• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring Wobble

wcjake15

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
kentucky, US
I just purchased a new savage MKII BTVS with a heavy barrel and it came with (supposed) weaver bases that came with it. I purchased a set of Burris steel zee rings and started to mount them and once they were all tightened down the were still wobbley and the bases weren't wide enough and the notches in the bases were to wide so the rings slide foreward and back while tightened down all the way. So I dont know if the bases aren't the right size, the gun book says that they are drilled and taped for the factory weaver style bases and the rings are weaver too so I dont know what the problem is. I may just toss the bases and get an EGW 20MOA base, but will the Zee rings still work on teh EGW base? any help that will get me out shooting is appreciated.
Here are the rings that I have.

Optics sale

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: Ring Wobble

Get the EGW picatinny base (20moa if you intend on shooting to 200yds). The Zee rings should work fine on the EGW rail.

i'd get the egw base also, however it does raise up the height a bit, so if you use the same rings, you may have a cheek weld / eye alignment problem. (with the egw, if you have high height rings, you may need medium, if you have medium, you may need low. the 20 moa is nice to have, and the picatinny rail give you lots of optons for eyerelief, etc.)

I also got a btvs .22LR in late april. I now have the EWG 20 moa rail and love it.( www.ewg-guns.com ) Their sight was helpful. Although the savage is a mark II BTVS their instructions had me measure the port size and I ordered as if a savage 93 mount. Bolted up great.

As to the cheek weld, I found that with the supplied mounts my bushnell elite 6500 2.5X16 50mm with leupold QRW 30 mm low bases only had about 1/32" from the front bell to the barrel. (Actually they might be medium bases, I have a few packages floating around and my memory is not the greatest) Also it was really hard to squeeze my face into the stock to get a full sight picture at the higher magnifications with the original bases. I'm a lefty and anyone trying to shoot it right was almost impossible to get a full sight picture.

When I put the EGW rail on it solved all that. I also bought a picatinny rail from EGW for my browning A-bolt 300 win mag. Now swapping the scope out and back is great with return to zero about 1/2 moa or better. I just recorded my zeros from bottom and left stops (screwed all the way in) With both 20 moa rails I only have to adjust a few MOA between rifles.

For me the 300 win mag 100 yard zeros are 28MOAup 46MOA right and the BTVS is 50yard zero 30up 42 right depending on ammo (the scope has over 80MOA in both and should be good to out to 400 on the BTVS)

I'll upload a photo of the new baby later. Just having a hoot shooting it. I got out to our hunt camp right after I got it and sighted it in at 100. Then started shooting a 10" steel gong at 280 yards that we had set up. I didn't have any ballistics charts with me or my sierra program so I was guessing on the new zero. It took about 80 rounds to get on target. (mostly marsh between target so couldn't make out all the hits) Cheep American Eagle 40 gr solids shot great. Once on target I was hitting no less that 3 out 5 and sometimes all 5/5 shots. I shots a few hundred after that. About 28MOA up from 100 yards got me on metal. Wind was a bit of an issue for the last 1/3 of the range but left the it along and used Mil dot holds. I'm learning and loving it.

This was my first post on this site. Lots of great info out there. I hope this post helps.

Mark

I just checked it and the rings I have are the Leupold QRW rings medium #49863 with a base to ring base height 0.350" (My high ones are 0.475 base to ring base)

I snapped a couple of pictures but don't have a web link yet so I can't upload them yet.

sorry