• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring on 123 ELD-M after seating

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
I am working up loads for my new 6.5CM Rem 700 ADL Varmint (26" HB, Bravo Stock, TT trigger, Vortex optics). One odd thing I've noticed is that when I seat the 123 gr. Hornady ELD-M bullets, after seating there is a light ring around the circumference of the bullet about 1/3 of the way down from the tip. I'm using the std. Forster benchrest seating die to seat the bullets. I use a similar Forster die seating my 75gr. BTHP bullets in .223 and have never seen a ring. Any thoughts as to what this might be from, and if it's an issue?

Last edited:
Take the top half with the stem off the seater and see where it hits the bullet. Supposedly you can send ti to forster and they will polish it for you. Or you can give it a try yourself
1574370129677.png

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it tonight to see where it's hitting. I can't imagine it would harm accuracy, but it is just annoying to look at.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it tonight to see where it's hitting. I can't imagine it would harm accuracy, but it is just annoying to look at.
Used to bug me also but now I dont fret over it unless I can feel it when dragging my finger nail across the mark.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Used to bug me also but now I dont fret over it unless I can feel it when dragging my finger nail across the mark.

I was about to ask if anyone ever noticed the difference. I have some that mark, I don't worry about it. I had one that pushed on the tip of the bullet. I don't remember if bad juju happened, but I changed stems. I think I only seated a couple before noticing and rectifying.

I figure once I seat enough bullets with it, it will lap itself.

Any chance you’re loading a compressed charge? Have seen that create a similar ring on some 6.5 bullets in full 100%+ charge 6.5 Grendel loads. Likely doubtful in CM, but just another data point to eliminate.

Bobke, no I'm not at a compressed charge. I'm actually closer to a starting load than max load per the OCW testing I did. It must be because of the bullet profile of the ELD-M (as compared to the dozens and dozens of other bullets out there). Must be difficult to make seating stems that work perfectly with all the bullet profiles out there, and all the new ones being introduced.

As I mentioned, my Forster die in .223 works just fine with no ring seating Hornady 75 BTHP's in my .223. Certainly a more traditional profile. Thanks for the comments!

Was just going to ask the same question. I am getting a ring also on my Hornady 140gr ELD bullets. Using a Redding seating die...

Another weird question but what is your neck tension? And are you chamfering? You might not need to fuck with your die at all. I get this ring when I’m making “bulk” rounds in 223 with any bullet when I don’t chamfer (I’m lazy) and I truly don’t believe my red dot rifle cares about that ring.

Neck tension I'll have to check. I'm just using a stock Forster seating die, no bushings or custom hone. Yes, I do chamfer my cases for rifle cartridges before seating.