The Fence is key to keeping your house from burning down. A friend of mine had to go knock down fences around their houses in AZ during a brush fire to keep them from spreading to the house.

The other super useful thing to do, which is almost illegal these days in Communist California, is to clear a big firebreak around an area, down to the dirt.

We used to do that by hand and hoe every year when we lived where fires were a yearly seasonal event.

The rapidly increasing wind from the temperature difference zone racing ahead of the fire front is pretty amazing to watch... From a distance. Looked like a storm directly from hell approaching. Evokes religious and badass imagery of heavily armed skeletal bikers and horsemen.

Just watching some newsfeed earlier. California is about to take another beating and it seems to have just started. Already an area larger than San Francisco have been devastated. Prayers going out to the good and righteous folks who are still in that state for whatever family, economic, or career reasons...

Been there....with only a 10 min warning. Sometimes you just don't get any more time
If you haven't been through that kind of hell, you have no place arm-chair quarterbacking.
Godspeed to all in the path.

Last edited:
@oneshot86

Wildfires to have a pretty decent degree of predictability.

And a degree of “WTF!!!”

From prevailing wind direction, usual weather pattern, moisture over last year (effects fuel loads), humidity, etc.

My friend’s dad is a wild fire behavior expert.
Retired. Still gets called upon to consult and tell them what he thinks.

Its amazing and scary.

Prayers for all the folks. Even the fools.

I fought some forest fires in northern NM in my younger days. They can produce their own wind and being close to crowning Ponderosa is a scary thing . Its like being next to a 60' match stick. A good read is Norman MacClean's "Young Men and Fire"

By the time the fire enters those types of residential neighborhoods it’s usually too late for many defensible space precautions. Wild land Urban Interface fire prevention efforts break down fast if there are multiple structures involved, there’s just too much fuel and explosive shit in houses.

The zoning and permitting process for all these cities needs to be revisited. A true fire break needs to be established around communities, additional evacuation routes need to be created, and some places need to be off limits to housing.

And you can’t force a utility to bow down to bullshit “clean” energy reqs that drain the operating profits to the point that upkeep suffers. Perfect storm of stupidity by the State. The greenhouse gasses emitted from these fires are orders of magnitude above what they are claiming to save.

No one deserves the consequences of these piss poor and sadly lethal decisions that continue to be made

No water pressure? Saving water to the bitter end is the California way I guess? It probably would not hurt to put a few sprinklers out, on the roof or even run the yard sprinklers until water pressure drops just in case it saved some of your crap. I know it is a big fire but wet stuff does not burn as much.

The second mystery is why the hell is anything in California still made of flammable plastic siding, composite shingles and wood?

had a prarie fire here last year, traveled across a section in 3 1/2 minutes. For those that don't know, a section is 1mile x 1 mile. That sucker moved. Stopped about a mile from our home, some discing , short grass and a road finally stopped it. Started at the gun range 4 miles away with someone shooting tracers

SE AZ High Desert, middle of the past years' fire zone. "Lizard" fire was in sight 1-2mi West the whole time.

Cyclone fence, concrete planters.

Crushed rock instead of lawn. All shrubbery poisoned/pulled.

Stucco exterior, concrete mission tile roof.

All "landscaping" is rock/stone.

Evac packages packed and staged.

No exposed fuel of any kind on the property.

Probably won't help, the neighbors have done absolutely nothing.

Greg

When is California NOT on fire? Pretty much never...

1572461324402.png

Reactions: rg1911

Had to do that with the Black Forest fire in Colorado. Wind shifted and the cops gave me 30 minutes to clear out and I didn't have any help. Still don't know how I carried the footlocker full of handguns (and I mean full) out of the basement and into the car. Nothing like a little adrenaline.

The only two people who died were friends.

I made sure I'm not surrounded by a forest here in Wyoming and there's bare dirt or gravel all around the house.

• Sad
Reactions: powdahound76