• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Recommendations?

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've a new-to-me Nightforce 8x36x56 scope for a rifle project, and need to know what height of 30mm rings I'll need to purchase. I'll be using a 20 MOA base in conjunction, if that impacts stuff. As you can probably surmise, I'm new to this long range game....

Also, looking for recommendations on reputable brands, and sources for purchase. I'm familiar with some brands (Badger, Seekins, etc), just wondering if there are others to consider.

Thanks,

The Kaiser

Re: Ring Recommendations?

How about Nightforce
wink.gif

I really like the tps rings, and bases. I mounted my mark 4 on a 700 sps tac with them. they have some great customer service too. well they did in my case anyhow.

I like Burris XTR rings,,I think you'd need the medium height for a bolt rifle with that obj.I know the 50 obj takes low rings

In addition to Seekins I run TPS and Acculoks. I never tossed out the dough for Badgers.......

Near Mfg has a 30mm Alpha mount. I have two of Richard's 34mm Alpha mounts; one for my S&B and one for my PR. I had my S&B in the Alpha Mount for over 100 rounds on a heavy recoiling rifle. On a whim, I removed the scope to check for marks. There were none. The Alpha Mounts are one-piece mounts with the rings all connected integrally to a long bottom ring half. It bolts on to a p-rail or a weaver rail. There's so much mount-to-scope contact that the scope is protected. The Alpha Mounts aren't cheap, but then...you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Kaiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have to say, I find the price of the TPS rings attractive. Will medium height work with the 56mm objective then?

Kaiser Norton </div></div>

You would need to go high with the 56mm objective.

I've always used the leupold MK4 rings with zero issues... The Nightforce titanium rings are appealing though! Feather weight.

I use Seekins. After comparing my Seekins to the new Mk4 rings we got in, I don't think I will be buying any Mk4 in the future. The Seekins are just much better finished. They will both work, but I like the Seekins.

Badger are another option, but I am not crazy about the big nut on the side.

The Kaiser,

I use Burris Signature Zee rings exclusively on all my rifles. They are not as stout as Badger Rings. They are not a well finished nor as light as Seekins Rings. They are not designed as well as Nightforce rings.

But with the self aligning plastic inserts, I can always insure that my scope is optically centered even if the my action screws are a tad off. No lapping necessary. No ring marks on my scopes is a boon as well.

If I subjected my rifles to more abuse, as in the military or a LEO does, or if I threw my rifle off the shoothouse roof more often
smile.gif
, I might choose differently. But I'm just an amateur, and I buy what works for me, and my level of abuse.

YMMV,

Bob

also have the sig zee rings and seem to work great although thr whole plastic insert thing makes you wonder.no issues so far though.

Badger medium rings on a Badger 20 MOA mount with a 6x24 42mm Sightron scope, can't complain at all. I like their close tolerances and that they come in a matched set.

As far as help on ring height, you'll need to do some homework. I take the difference between the tube diameter and the scope bell and then divided that by 2. That tells me how much the scope bell will drop below the scope tube and thus the bottom of the ring. I then take a square from the mount and measure the total drop between the mount and barrel contour then subtract that total from the bell drop giving me the minimum ring height to clear the barrel.