• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Ring Standards and Level Scopes

bricktop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
State College, PA
I'm curious why no standards ever came about for some type of notch or groove on the bottom of the scope tubes to match up with the appropriate rings, ensuring that the scope is level. Thought about this while mounting a scope last night; it would be pretty easy to implement on scopes, and it would still allow compatibility with standard rings, but allow auto-level with rings with a mating surface. Any thoughts? Or has it been tried before?

Re: Ring Standards and Level Scopes

While not a bad idea, it assumes that the rings will always be sitting level with the receiver. If such a system were in use, variations in base and receiver dimensions might force you to mount an optic canted, whether you wanted to or not.

Something similar that I have on hand is an old Steiner 4x24 for a G3. It has lugs on the bottom of the tube that bolt into a groove on the throw-lever base. Fortunately the scope sits pretty level, but I've tried an old Hensoldt on the same rifle that was off level by probably 10 degrees.

If given the choice, I'd prefer the flexibility offered by conventional rings rather than relying on manufacturing tolerances to keep things in line.